Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Default Punch out style MD game

Hey everyone,
    I posted this over on NintendoAge, and it seems like this idea was well received, so I'd like to present it to everyone here (as well as other gaming communities):

I'd love to make a Punch Out style game, but I would like the boxing opponents to be forum members. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to add everyone who is interested, but I was thinking that people could submit a character bio for the game, and then have a vote/poll to see what characters everyone likes.

The plan is to "clone" punch out, but also have other mechanics and changes to make it unique enough to not be just a straight clone of the game.

Anyway, what's everyone's thoughts about this? Is this something you'd like to see happen? Would you want to be a boxer in the game?

Thanks for reading!
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would rather the other boxers be famous old school developers. There are so many you could use as well.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I would rather the other boxers be famous old school developers. There are so many you could use as well.
    That's kind of a cool idea, use a Neptunia type premise reversed where each character is a manly(maybe?) interpretation of the developer.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    That's kind of a cool idea, use a Neptunia type premise reversed where each character is a manly(maybe?) interpretation of the developer.
    I would love to see it. You could even include Peter Moore since he fucked over my beloved Dreamcast.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

A few of us had considered this idea after it was mentioned here, but we feel that sticking to characters based off of the retro gaming community for those that would like their likeness in the game is the best route, as homebrew games are made for those of us in the community to enjoy (and if anyone outside of the community enjoys them, that's just a bonus in my eyes).

That's not to say that if we can contact a developer from the period, and they're okay with us using their likeness, I don't see why that one (or more) developer from the period couldn't be tossed in as a hidden boxer

Anyway, onto some news about the project:
    A contest is being put on by the artist for those to submit their own designs for boxing shorts and gloves, if anyone is interested!

Here's the rules: http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=138624

For those who haven't registered at NintendoAge, that's okay! Nobody has to register at any other forum if they don't need to. All submissions are to be emailed to submissions@airwalkstudios.com so everything is in 1 centralized location

I will also be putting the "Submit Your Boxer" information on the Airwalk Studios website, so everyone can submit their boxer ideas for themselves. I'll keep everyone posted!

Thanks for the support with this project

ETA: Link to contests: http://www.airwalkstudios.com/affini...nsite/contest/
    Last edited by dra600n; 11-22-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great idea from a marketing standpoint since it's a pretty niche market putting potential customers in the game is pretty smart imagine this will sell well

Why are you making a nintendo game with nintendo fans on a sega console though? I'm guessing so people don't assume it's a hack but still seems pretty odd.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by drunk3nj3sus View Post
    Great idea from a marketing standpoint since it's a pretty niche market putting potential customers in the game is pretty smart imagine this will sell well

Why are you making a nintendo game with nintendo fans on a sega console though? I'm guessing so people don't assume it's a hack but still seems pretty odd.
    It's inspired by a Nintendo game, but won't be identical/exact clone. There will be some things in there to definitely make it its own game, though still feel familiar to Punch Out (sort of like Wonderboy was inspired by Adventure Island {or is it the other way around? I forget these things :P }). I hope that kind of clears up some confusion.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    It's inspired by a Nintendo game, but won't be identical/exact clone. There will be some things in there to definitely make it its own game, though still feel familiar to Punch Out (sort of like Wonderboy was inspired by Adventure Island {or is it the other way around? I forget these things :P }). I hope that kind of clears up some confusion.
    Oh yeah I didn't mean to infer it'd be a straight up clone, just thought it was odd making it for a sega console rather than nintendo one. Think wonderboy was first although I'm not all that sure wonderboy 3 was the only game I liked out of either series.

Good luck on the project though I'll definitely buy a copy if the price isn't ridiculous. Have you put out any other homebrew games prior to this?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Oh yeah I didn't mean to infer it'd be a straight up clone, just thought it was odd making it for a sega console rather than nintendo one. Think wonderboy was first although I'm not all that sure wonderboy 3 was the only game I liked out of either series.

Good luck on the project though I'll definitely buy a copy if the price isn't ridiculous. Have you put out any other homebrew games prior to this?
    Oh okay And yea, you might be right about Wonderboy.

I did Hangman SG a few years back (very primitive, first game I did on the genesis), followed up with Fix-It Felix Jr. (available for download on the Airwalk Studios site) As far as pricing is concerned, a CIB wouldn't ever exceed $60, unless it comes with extra goodies, and cart only would fall somewhere in between $25.00 and $37.50.

I am intending on releasing a demo rom so people will be able to try it out before they decide to buy it as well

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Checked out Fix it Felix Jr. on youtube, not my type of game but it looks really well done.

Prices are real reasonable

What may be a good idea since it's a genesis game is have a cart with box version & a fancier CIB with extras version because although I'm not a CIB/complete type collector all my genesis games are boxed since they're not cardboard and pretty affordable. You could probably charge like $10 extra just for the box and it'd sell better than the cart only.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Checked out Fix it Felix Jr. on youtube, not my type of game but it looks really well done.

Prices are real reasonable

What may be a good idea since it's a genesis game is have a cart with box version & a fancier CIB with extras version because although I'm not a CIB/complete type collector all my genesis games are boxed since they're not cardboard and pretty affordable. You could probably charge like $10 extra just for the box and it'd sell better than the cart only.
    Thank you for the compliment

That's sort of what I do now. I'm not sure what would be included with the CIB+extras yet, but a CIB without extras will definitely be offered, with extras will be most likely a limited edition, and there will also be a cart only option for those non-CIB collectors and gamers, as well as gamers on a budget.