Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Did the Final Fantasy Series "Jump the Shark"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, I know I never used him in general situations. Perhaps other people chose to do the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's a unique take. I often find those who started with Nintendo are hit and miss on 7, more than not hate 8 and 9 is a thank you/apology for the last 2 going off the rails and restoring the 4-6 type games in 3D. FF9 was always the apology to me and I've played it like 3x over the years and it never bothered me like the others.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think the obvious and most important message here is that while we all have our opinions on when it happened, almost everyone agrees that it did happen, and that's the really damning thing. Final Fantasy is a series that people will defend their favorites to the end, and lament the entries they hate vocally. However, very few people are happy about where things are headed. I don't see a large contingent of even passive apologists. Square should recognize this as a crossroads; do they want to try and bring the passionate fanbase back into the fold, or do they want to go after an all-new audience?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will XV be a return to form? Probably lot but it'll sell like hotcakes anyway!
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

15 definitely isn't a return. Hearing about and watching the gameplay it looks pretty crappy. The graphics look amazing, that's about it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Celery they're all about new gamers, that's been obvious for a long time. No offense to the PS1 kids of the era, but they did it to you too and that's really when it started. Before hand they weren't so much about mass market, they had a general formula they more or less stuck to. With FF7 and games after they went mass market, mass media, Sony pumped the shit out of that one so it would sell like digital crack and it did. That game they were appealing not to FF fans as much as the 'NAME' and to what gamers of that period were all hot for -- movies, huge effects, 3D, the steam punkish kind of look 7 and 8 had ...9 was a total anomaly. Then with the PS2 those games again played this time to the 'emotion engine' bringing a better level of reality, life, detail to things while still going for the new modern flash and flair. PS3 -- FF13 and friends again is the same damn thing. Back with Nintendo they kind of played to the system strengths with the series sure, but not so blatantly to delay games for long periods to move a crap ton of copies of the game on the level they did with Sony. Sure I was picking on FF7 but in the larger scope using celery's post there, that's really when it jumped off from sticking to what was into what is hot, trendy and popular in effects, style and visual for a modern game at whatever expense (crystal engine, mass delays.) FF15 will do this looking at it, it definitely looks it from seeing that at FF13, and even the combat is seamless from moving around the map as they said, and if you can see it you can pretty much go there too, FF13 while long draw and pretty you saw far more than where you could go.

They won't change what they're doing, it hurts them, but it helps them if they can stand the losses until the release of the series hits. Then they can milk that engine for a generation with spinoffs, sequels, or even other projects.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I agree that they're about new gamers, but with their financial issues people keep talking about it seems like it should be decision time. Whatever is most profitable, I get it, but what they're doing doesn't seem to be working for anyone like they really want. New consumers probably are the future, honestly... but they have to at least do a better job appealing to them. As much aa I prefer my old style, I kind of doubt us old hats would financially support it well. We were the ones barely buying 40,000 copy print runs, and Final Fantasy selling less than 2 million anymore is a bust in the west.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yup. You see what I found myself doing the last generation was kind of reconciling the fact that Final Fantasy itself, the traditional game is long dead with 9 being the exception. I decided to look at them not as games that really are Final Fantasy and instead a brand to just sell a story where they'll do whatever they damn well please good or bad. I came to that with FF10, and I jokingly called it Phinal Phantasystar X (ex, not 10.) It reminded me with the outside, inside caves, and tech junk that was splattered all over PSO on the Dreamcast more than any FF title. If I had looked at 10 like an actual FF game I would have been disappointed, probably pissed off. From that game forward I just bough the games if I liked how they looked and if the story would perhaps keep me busy, but if it looked weak in combat/leveling design or story I ignored it. The MMO that hit with 11 and then again with 14 cemented that with me my feelings on how to look at it...a name in use, not really a FF game, just shared certain bits. I really did like FF13 a lot, never had the time with an infant/toddler to finish it or even play the other two (which I will on Steam-PC when I can, easier on a laptop.) That game is no FF title other than some shared item/spell names and little else, same can be said of Type0 or FF15 for what we know of it.

The amusing flip side, and I know I'm not alone as I've seen it a LOT, especially with old Nintendo fans/owners of the 80s/earlier 90s -- Bravely Default was a renamed Final Fantasy game. It plays, looks and has so much style that mixes FF4-6 and 9, you have to wonder why the hell they just didn't give it the FF name. I see that game (series in Japan so far) as where FF went to.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I guess if you want an RPG that is like a traditional FF, there is Bravely Second to look forward to playing; and if you want an RPG that is like an action game such as Final Fantasy Type-0, there is Final Fantasy Explorers to look forward to playing.

Personally, I am excited for Final Fantasy Explorers because it combines my preferred type of gaming (action) with Final Fantasy traditions (character classes à la FF5, traditional character appearances à la early FF's and FFT [meaning none of that "buckles, belts, and black colors" crap which that bastard Tetsuya Nomura pushes], on-screen HP damage counters, summons, et cetera)... and it is on a Nintendo platform, the 3DS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I was excited about Final Fantasy Explorers at first because it's pretty much Final Phantasy Online(get it?) but after watching gameplay of I'm no longer interested as the game is clearly another cash grab. Just look up gameplay videos of the game. People wouldn't give this game a second glance except it's called Final Fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...6i4jofFg#t=449

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ITY...tailpage#t=167
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-16-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Final Fantasy Explorers, Xenoblade, and if it comes Bravely Second are on my 2015 3DS/New3DS watch list. Xeno I never got on Wii due to my being turned off by the hardware and having a kid around as I knew I'd never put a dent into it, but on a portable I could.

NZ17 seems to think alike to how I am thinking of FF Explorers. It's RPG FF feel but more action and Type0 I definitely want on PS4 and I actually really loved FF13 which was pretty ramped up with the action too.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Whenever this happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Whenever this happened.

please tell me there is a dragoon in whatever remake this is (or is it the guy standing forward there?)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Well Gameguy, you get points for being literal.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    please tell me there is a dragoon in whatever remake this is (or is it the guy standing forward there?)
    He is a dragoon, and I believe this is the PSP/Wii remake of FFIV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That looks like Final Fantasy 1 on Android/IOS to me. Warrior, Ninja, Monk, and Red Mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yeah, that's Final Fantasy on Android/PSP. The games look good except for the character sprites.
    Final Fantasy 2 on PSP

Final Fantasy 4 on PSP

Final Fantasy 5 on Android

Final Fantasy 6 on Android

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ehrgeiz is one of the greatest fighters ever made.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my opinion it was around X. I personally enjoyed all of the PS1 releases. X just seemed meh... wasn't a fan of the sphere grid system.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There were no sharks to be jumped. They just got progressively worse until their swan song (FF9). SNES was the peak of the series, with FF2 the worst of the early games.