Thread: Well this sure doesnt add up....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Well this sure doesnt add up....

Whats usually the most expensive genre when it comes to video games? RPG's

Ok how about RPG's for more obscure consoles and consoles that werent really popular when they were released? (For example the Sega Saturn)

Well that usually adds more to the price....

and as a general note games published by Working Designs are even more expensive.

Then why is Cosmic Fantasy 2 for the TurboGrafx CD so cheap? Its around $60.00

and not only that its brand new

ebay has a bunch of them for sale actually.

So did these turn up some place later on? Like a bunch of copies of this game that were not sold. whats the deal

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yes. Several sealed cases were in storage when Working Designs closed shop from what I've heard. Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Exile were both unearthed, and as such are way more available than they otherwise would be. The supply seems to be dwindling down, though, as they'd been around $40 for the longest time.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

No complaints here. I picked up both titles a few years ago from someone on this site. I wish more retro stock was that inexpensive.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah? Thats interesting how are the games? Worth the price or not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cosmic Fantasy 2 is fantastic. I had it back in the later half of the 90s/early00 when I had my Duo before so much got sold off. It was a really enjoyable if a bit rough RPG and by rough I mean very rigid/basic to the line RPG that isn't as fluid and redesigned into a smoother experience like a Final Fantasy game is. It's a great game just a bit stiff in the gameplay/menu department is all so I think it would greatly show its age now against another 90s title like a FF game or Lufia 2, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I like both, and picked up new copies some time ago. Cosmic Fantasy 2 was one of Working Designs' earliest big translations, and it holds up pretty well. It's a good RPG to have, maybe the best one we got over here on the Turbo. Exile is probably best compared to Zelda II. It's also on Genesis on a cart from Rennovation, but the Turbo version is less censored, still containing the hedonist town missing on the Genesis. It's fairly short, though, at maybe 4 or 5 hours long on a first playthrough. There's a pretty good write up on Hardcore Gaming 101 that has some nice screenshots and version comparisons. I'd say get both if you have the resources, as they are both some of the better games on the US Turbo CD, and how often do you get to pop 25 year old shrinkwrap at a reasonable price?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'm planning on leaving mine sealed for the time being. I'm pretty certain that the Turbo Cd is capable of playing buys - all those old systems were.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah this doesnt seem like a opportunity to pass up on. So I went ahead and purchased Cosmic Fantasy 2 actually. I will probably open it up and play it as opposed to just leaving it sitting on a shelf. As for the other game Exile it is around the same price. and I noticed the same sellers are selling both games as well as multiple copies of each. That one will have to wait because just because of cash but Im not sure if its that much better than the Sega Genesis version. and what about the sequel for that matter

EDIT: Also any forum posts or things on websits confirming the extra copies? Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0) HardcoreOtaku's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason Cosmic Fantasy 2 is common is apparently they pressed too many copies of the game, more than actual amount of TG-16 CD-Rom units sold.

Edit: Victor Ireland of Working Designs mentioned this when he was interviewed in a podcast a few years back.
    Last edited by HardcoreOtaku; 11-18-2014 at 03:53 PM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I got my sealed Cosmic 2 and Exile off someone on this site as well. Still have them sealed. I think they were like 15$ each

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Yes. Several sealed cases were in storage when Working Designs closed shop from what I've heard. Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Exile were both unearthed, and as such are way more available than they otherwise would be. The supply seems to be dwindling down, though, as they'd been around $40 for the longest time.
    Yup that's basically the truth of the matter. Game Quest Direct actually got their start selling a ton of the NOS copies.

Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a solid game but requires some heavy grinding starting out.

Oh, and you can play burns on Duos but it is not good for the lens to do so long term. Go to the PCEngineFX tech area if you are looking for more details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I'm planning on leaving mine sealed for the time being. I'm pretty certain that the Turbo Cd is capable of playing buys - all those old systems were.
    Yeah, they do. I'm not a sealed collector, but I like it when I get a good deal on one... and then I always end up agonizing as to whether I should open them or not when I'm ready to play. On one hand, it unnecessarily kills the value the seal brings, and sealed games look cool. If I want to play, I could burn the disc like you said, or I could sell it, buy a used copy, and make a profit. On the other, I enjoy tearing off the wrapper and leafing through all of the box's contents for nostalgia's sake. I guess you could equate it to a wine or scotch enthusiast opening an old bottle for a special occasion instead of a cheaper, close enough alternative. When I do open one, I generally do it to celebrate something or to add something to a time hanging out with someone. For example, a couple of years ago my brother was visiting, and we don't get the chance to hang out just the two of us anymore. So, we opened my sealed copy of Immercenary on 3DO. We looked up EA's addredd and sent in the 15 year old comment card as a laugh. We never heard back, but it was funny to think about some EA employee bewildered by why the hell that card was coming across their fingers, and made for a fun memory for us.