Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by drunk3nj3sus View Post
    Don't really see the logic in having only flash carts, if you're going that route might as well just get a modded newer console or emulation box + adapters to use the original controllers, you can get an ouya and a half dozen usb controller adapters for the price of one flash cart + basically every game you wanna play will run on it

Getting a flash cart to play hacks, homebrew, translations, & games you can't afford on the original hardware makes sense but it doesn't really replace a collection, in addition to that if you plan to buy the games that can't play on a flash cart most of the games that won't run on a flash cart are the most expensive ones

For NES players/collectors a flash cart is kind of a waste because theirs like maybe 5 games worth playing that'll cost you more than a flash cart & most games are a fraction of the price of a flash cart, for SNES I can see the logic because for whatever reason the prices of a lot of real common games are pretty ridiculous
    If you prefer original hardware like me, flash carts make total sense. Sometimes collectors have games in storage, can't get at them. I would disagree on the NES though, there are dozens of games that were not easily available carts that are worthwhile to play. Either too expensive/rare, Fami. only, prototypes, etc. The Atari/CV/INTV systems benefit hugely, lots of unreleased games to play. Same for TG-16, all those Japan-only HuCards. SMS too, you can play the games with 3D or FM sound (with mod) that are too expensive to buy. The only major cart system where the flash doesn't cover completely is of course special-chip centric SNES. I don't feel it's proper to criticize anyone's collecting habits or their decision on game playing and setup. To each his or her own.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Flash carts are a distinct class. Less of the oddities and inaccuracies of emulators, less having to support price gougers and bootleg makers.

Unless of course you get a dodgy flash cart. Supercard GBA slowdown, anyone?
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I don't feel it's proper to criticize anyone's collecting habits or their decision on game playing and setup. To each his or her own.
    You must have misinterpreted the intent of my post the only thing somewhat critical I said is that I don't think having just flash carts could replace a collection. People are free to collect/game how they please I just posted my thoughts because that was the point of the thread.

I would disagree on the NES though, there are dozens of games that were not easily available carts that are worthwhile to play. Either too expensive/rare, Fami. only, prototypes, etc.
    Obviously their are benefits but my point was just in relation to the cost of a flash cart. Their are a few good prototypes you can't play without a flash cart. But as far as good released NES/Famicom(via adapter) games their really aren't that many that'll cost you more than the $150 or so a flash cart costs. I can only think of 5 off the top of my head Little Samson, Flintstones 2, Gimmick, Bonk's Adventure(FC version's <150), & Panic Restaraunt(FC version's <150). A good bit of the expensive rare games on the system aren't really all that great.

I've considered getting a flash cart but I learned from emulators having the ability to play thousands of games makes me less likely to play through entire games and enjoy them I end up switching games often. If I get a cart I try my best to beat it or at least get somewhat good at it if it's ridiculously hard.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Nes PowerPak can play Famicom disk games that use a single disk. This alone makes it worthwhile.
    Not to mention all the Famicom games and rom hacks.
    150$ is not alot for a powerpak considering what it does and how easily you can cycle through throusands of roms. So easy to use a saves so much time & wear on the original hardware & software.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Unless of course you get a dodgy flash cart. Supercard GBA slowdown, anyone?
    Krikzz will soon remedy that.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk3nj3sus View Post
    Obviously their are benefits but my point was just in relation to the cost of a flash cart. Their are a few good prototypes you can't play without a flash cart. But as far as good released NES/Famicom(via adapter) games their really aren't that many that'll cost you more than the $150 or so a flash cart costs. I can only think of 5 off the top of my head Little Samson, Flintstones 2, Gimmick, Bonk's Adventure(FC version's <150), & Panic Restaraunt(FC version's <150). A good bit of the expensive rare games on the system aren't really all that great.

I've considered getting a flash cart but I learned from emulators having the ability to play thousands of games makes me less likely to play through entire games and enjoy them I end up switching games often. If I get a cart I try my best to beat it or at least get somewhat good at it if it's ridiculously hard.
    Like I said, there's no great reason not to just use an emulator on say an ouya or PC or tablet, whatever, other than if you just want to keep using the original hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Nes PowerPak can play Famicom disk games that use a single disk. This alone makes it worthwhile.
    Not to mention all the Famicom games and rom hacks.
    150$ is not alot for a powerpak considering what it does and how easily you can cycle through throusands of roms. So easy to use a saves so much time & wear on the original hardware & software.
    Is the PowerPak still being sold? Most are just buying the Everdrive N8 now. Save states can be huge as well, but emulators do them.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't get being critical over a flash kit unless you have problems controlling yourself in how you use it which I tend to do eventually. The cost argument is garbage though. Let's say all you cared about alone was just playing something like Little Samson ($600+) compared to an Everdrive ($100?~) or Aerofighters ($300-400) or the SD2SNES for $150~ and it becomes clear it gives a big fuck you to the scammers who have screwed up our hobby and turned it into a speculators wet dream of price abuse. Then factor in how it can run hacks, translations, prototypes, and other screwy things on top of regions other than your own and it really opens up a world while still using the original hardware which the games were intended for with the intended timings, accuracies, and the rest.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Is the PowerPak still being sold? Most are just buying the Everdrive N8 now. Save states can be huge as well, but emulators do them.
    It looks like its still for sale at retrousb.com for 135$.
    I dont doubt that in some ways the Everdrive is better than the Powerpak, but the Powerpak plays almost anything perfectly.
    Ive had mine for 3+ years now with no problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So you're saying the everdrive won't run all that the powerpak will? I'd find that interesting if it were true being that it's supported and newer unlike the other that was dropped long ago other than just cycling through whatever is still slowly made or left over as it gets (pp) no firmware/mapper updates officially.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    So you're saying the everdrive won't run all that the powerpak will? I'd find that interesting if it were true being that it's supported and newer unlike the other that was dropped long ago other than just cycling through whatever is still slowly made or left over as it gets (pp) no firmware/mapper updates officially.
    The mappers are not as developed for the Everdrive N8 as they are the PowerPak. The PP has been around far longer though, and most of the more difficult mapper programming was done by a 3rd party.

PS: Keep an eye on Krikzz.com this Friday, he usually has Black Friday sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well krizz one thing I think I'd be in for would be a GBA kit. I use a Retron5 these days and they don't like everdrive type stuff.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS: Keep an eye on Krikzz.com this Friday, he usually has Black Friday sales.
    Thanks, I was about to order mine tomorrow! Worth a chance.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75