Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBox's quintessential RPG?

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XBox's quintessential RPG?

Now I generally like the original Xbox, though not always for the same reasons as everyone else, but there are certainly some good games on it. Most people saw it as an FPS/dudebro console, but in terms of RPGs, which rank as the best? The most frequently touted are:

-Arx Fatalis
    -Beyond Good and Evil
    -The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    -Fable
    -Jade Empire
    -Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
    -Sudeki

From what I've played, Sudeki is the worst of the bunch. Fable is decent if taken as just a fairly linear, western action-RPG take on Zelda rather than the massively 'free, open-ended' quest it was falsely advertised as. Beyond Good and Evil certainly beats it in every regard, though. It has the same length and action-RPG feel but is infinitely better in every aspect. Morrowind didn't look like my cup of tea but people were generally very fond of it. I only played a little of SW:KotOR but it had promise and I'm looking to get a copy in hopes that it will fill the void for a solid WRPG on the system that actually lives up to the praise. Never played JE. Can't say anything about Arx Fatalis either but it also cited as an underdog. I won't even mention X-Men Legends. That thing was totally a product of its time, a revamped Baldr's Gate: Dark Alliance and sold because of the hype and license backing it. There are probably others that I haven't mentioned, so let me know what I'm forgotting.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    Now I generally like the original Xbox, though not always for the same reasons as everyone else, but there are certainly some good games on it. Most people saw it as an FPS/dudebro console, but in terms of RPGs, which rank as the best? The most frequently touted are:

-Arx Fatalis
    -Beyond Good and Evil
    -The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    -Fable
    -Jade Empire
    -Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
    -Sudeki

From what I've played, Sudeki is the worst of the bunch. Fable is decent if taken as just a fairly linear, western action-RPG take on Zelda rather than the massively 'free, open-ended' quest it was falsely advertised as. Beyond Good and Evil certainly beats it in every regard, though. It has the same length and action-RPG feel but is infinitely better in every aspect. Morrowind didn't look like my cup of tea but people were generally very fond of it. I only played a little of SW:KotOR but it had promise and I'm looking to get a copy in hopes that it will fill the void for a solid WRPG on the system that actually lives up to the praise. Never played JE. Can't say anything about Arx Fatalis either but it also cited as an underdog. I won't even mention X-Men Legends. That thing was totally a product of its time, a revamped Baldr's Gate: Dark Alliance and sold because of the hype and license backing it. There are probably others that I haven't mentioned, so let me know what I'm forgotting.
    I wouldn't really consider BG&E as RPG, nor Fable. There might be RPG elements, but they're more adventureish games than RPGish.

Jade Empire, I tried a demo, didn't care for it at all, despite it being from Bioware, who generally make good RPG's. Or rather used to before EA bought them, but this is from well before that. I can't recall what exactly I didn't like about the demo, as this is like a decade ago.

KOTOR games, defintely the best games I played on the Xbox period, not just the best RPG's. However if you have a decent gaming PC it may be worth your while to look into those ports instead, and install some mods/upgrades. Lots of people bitch about content cut from the 2nd game and supposedly a fan patch on PC helps at least partly make up for it, but honestly I enjoyed the game just fine as it was.

Morrowind, lots of people think it's the best RPG ever, but I am not one of these people. I've tried to get into it a few times but just haven't been able to. I also have some similar issues with it's successors, Oblivion and Skyrim, but not nearly to the same degree. I'm sure it's me, not them. Fallout 3 & NV are practically the same thing in a different setting, and I love those to death. I will say, if you intend to pick this up on Xbox, look for the GOTY edition.

The rest you list I haven't played.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I'm a total xbox outsider, never owned one while current, never finished a game on the system, but played some here and there and enjoyed some Halo parties a few times. By no means a hater.

So I'm either the best person or the worst person to comment here, not sure. From my perspective, though, I think you'd have to go with Fable. It isn't a true RPG, maybe, but isn't that kinda apropos for the system? We are looking for quintessential, not necessarily 'best'.

The better games you list (BG&E, KOTOR) were better on PC than on Xbox. Heck, wasn't BG&E better on Gamecube?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I would just say Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. But that's available on PS2 as well so it doesn't really count.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You have to g o through such a hassle just to play the game offline, so it's better on other consoles you can find it on, but Phantasy Star Online imo.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I liked Sudeki, but yeah... it was kind of a guilty pleasure.
    Morrowind was an amazing experience for the time, but I've tried many times to go back and it's just painful to play now.
    I think the KOTOR games aged well, so going to nominate those for the best of the system. Most people prefer the original, but I loved the characters in KOTOR 2.
    Never heard anyone call Beyond Good and Evil an RPG before, and wasn't the better version released on Gamecube?
    Fable is RPG enough for me! Best of the series, someday I need to go back and play the platinum edition, or the HD rerelease.
    Baldur's Gate was a gauntlet/Diablo clone... but for that type of gameplay I LOVED Bard's Tale. Hilarious.

There's also Lord of the Rings: The Third Age which was a straight-up turn-based Final Fantasy clone. Like everyone else, I didn't play it though.

Edit: There's also Metal Dungeon, again haven't played it.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-12-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

We're talking original Xbox here right? Why is this in modern gaming...? The Xbox has been retro for years now.

Anyway, I love the Xbox. It's about the only retro console that looks good natively on an HDTV. For the past several years, I've been actively collecting games I want for it, so I know the RPG lineup well.

The truth of the matter is that there really isn't a quintessential RPG for Xbox. For GameCube you could argue Skies of Arcadia or Tales of Symphonia and PS2 has way too many contenders from Final Fantasy X to Tales of the Abyss to Persona 4, but on the Xbox, the best you're gonna find are action RPGs.

Sudeki is worth a look, as is the Japan-only Tenerezza, but that game requires Japanese knowledge and tolerance for cuteness. A lot of people will tell you KOTOR is the best RPG, but neither game really ever clicked with me. same with Jade Empire. It wasn't until Mass Effect that BioWare won me over.

You might also want to check out Arx Fatalis, an obscure dungeon crawler that takes place in a world without a sun and everyone's moved underground. Finding a copy might be difficult though. In many years of hunting, I've only ever come across a single copy of the game, which is in my collection. It's not a common game at all.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

As far as I know Arx Fatalis is like the one XboX RPG I'm missing, not that I look real hard. There really isn't much on the system at all.

Edit: I lied. I'm also missing Enclave.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-12-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Make mine Morrowind!

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I don't know about the rest of you but I think dreamfall deserves at least an honorable mention, even tho it's considered more of a pc series.

Anyway my vote is obviously kotor, fable I never beat, good game tho
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    primordialhelios

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I wouldn't really consider BG&E as RPG, nor Fable. There might be RPG elements, but they're more adventureish games than RPGish.

Jade Empire, I tried a demo, didn't care for it at all, despite it being from Bioware, who generally make good RPG's. Or rather used to before EA bought them, but this is from well before that. I can't recall what exactly I didn't like about the demo, as this is like a decade ago.

KOTOR games, defintely the best games I played on the Xbox period, not just the best RPG's. However if you have a decent gaming PC it may be worth your while to look into those ports instead, and install some mods/upgrades. Lots of people bitch about content cut from the 2nd game and supposedly a fan patch on PC helps at least partly make up for it, but honestly I enjoyed the game just fine as it was.

Morrowind, lots of people think it's the best RPG ever, but I am not one of these people. I've tried to get into it a few times but just haven't been able to. I also have some similar issues with it's successors, Oblivion and Skyrim, but not nearly to the same degree. I'm sure it's me, not them. Fallout 3 & NV are practically the same thing in a different setting, and I love those to death. I will say, if you intend to pick this up on Xbox, look for the GOTY edition.

The rest you list I haven't played.
    You really don't need a gaming PC for KOTOR (for the first one at least). I can run it at 60 FPS with everything turned all the way up on low end PC from 2006. It's nice to finally be able to play a game at 60 FPS, lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to vote Morrowind, I love how fun it is to just wander around and all that jazz. Skyrim in my opinion abandoned this element. It seems too objective based, maybe that's just me.

I would also suggest getting the "game of the year" edition if you're going to pick up this game. You get both expansions with it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    primordialhelios

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I would have to vote Morrowind, I love how fun it is to just wander around and all that jazz. Skyrim in my opinion abandoned this element. It seems too objective based, maybe that's just me.

I would also suggest getting the "game of the year" edition if you're going to pick up this game. You get both expansions with it.
    Yes, Morrowind is, in my opinion, one of the best RPGs EVER. I've had so much fun with that game.
    I still haven't beaten DOOM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You have to g o through such a hassle just to play the game offline, so it's better on other consoles you can find it on, but Phantasy Star Online imo.
    I own the Xbox version, but have never played it due to Microsoft insisting that players have to have an Xbox Live account even to play single-player games offline. I ended up buying the GameCube version of it and pumping hundreds of hours into it (I had a character over level 120 until my 3rd party memory card became corrupted). I rarely play RPGs, but Phantasy Star Online was my absolute favorite of all time. Too bad they never managed to satisfactorily follow it up.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a few more exclusive titles on my shelf:

Kingdom under Fire Heroes
    Kingdom under Fire the Crusaders
    Magic The Gathering Battlegrounds
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Dungeons and Dragons Heroes
    Nightcaster
    Nightcaster II
    Blackstone Magic and Steel
    Memorick's Adventures Knights Apprentice (not sure if it is a RPG)

...and there are other multi-platform RPGs like The Hobbit and Future Tactics.

I played only a long time ago Pirates of the Caribbean because of its unusual RPG-setting on land and sea. Interesting sea battles, solid game concept and execution. Nothing to write home about, but also nothing bad to complain about.

Certainly, the first Fable and the two Knights of the Old Republic are way better. I still have to try (just out of curiosity) Jade Empire, Arx Fatalis and Enclave.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-22-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I played only a long time ago Pirates of the Caribbean because of its unusual RPG-setting on land and sea. Interesting sea battles, solid game concept and execution. Nothing to write home about, but also nothing bad to complain about.
    Fun Fact: Pirates of the Caribeean was original intended to be Sea Dogs 3, but they acquired the Disney license somehow and renamed it shortly before release.

I was under the impression that the Kingdom Under Fire games were like Dynasty Warrior clones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so this is an old thread, but still - how have so few people played Jade Empire?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    primordialhelios

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Ok, so this is an old thread, but still - how have so few people played Jade Empire?
    I've just never even heard of it, to be honest. I don't know anybody who has, so maybe people just forgot about it in favor of things like Halo.
    I still haven't beaten DOOM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Fun Fact: Pirates of the Caribeean was original intended to be Sea Dogs 3, but they acquired the Disney license somehow and renamed it shortly before release.

I was under the impression that the Kingdom Under Fire games were like Dynasty Warrior clones.
    You're absolutely right, dumb mistake, it was very late and I was really tired when I typed it. Of course, the Kingdom under Fire games are Dynasty Warriors clones but for some strange reason I like to have them for multiple systems right after my RPG sections (while I don't have Dynasty Warriors at all).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Jade Empire flew under the radar from the getgo. If I remember correctly the reason was one which is very often the case when it comes to underrated games -- a release shortly before or after a great game which gets all the attention. Jade Empire was released shortly after another Bioware game, namely Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Compared to this game it fell short, and so it was very soon forgotten and not very often played. Now in hindsight I hear very often that this game is much better than its image and worthwhile playing.

I have to give it a try.

Correction: I couldn't stand to look at the typo in the word 'corectly'. I had to 'corect' it.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-23-2016 at 07:57 PM.