Thread: Nintendo Reveals Mario Maker

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Reveals Mario Maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K141wa8-PFA

Nintendo revealed a fuller, better trailer for Mario Maker. Personally, as a huge fan of the Mario Series, this excites me. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ZP3; 12-08-2014 at 04:34 PM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Oh shit, now I gotta buy a WiiU...
    That looks awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A cool little toy to make some fun Mario stages for yourself and others in the vein of LittleBigPlanet stage making, but it's no system seller. If you're not truly into just working with one game for months or years to really get creative with it I think the app would run thin pretty quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    but it's no system seller.
    Disagree with that, this is one of the coolest pieces of nintendo software Ive seen in a long long time.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I'll pick it up once it comes out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm looking forward to it.

I just hope that it's as fully featured as it appears to be, that people will be able to string together a full set of levels for an entire game, that we'll be allowed to upload and download our creations (If it were anyone else, this would be all but assured, but Nintendo's online integration is still lacking at times), and that Nintendo will have a full fledged Mario platformer here of their own creation.

I can't wait to see people recreate Vs. Super Mario Bros. or being able to play a recreation of the original Super Mario Bros. in different graphical styles (We've seen SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMB skins so far).

I'm sure that later releases won't be able to really be reproduced here (Super Mario Land's vehicles for instance or anything beyond more basic levels from the NSMB franchise). But from what we've seen so far, near 1:1 recreations of the levels from the original pair of SMB releases should be achievable.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-06-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

With the initial announcement of Mario Maker, it seemed like it was a Mario 1 Maker. It included the graphical update to switch between NES and New Super Mario Bros graphics, but it was entirely based on Super Mario Bros gameplay. With this new trailer it looks like you can now use not only the graphics, but features from Super Mario Bros 3, World, and U, it makes it worth the purchase for anyone interested in creating or playing created levels. If it's released for $30 or less, it's worth it, not worth it for more than that. Doesn't have anything on the LBP games though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Disagree with that, this is one of the coolest pieces of nintendo software Ive seen in a long long time.
    This is not a system seller. I would not pay for the entire Wii U system for this one game. Most people would say Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Zelda are system sellers. The game will do fine but I don't see that many people buying the system just for this game.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless of whether or not this is a system seller, people can no longer claim that Nintendo is afraid to change up their Mario formula.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    Regardless of whether or not this is a system seller, people can no longer claim that Nintendo is afraid to change up their Mario formula.
    Yea, they are willing to do some cool stuff. I just don't see people beating down the door for this game. It is a good game for those of us that have a Wii U systems already.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want a 3DS version with Street Pass level swapping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    This is not a system seller. I would not pay for the entire Wii U system for this one game. Most people would say Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Zelda are system sellers. The game will do fine but I don't see that many people buying the system just for this game.
    I would buy a WiiU for this game. Mario Kart, Smash, and Zelda games do not interest me.
    Mario Maker looks awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mario Kart is beyond its prime, Smash is stale unless you're hardcore into it or the 3DS will do, and Zelda jumped the shark into being a wannabe Skyrim-lite being massive and open world. I could see how all three of those could easily never sell another system or just sell to those hardcore to the nose on those three franchises but it will be a hit and miss thing with no happy middleground. Mario Maker though is really just LittleBigPlanet stage/world creator with Mario tiles roughly speaking, and LBP while excellent isn't a system seller and this stage designer won't be either but it will help reinforce the interest of those with this dying system giving them a crap load of hours of something to do with it making or playing others stages which is wise with the ever vanishing future release list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Mario Maker looks to be a million times better than LittleBigPlanet.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario Kart is beyond its prime, Smash is stale unless you're hardcore into it or the 3DS will do, and Zelda jumped the shark into being a wannabe Skyrim-lite being massive and open world. I could see how all three of those could easily never sell another system or just sell to those hardcore to the nose on those three franchises but it will be a hit and miss thing with no happy middleground. Mario Maker though is really just LittleBigPlanet stage/world creator with Mario tiles roughly speaking, and LBP while excellent isn't a system seller and this stage designer won't be either but it will help reinforce the interest of those with this dying system giving them a crap load of hours of something to do with it making or playing others stages which is wise with the ever vanishing future release list.

No offense, but you seem to have a massive issue with the Wii U. Both Kart and Smash got amazing reviews and have sold very well, so I'm not so sure why you are so negative towards those two franchises.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    No offense, but you seem to have a massive issue with the Wii U. Both Kart and Smash got amazing reviews and have sold very well, so I'm not so sure why you are so negative towards those two franchises.
    Mario Kart I cannot agree with. The AI is garbage in it. The AI seems to only target the player and not the other racers that are in front of them. It rubberbands so much it is frustrating. I take reviews with a grain of salt these days as well. Of course the games sold well, what else am I supposed to buy for my Wii U?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not offended, I guess fairness would say I explain at least a little?

Wii U -- I bought this the day it came out. Stories abound and even behind at the industry level led me to believe this would be the apology, the correction for the Wii. A system with third party support in good number, at least until the PS3/360 ate it, and one that would have been marketed well. The system has a mix of many redone older game and new at launch, even the second wave of things nearly a year later were also solid ventures. The hammer dropped though as EA to start and others rolling off that bailed entirely and projects left and right canned or just never released period for it about after the time of NFS Wii U and COD Ghosts including former exclusive projects going everywhere else in finer form. I then find out from my game producer brother the story I've said before, the industry gave Nintendo (with Sony/MS) the specs they wanted in hardware, if it wasn't met, they'd not be supportive of the system, and Nintendo gave them the finger so they flipped it back. Had I known this 2 years ago I'd have stalled buying it see if I'd get my value out of it and probably never purchased the system at all. I feel I was taken by the system and outside of Nintendo given nothing to show for it and after the Wii it was the final nail in the coffin for me buying their systems again when they come out, if not for good depending how they handle them.

Mario Kart and Smash -- I outgrew them and got fed up with both in how they've taken them online and made that the emphasis making the one player games almost a tack-on sacrifice to justify the package (much like FPS games like Call of Duty--compare pre-Modern Warfare to games since.) Mario Kart has turned into Mario Party on wheels removing the racing skill for pure luck of the draw items to just crush people and not just the spiky shell, and the 1P game he become just boring with more uninspiring tracks and karts than good ones and ugh those bikes on Wii. As the post above said too, the AI cheats and beats only on the human player, even if they're not in first which is garbage. Smash basically stopped evolving with the Gamecube and went online, well flawed, exploited, network issues, and hacked on Wii (like the DS/Wii MK too.) The 1P game gets stale super fast and while the local play is fine in person I have no one to play that with, and the online I"m not going to be a career smash player to get into it on WiiU/3DS so the 1P package is the fall back -- 3DS makes a better case than the WiiU release.

That's it.

Also in all fairness so what if they sold millions? Just because a game reviews well doesn't mean it is good. It means it has fans in the reviewers, potential for payoff reviews as those are common. And really, if you think about it, just because something sells millions doesn't mean it isn't crap. Go look at the sales of various touted amazing games before they hit selling in the millions and turning out to be turds (RE Racoon City, those Matrix games, etc.) You can easily wrap a turd in a shiny package, hype the shit out of it, sell it in the first few weeks until people catch on and make bank. Also one must account with the low sales numbers of WiiU hardware coupled with the gross lack of games worth buying (or at all on there) that huge sales could be accounted in part to consumer desperation and thirst for something new to do with their hardware purchase.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 12-07-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks boring, not interested

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mario Kart is beyond its prime
    Hardly

Smash is stale unless you're hardcore into it or the 3DS will do
    I wouldn't know

Zelda jumped the shark into being a wannabe Skyrim-lite being massive and open world.
    Pure speculation

Mario Maker though is really just LittleBigPlanet stage/world creator with Mario tiles roughly speaking
    So what?

it will help reinforce the interest of those with this dying system giving them a crap load of hours of something to do with it making or playing others stages which is wise with the ever vanishing future release list.
    For someone that finds so little here of interest, you sure like to run on and on with the same statements at every opportunity.

Give us a break since at this point, anyone that visits here even occasionally knows your views about how Nintendo stole your money and then proceeded to disappoint you in every way possible. You've been going around at every opening giving us the benefit of your insight on why what we find appealing, really isn't and that we're just being duped.

We get it...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd be surprised if MK8 weren't the last "traditional" Mario Kart. They clearly just want to go full Nintendo Karts. Which is probably for the best.