Thread: Super Smash Bros Error Message/Bricked systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Smash Bros Error Message/Bricked systems

For anyone who has been playing this apparently on start up it wont play the game and if reformatting the system not only will you lose your saved data but your system has a good chance of bricking. WTF Nintendo? Friends are coming over the weekend to play this. I havent touched the game since last week so I'm lucky this didnt happen to me. Whats the deal with all these bugs and broken games nowadays? I figured there would be some sort of testing and control to prevent this. Never would of expected something like this from Nintendo.I thought Ubisoft had the market in this nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's a variation on an existing problem going back to day one, the problem is that Smash is so damn huge in sales that more people are having this issue crop up at one time so there's a lot more complaining. A variant of it, the common one, is that some utility of the system gets corrupted (bad flash chip or whatever in there) and it gets that error message smash is showing too.

It happened to my system with the 5.2 update when it was flashing the whole chip with the upgrade. My system menu wrench was broken, they out of warranty accepted fault and repaired it. They at United Radio halfassed it though, my data was retrievable and usable and they didn't bother to copy over my info from the 9 games I had at the time so I quit using the system which is now up for sale (pending with a member here) along with the games.

After what this system has done breaking down like that on top of Nintendo blatantly giving the industry the finger when it offered them third party support, and in an entire year just 1 game I'd 100% buy on there (starfox) in 2015 I'm done trusting or buying Nintendo consoles going forward until the thing is on the market for at least a year and is proven to be properly supported. If I can deem ahead of that time they are due to my brother the game producer, my attitude could change to a point. I trust their handhelds entirely, they get full good support, but whoever makes and runs their console side needs their head removed from their body as it's already empty of anything on the inside of that huge head of theirs.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I miss when consoles didn't have flashable firmware. You just turned them on and they played the game. No problems unless the hardware was defective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is there a way to help avoid this?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Some clarification:

Quote Originally Posted by VG 24/7
    Super Smash Bros. Wii U players have been reporting an error code that they believe indicates the game is responsible for bricking consoles, but it looks like that’s not the case.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U has been widely reported as responsible for error code 160-0103.

The error seems to relate to system memory and possibly game update data, so some players have tried formatting their consoles or otherwise interfering with system memory management. Unfortunately, in some cases this has made Super Smash Bros. Wii U unplayable altogether – or even bricked the console.

Understandably, players so affected are pretty upset and calling out the fighter for its sins.

It looks like it’s not Smash at fault, though. As one investigative Reddit user pointed out, if you search for the code you’ll see Wii U owners have been reporting it – and similar consequences – pretty much since the console launched. It’s been observed after playing a wide variety of games, and may be related to hardware error.

If you experience the error code, your best bet is to contact Nintendo support. They’ll be able to talk you through the best troubleshooting steps, and if necessary, pursue hardware repair options. Since there seems to be some risk of leaving your console unresponsive, it’s probably best not to go following suggestions offered by third parties at this stage.
    Source: http://www.vg247.com/2014/12/02/supe...-your-console/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    They at United Radio halfassed it though, my data was retrievable and usable and they didn't bother to copy over my info from the 9 games I had at the time so I quit using the system which is now up for sale (pending with a member here) along with the games.
    Holy carp, I was just expressing how poor I was when I offered you $25 for the Wii U. I thought you weren't going to take that offer! Well then, offer accepted - where do I send the $25?

(By the way, the holy carp is obviously Magikarp.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Haha sorry, someone else offered a few dollars more in a package deal with 1 game and added accessories I have with it.

I just need to get the payment taken care of and an address and I could be out the door.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Magic is the devils work so magickarp is more like Satan carp