Thread: RETRO Magazine Year Two Kickstarter LIVE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RETRO Magazine Year Two Kickstarter LIVE

Just an FYI our next Kickstarter campaign is live. Help us make RETRO bigger and better. Adding some exciting new writers including possibly Garry Kitchen and Q*Bert's (Gottlieb and Williams) Warren Davis. Going to be a great new year with more pages and cool content!

Just an FYI our next Kickstarter campaign is live. Help us make RETRO bigger and better. Adding some exciting new writers including possibly Garry Kitchen and Q*Bert's (Gottlieb and Williams) Warren Davis. Going to be a great new year with more pages and cool content you won't find anywhere else.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...azine-year-two

Thanks again everyone!

Mike

Thanks again everyone!

Mike

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It's appalling you couldn't even manage the initial barrel of cash to last more than a year. Why do people give you money again? Are you trying to break the record for failed business ventures in the classic community?

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

So you're going to beg for money every year while continuing to charge a subscription fee?! No thank you.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    So you're going to beg for money every year while continuing to charge a subscription fee?! No thank you.
    Well you can back at $30 and get 6 printed issues plus PDF's, which is $3 cheaper than the sub rate. Or for $18 you get 6 digital issues, again, same as the sub rate. There's no "extra" cost.

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    It's appalling you couldn't even manage the initial barrel of cash to last more than a year. Why do people give you money again? Are you trying to break the record for failed business ventures in the classic community?
    I've enjoyed each issue, and look forward to more. CGE was well received. I'll have to double check the Webster definition of failed though. I must be mistaken.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I backed the original for the print subscription. The magazine is good quality, but really not very entertaining or informative to me as an active member of several retro communities, so I'm not continuing my subscription.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    To be fair, it clearly states that year 2 is good to go without the funds. The funds however are there to make the content bigger and better.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I'm really sad I didn't go for the first one or get a subscription. Now I can't get the older issues. : (

I got in on this one though.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I'm really sad I didn't go for the first one or get a subscription. Now I can't get the older issues. : (

I got in on this one though.
    I'll sell you mine.

R@RE out of print, $500 for the set

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do you have the same writing staff as the first year? That right there would influence my interest entirely. I do find it odd needing a kickstarter if the magazine is successful on what came in the first time around plus subs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I'll sell you mine.

R@RE out of print, $500 for the set
    Oh!

Of course... just let me find my credit card.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Magazines are a dying industry for a reason. I am pretty sure there is zero reason to read this other than pretending you can't google everything you could have ever wanted to know about these old systems and games. Pat the NES punk is on the staff?!?! No thanks.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Kickstarter program is a good deal since you get a subscription to the mag and, hopefully, make it bigger and better in the process. For the classic gaming community to mature, these types of projects should be encouraged, not disparaged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Do you have the same writing staff as the first year? That right there would influence my interest entirely. I do find it odd needing a kickstarter if the magazine is successful on what came in the first time around plus subs.
    Yes, most contribs are returning with a couple of exceptions as their jobs were conflicting with their contributing to RETRO. You can see a current list of contribs on the Kickstarter page. We will be adding Mr. Warren Davis to write about his first hand accounts working in the arcade industry (Gottlieb, Williams, Bally Midway). And Garry Kitchen might be joining the team as well for a recurring column. And a few others will be added hopefully before the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Kickstarter is used by many companies for follow up campaigns mainly for its inherent marketing opportunity. Like I've said, we've been continuing to sell 100-200 subscriptions each month since our last Kickstarter ended. So, we were committed to year two regardless of the outcome of this current Kickstarter campaign. In the end it has brought in over 400-500+ (13 days to go) new subscribers in a month giving us more money to grow the magazine. So everyone wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboomer View Post
    Yes, most contribs are returning with a couple of exceptions as their jobs were conflicting with their contributing to RETRO. You can see a current list of contribs on the Kickstarter page. We will be adding Mr. Warren Davis to write about his first hand accounts working in the arcade industry (Gottlieb, Williams, Bally Midway). And Garry Kitchen might be joining the team as well for a recurring column. And a few others will be added hopefully before the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Kickstarter is used by many companies for follow up campaigns mainly for its inherent marketing opportunity. Like I've said, we've been continuing to sell 100-200 subscriptions each month since our last Kickstarter ended. So, we were committed to year two regardless of the outcome of this current Kickstarter campaign. In the end it has brought in over 400-500+ (13 days to go) new subscribers in a month giving us more money to grow the magazine. So everyone wins.
    I supported the first Kickstarter and renewed my subscription for next year. However, there have only been 4 issues so far this year. Meaning there needs to be two more issues before 2015. Are you going to try to 'throw something together' just to get it out in time, or are you going to bleed into 2015?