Thread: Nintendo is discontinuing some Amiibo figures

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo is discontinuing some Amiibo figures

Nintendo really loves the reseller market. I was going to pick these up after Christmas but I am not going to bother at all now.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/amiibo-discontinued/

Edit: It seems there are conflicting reports about this. Still very hard to find and going for a ton on Ebay.
    Last edited by kai123; 12-09-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

meh. I think I have marth at work. any one want to buy a few for a few k?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm glad I really don't care about those things other than a cheap possible desk toy because it's just another thing to get mad about with predators ruining things for honest people who want the items and not just to flip for cash out of someone elses desperation they contributed to.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I'm at work now marth has an in hand of 4 which equals 1 case. If I find them I'll flip 3 for the shelf price.

Wii fit trainer is non replenishable so it's gone.

We never got samus in, the warehouse mislabeled a lot of boxes and that may be where marth is at. Marth box with Kirby or some one else in the box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I told everyone I could to pre order what they wanted because of this.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, this sort of thing is pretty common in toy lines. Some figures you can't find unless you happen to be there the minute they first hit the shelf (if the store even happens to get a shipment including the figure in the first place) others you can't get rid of no matter what you do and will be clogging up shelves until the heat death of the universe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Amiibo thread at you know where is getting pretty gross.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I wanted to get a villager for my wife. No go. Oh well.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't have had a problem with this if we would have known from the start that they were going to do this. At least keep the supply up during the holidays. Has Disney done anything like this with the Infinity line?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think they did with some of them that are see through but it was kind of a known those were limited. To just put something out and knowingly in advance to do one shipment and not tell the public I think is entirely a Nintendo trick on this one.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I wouldn't have had a problem with this if we would have known from the start that they were going to do this. At least keep the supply up during the holidays. Has Disney done anything like this with the Infinity line?
    People are saying that the Violet (from The Incredibles) has gotten hard to find lately but other than that I cannot think of any that qualify as truly rare. There are crystal versions of certain characters and all of them except for Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey were Toys "R" Us exclusives but every TRU I've been in around here has had copious amounts of them. I imagine the reason why Violet and a few others might be harder to find is they want to focus on the figures for the new 2.0 game and need to free up shelf space. That considered, it took a good year of being on shelves before Violet (and possibly others) started to become scarce.

Case in point with the Amiibo figures...they arrived in stores on Nov. 21st of this year and it hasn't even been a full month since their release yet we're already hearing about inability to re-order replenishment stock/discontinuations.That's some seriously stupid nonsense on the part of Nintendo or whoever is responsible for that debacle. IMO vague tweets and CSR assurance responses aren't enough, they need to get behind this completely and issue a full on press release explaining in plain English that no figures from the line have been discontinued and that replenishment of them is forthcoming. They'd be utterly stupid to just leave money on the table like this when there is a CLEAR demand for the product. I'm half surprised GameStop or someone didn't try to step in to help pay for the 2nd run of figures in exchange for some kind of exclusive arrangement or something.

I'm hoping they do good on putting more out but I'm not holding my breath. Having seen this unfold, I figure it's best to reserve the figures to guarantee them but at the same time all this debacle has done has raised the awareness of the flippers and profiteers to snap up the lesser knowns from Wave 2 like Capt. Falcon and Pit.

At some point I was going to get the whole line of Amiibo figures like I did with the first run of Infinity (and working on the 2.0 set as well). I hadn't planned on making their purchases a top priority but I can see from this nonsense I may not have much choice if I want them for MSRP.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    People are saying that the Violet (from The Incredibles) has gotten hard to find lately but other than that I cannot think of any that qualify as truly rare. There are crystal versions of certain characters and all of them except for Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey were Toys "R" Us exclusives but every TRU I've been in around here has had copious amounts of them. I imagine the reason why Violet and a few others might be harder to find is they want to focus on the figures for the new 2.0 game and need to free up shelf space. That considered, it took a good year of being on shelves before Violet (and possibly others) started to become scarce.

Case in point with the Amiibo figures...they arrived in stores on Nov. 21st of this year and it hasn't even been a full month since their release yet we're already hearing about inability to re-order replenishment stock/discontinuations.That's some seriously stupid nonsense on the part of Nintendo or whoever is responsible for that debacle. IMO vague tweets and CSR assurance responses aren't enough, they need to get behind this completely and issue a full on press release explaining in plain English that no figures from the line have been discontinued and that replenishment of them is forthcoming. They'd be utterly stupid to just leave money on the table like this when there is a CLEAR demand for the product. I'm half surprised GameStop or someone didn't try to step in to help pay for the 2nd run of figures in exchange for some kind of exclusive arrangement or something.

I'm hoping they do good on putting more out but I'm not holding my breath. Having seen this unfold, I figure it's best to reserve the figures to guarantee them but at the same time all this debacle has done has raised the awareness of the flippers and profiteers to snap up the lesser knowns from Wave 2 like Capt. Falcon and Pit.

At some point I was going to get the whole line of Amiibo figures like I did with the first run of Infinity (and working on the 2.0 set as well). I hadn't planned on making their purchases a top priority but I can see from this nonsense I may not have much choice if I want them for MSRP.
    I was going to collect these as well but it's not worth it if they discontinue them this quickly.

I collected all of the 1st and 2nd sets of Skylanders and while the 1st run was fun, the 2nd run sucked balls to complete. I had to buy bash for $50 and some of the more difficult to find figures for around $30. If you like collecting sets, it stops being fun if it's impossible to find the figures.

I was really slow on that so that was my fault. I recently collected all of the marvel legends Guardians of the Galaxy figures and while I was able to almost all of them for MSRP, I had to pay double for Rocket Raccoon because no store ever had him in stock for months. And I started grabbing them within 3 months after they first came out. It's really dumb, and it's really annoying when crap like this happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Amiibo's they print money for nintendo beside resellers taking advantage of it

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've barely seen any Wave 2 figures in stores as it's getting beyond ridiculous with all of the scammers and resellers out in full force snatching everything up. A quick look at Amazon and eBay show some figures commanding 5-6x their original MSRP which is stupid (even more stupid is the people who cave and pay these prices).

What I CANNOT understand is Nintendo's apparent disinterest in replenishing stock that is CLEARLY in demand. Retailers wanted to order more and they're like "Nope...we only gonna make this many and that's it!" Who just leaves money on the table like that? Retailers obviously want this product to stock and customers obviously want this product to own but for whatever the hell reason Nintendo is acting completely hands off about it. If I was a significant investor of theirs I would be FUMING mad at them not doing everything they possibly could to replenish stock. Given that there's such a frenzy for them, you'd think they could dictate terms to retailers and say there's a no buyback of unsold stock of Amiibo figures.

I just saw something where Miyamoto was suggesting the use of cards or something and I thought "Why cards? If you're going to manufacture anything then just manufacture more figures stupid!"

What's amazing to me is Disney and Activision have characters that are specific to their certain games and yet EVERY store that carries them has ample stock of all figures all the time. Nintendo has a small handful of games that utilize the figures and a HUGE potential to blow the doors open with this tech and yet they prefer to sit on their hands and worry about nonsensical things like shelf space. What's funny is if they actually utilized these figures to their full potential, they could easily justify the extra shelf space for obscure characters and cause retailers to devote LESS space to the Infinity and Skylander lines. Isn't that the whole point of competing brands? Build a better and more desirable product than your competition?

I'm starting to develop a disdain for Nintendo because of this and I am hoping that once the holiday season is over they pull their heads out of their collective arses and remedy this.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I've barely seen any Wave 2 figures in stores as it's getting beyond ridiculous with all of the scammers and resellers out in full force snatching everything up. A quick look at Amazon and eBay show some figures commanding 5-6x their original MSRP which is stupid (even more stupid is the people who cave and pay these prices).

What I CANNOT understand is Nintendo's apparent disinterest in replenishing stock that is CLEARLY in demand. Retailers wanted to order more and they're like "Nope...we only gonna make this many and that's it!" Who just leaves money on the table like that? Retailers obviously want this product to stock and customers obviously want this product to own but for whatever the hell reason Nintendo is acting completely hands off about it. If I was a significant investor of theirs I would be FUMING mad at them not doing everything they possibly could to replenish stock. Given that there's such a frenzy for them, you'd think they could dictate terms to retailers and say there's a no buyback of unsold stock of Amiibo figures.

I just saw something where Miyamoto was suggesting the use of cards or something and I thought "Why cards? If you're going to manufacture anything then just manufacture more figures stupid!"

What's amazing to me is Disney and Activision have characters that are specific to their certain games and yet EVERY store that carries them has ample stock of all figures all the time. Nintendo has a small handful of games that utilize the figures and a HUGE potential to blow the doors open with this tech and yet they prefer to sit on their hands and worry about nonsensical things like shelf space. What's funny is if they actually utilized these figures to their full potential, they could easily justify the extra shelf space for obscure characters and cause retailers to devote LESS space to the Infinity and Skylander lines. Isn't that the whole point of competing brands? Build a better and more desirable product than your competition?

I'm starting to develop a disdain for Nintendo because of this and I am hoping that once the holiday season is over they pull their heads out of their collective arses and remedy this.
    Nintendo has always been a very conservative company. They never take large risks with ordering stock until something has been proven a seller. It's why the Wii was out of stock consistently for the first couple of years and it's why when retailers ordered the Villager, Marth and Wii Fit Trainer in lower quantities, they produced far fewer of those figures. Also, it's not possible to order figures being produced in China like the Amiibos in a matter of weeks. Production lines are scheduled months in advance and figures get shipped by sea along a route that takes a minimum of a month when you add port delays. While Nintendo could have handled this better, it's not just a matter of printing more and selling them. Ask Toys R Us how they feel about their exclusive crystal line of Infinity figures that sold poorly and which their stores are packed with. Even cheap items in large quantities can result in financial damage if not managed properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well throw me into one of the idiots who will pay more than MSRP. I did that with Diddy. I preordered a bunch on Amazon. I didn't with Falcon though and he's now sold out. Totally regret it. I'm tired of going early and searching.