Thread: Storing/Playing Consoles in a drawer

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Storing/Playing Consoles in a drawer

Currently, my set-up is that I have a TV on my desk, and a Retron 3 and an N64 each in a drawer in said desk (college makes you get creative). Is this okay? Do I pose my consoles any risk, such as heat, by being in a drawer? I ask only because my Retron 3 literally just stopped working, and I have no idea why. I didnt know if my drawer playing had anything to do with this phenomena.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it may speak to the quality of the Retron3 more than anything. I would just open the drawer a bit to air them out when in use and have them go to a power strip on the outside so you can completely shut them down with the switch.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The consoles are currently connected to an external (from their drawers) power strip, and they are unplugged after use. Maybe it was just a crappy retron? It has worked fine ever since I got it, but this has freaked me out about having my N64 in a similar place. Its not as if I keep the drawers closed when playing

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, could the power strip being mounted with Velcro have anything to do with it?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    Also, could the power strip being mounted with Velcro have anything to do with it?

I would't think so.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If when they were in use you had the drawer well open enough to allow for clear ventilation, then the R3 just crapped out. I wouldn't trust any of those old cheaply made clones as they're of even crappier flimsy parts than the original run of the R5 was they got forced into making right very recently.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Photo of how it plays

So this is how I have my N64 set up to play in my drawer. Is there any possible way that this is dangerous?

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.28.16 AM.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  20.1 KB

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    So this is how I have my N64 set up to play in my drawer. Is there any possible way that this is dangerous?

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.28.16 AM.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  20.1 KB

If the drawer is open like that when you are playing there is zero reason it would make a difference. It would be no different than having it in a entertainment center with the doors open.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    If the drawer is open like that when you are playing there is zero reason it would make a difference. It would be no different than having it in a entertainment center with the doors open.
    Hmmm. Good to hear, I suppose. I just have no idea why the retron quit working completely out of the blue...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cheap chinese parts that Hyperkin just rebadged and boxed into their own systems. They never really had anything 'designed' up until the off the rack Android running parts for the R5. All those old clones are junk, just varying degrees of junk between what they fail to run or run right and how bad the parts or exterior shell is. I'm not saying the R5 is a total 180, but a greater step in the right direction to sucking a whole lot less with their quiet second version of the system. I would be happy to have a cabinet like that where I could pull it out so far and have a system in it that could be totally hidden away as there's no ventilation issue there at all with it out. The only system you could kill in that would be one that sleeps (Wii, PS3, 360 and later) because they always generate heat being on.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Cheap chinese parts that Hyperkin just rebadged and boxed into their own systems. They never really had anything 'designed' up until the off the rack Android running parts for the R5. All those old clones are junk, just varying degrees of junk between what they fail to run or run right and how bad the parts or exterior shell is. I'm not saying the R5 is a total 180, but a greater step in the right direction to sucking a whole lot less with their quiet second version of the system. I would be happy to have a cabinet like that where I could pull it out so far and have a system in it that could be totally hidden away as there's no ventilation issue there at all with it out. The only system you could kill in that would be one that sleeps (Wii, PS3, 360 and later) because they always generate heat being on.
    I am happy with the setup so far. At college, I'm a little more limited in my space, so setting it up like this allowed me to have a designated retro area. I got sick of looking at my N64 on an LED tv to be honest.