Thread: Buyers Remorse

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Honestly I'm glad I bought the Wii U first and not the others yet because I don't know if I like that whole hard drive installation process of the PS4 and Xbox One. I heard that Xbox One supports external hard drives for installing games to which is great (but expensive), but PS4 does not yet support that making it a real hassle if you like to actually collect games. A reviewer mentioned what a danger that is if a broken game needs a patch and you uninstall a game from your drive, then said game's servers go down and you can no longer download the patch. Wii U at least doesn't have that problem as you can just pop in a disc and play. Something tells me I'll be best off sticking with the Wii U for another year or two into this generation and focusing my collecting on retro games. At least maybe until the 360 and PS3 are killed. I'm still grabbing good cheap PS3, 360, and to a lesser extent Wii games while the stores still carry them too. I obtained plenty of the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast generation at one point but I was dumb and sold all but the Gamecube and my few favorite Dreamcast games and now it might not be as easy to get those PS2 and Xbox games back locally for good deals in as nice of condition. At least what I chose not to sell (Gamecube) were the ones that retained/raised their value the most. My main reason for choosing to keep those above the others was that those couldn't be copied and played from burned discs as easily and reliably as the others. And hey maybe that's why they're more valuable and why more people kept theirs as well vs. PS2 which is still relatively cheap to collect for strictly online until you get to some really unusual games or well known gems that weren't re-released as Greatest Hits.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I feel you're right in that position you took. I also agree that one thing Nintendo has going for it with their stubborn disuse of other than smaller blocks of chip based storage memory -- no patching, and if there are they're teeny ones Nintendo hosts but it's less than critical stuff mostly that isn't outright game breaking usually. I don't like having to drop a game in to have it install, and then go through patches, it sucks, and if the hardware eats it down the line the patches are shot and if not online anymore you got problems. I think that's a good reason why when I upgraded I sold off all but 5 PS3 games and moved the system to the main tv for movie watching. Honestly the only reason this early on I have the PS4 was I got a killer deal online, sweetened by a $50 gift card I had, and then it had some games in the box I had no use for (3) which I sold and it got it down to $200. In time when it expires in another 5 years or something I imagine again the games will mostly be sold off and it moved to another tv in the house for movies as they make nice players (though I find it annoying Sony won't release a PS4 blu ray remote.)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Honestly I'm glad I bought the Wii U first and not the others yet because I don't know if I like that whole hard drive installation process of the PS4 and Xbox One. I heard that Xbox One supports external hard drives for installing games to which is great (but expensive), but PS4 does not yet support that making it a real hassle if you like to actually collect games. A reviewer mentioned what a danger that is if a broken game needs a patch and you uninstall a game from your drive, then said game's servers go down and you can no longer download the patch. Wii U at least doesn't have that problem as you can just pop in a disc and play. Something tells me I'll be best off sticking with the Wii U for another year or two into this generation and focusing my collecting on retro games. At least maybe until the 360 and PS3 are killed. I'm still grabbing good cheap PS3, 360, and to a lesser extent Wii games while the stores still carry them too. I obtained plenty of the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast generation at one point but I was dumb and sold all but the Gamecube and my few favorite Dreamcast games and now it might not be as easy to get those PS2 and Xbox games back locally for good deals in as nice of condition. At least what I chose not to sell (Gamecube) were the ones that retained/raised their value the most. My main reason for choosing to keep those above the others was that those couldn't be copied and played from burned discs as easily and reliably as the others. And hey maybe that's why they're more valuable and why more people kept theirs as well vs. PS2 which is still relatively cheap to collect for strictly online until you get to some really unusual games or well known gems that weren't re-released as Greatest Hits.

You definitely can install a hard drive in a PS4

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    You definitely can install a hard drive in a PS4
    Yeah except it has to be an internal drive, and what happens when that gets full? You have to keep opening the system up every time to switch games?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Yeah except it has to be an internal drive, and what happens when that gets full? You have to keep opening the system up every time to switch games?
    How many games are you planning on installing..? 1 Tb is pretty damn big, and you could go bigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What about existing data? I guess you use a USB thumb drive and just pop n' drop it to the new one?