Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best new IPs of the seventh generation

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I can't believe that I forgot to mention it but I thought Dante's Inferno was REALLY amazing. I was always a fan of The Divine Comedy, and I thought that they did an amazing job adapting it. I really have no idea why this game performed poorly, or so I'm told. I guess we'll never see a sequel.

You know, this past generation is one of the only (if not THE only) that the majority of my favorite titles weren't from Japanese developers.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 12-22-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I can't believe that I forgot to mention it but I thought Dante's Inferno was REALLY amazing. I was always a fan of The Divine Comedy, and I thought that they did an amazing job adapting it. I really have no idea why this game performed poorly, or so I'm told. I guess we'll never see a sequel.

You know, this past generation is one of the only (if not THE only) that the majority of my favorite titles weren't from Japanese developers.
    This too. So many amazing games came from EA this gen. I'm one of those people who defend EA because they do things wrong but people don't see the things they do right. What about the millions of things other devs screw up on and gamers just brush it off you know?

As for Dante's Inferno, the game is like God of War, but gameplay and story both are far better. I still wouldn't put it above DmC Devil May Cry, DMC3, or the Lords of Shadow games, but it's up there. Lords of Shadow should also be considered a new IP but Konami wanted to label it Castlevania to try and get more sales. It backfired though, because everyone hated the game simply because it was labeled Castlevania. Lords of Shadow, Mirror of Fate, and Lords of Shadow 2 are all great games imo.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've heard the comparison made, but I've never played God of War. It's weird, because I own about 6 God of War titles, and I love the action genre, but for some reason or another I've never gotten to checking the series out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Off the top of my head:

Demon's/Dark Souls - new old school fantasy action rpg, just amazing
    Batman Arkham series - amazing new take on Batman, big surprise from Rocksteady
    Darksiders - synthesis of Zelda and God of War, and a bit of Diablo with the sequel
    Assassin's Creed - specifically the 'Ezio Trilogy,' though the series is run into the ground now
    Portal - first person puzzle game, perfect mix of challenge and Valve humor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I actually have that one arriving in the mail today for PS4. I tried to play it on the pS3 but there's a documented bug where it's unplayable on certain PS3 systems (my luck I have that one.) I never could see it beyond the opening scene with the suv and burning home as the bug was a glitch in auto/save load and it would crash and reload the drive infinitely without switching the pS3 off. I've wanted to play it a long time because the Uncharted crew made it and I know they know their stuff with gameplay and story.
    It worked fine on my 60 GB PS3.

My wife told me I was getting a PS4 for Christmas, so I went ahead and bought the game for $34 from Target. The PS4 is what this game was really meant to be played on. It really is pushing the PS3 hardware beyond any other title I've played on the console and there were moments where the frame-rate would dip into the single digits when the action got too intense.

This is the best game Naughty Dog has released to date, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Interesting. I haven't warmed up to it much yet as I seem to be having a struggle with the gunplay a bit, feel like I'm being shot through walls at times due to perspective. I've got up to Ellie, the rain storm, and then my partner showing back up to advance the game further and saved it there. Considering all the ads I've seen since it popped up, she doesn't have long for the world I'm sure.

I think the story and sets are nice, just afraid the wonky combat controls will infuriate me into stopping sooner or later as it's not as smooth as Uncharted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The first couple of hours are pretty average. Once you get newer weapons, the ability to use bombs/smoke bombs and an improved hearing ability, the way you'll handle the enemies becomes more strategic.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Blur were great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. BaconStein View Post
    Batman: Arkham Asylum and Blur were great.
    Another amazing game I didn't think of. Well, I thought of it, but it being "Batman" I didn't think of it being a new IP, but I agree it should be considered a new IP because it's not just Batman but it's the "Arkham" series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gamevet I hope you're right. I just did yesterday that part with the clickers and a few runners inside what is like an old subway depot or whatever before going outdoors into an area with a semi and 3 hearers in a building. I'm really having problems fighting with the controls, they're just not very intuitive, clumsy really which shocks me as it's just not fluid like Uncharted is at all. The lack of an ability to do controlled jumping or the type of active cover mechanics of Uncharted bugs me. The atmosphere is great though and I'm closing in on the capitol at this point. The best item I have at this rate at least is the molotov cocktail, used 3 of those to clear the clickers underground because they kept killing me which made no sense. I'd be taking a board to them and they'd do a one bite clamp on the neck, and it was random too which was crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Gamevet I hope you're right. I just did yesterday that part with the clickers and a few runners inside what is like an old subway depot or whatever before going outdoors into an area with a semi and 3 hearers in a building. I'm really having problems fighting with the controls, they're just not very intuitive, clumsy really which shocks me as it's just not fluid like Uncharted is at all. The lack of an ability to do controlled jumping or the type of active cover mechanics of Uncharted bugs me. The atmosphere is great though and I'm closing in on the capitol at this point. The best item I have at this rate at least is the molotov cocktail, used 3 of those to clear the clickers underground because they kept killing me which made no sense. I'd be taking a board to them and they'd do a one bite clamp on the neck, and it was random too which was crap.
    The idea with the Clickers is to not be heard by them. It's a good idea to get one of them alone and do a sneak attack with a shiv.

I haven't tried the PS4 version yet, because the network is down. I just got my PS4 today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I saw no way to do that as there were four if them in ear shot distance. I may or may not me meant to play the game as I can never survive in these illogical nonsense 'stealth' games as the makers have these dopey ideas of what being stealth is and then you get the canned youre dead response from it despite beating the crap out of something. The only stealth gameI ever survived was MGS1 integral on PC, barely, and I used a lot of ammo. If this is just some big stealth game I am screwed.

I almost flipped my shit in the building they first show up where you drop into a room of 4 since it wont let you shoot from above. I kept getting surrounded and eaten, eventually got lucky with a brick and a pipe as the gun was too slow. Im struggling playing it on normal difficulty.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

mass effect
    dragon age
    gears of war

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gears Of War
    Batman 3D
    Uncharted
    Portal

everyone is copying these games.

Honerable mention to the souls series cause I love them.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Adding two games. Heavy Rain and Hotline Miami. If it counts, also The Walking Dead from Tell Tale games.

I listed The Last of Us as one of the best new IPs last gen because I've only watched it being played and like a lot of other people that was my assumption. I've finally started playing it since I got it on the PS4 and have been playing on survivor difficulty, only recently reaching the first gameplay video we saw at one of the E3s. A decent way in not sure how far though.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed The Last of Us was such a great game until I've played it myself, although from what I have played I will still say that I believe it still is one of the best new IPs of the gen. I'll also agree with Tanooki though that the game is ridiculously overrated. I don't mind the functionality of the controls, just how well they respond. The controls just feel super janky and uncomfortable especially when your retarded allies are immovable walls. The stealth in the game seems alright as well, but only the humans really, the stealth during the clicker sections is just really slow and boring.

I think The Last of Us has received its overly high ratings because Naughty Dog developed it and it's had some of the best graphics on last gen consoles. When it comes to the overall game though, it could definitely use some polish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I finished Mass Effect and I really enjoyed it. It's on my list now of best new 7th gen IPs. I believe it's also my first Bioware game. I'll have to play a few more now.