Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things that you don't want to see anymore in modern games (but are still there)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm pretty sure EA hasn't released the Mass Effect games with all DLC included. I've been waiting for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think they did in the Trilogy. Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 had all the DLC included. I played that game through all that added stuff. I would definitely not have paid for it as it wouldn't be worth the added dough, but as it being the real 'full game' it was all just nice being there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default A few more I thought of...

• Achievement notifications that pop up in real time without regard for what's happening on screen - I know that achievements are a relatively new thing in gaming, and I don't own an XBONE or a PS4, so I don't know if this still happens with the newer consoles, but I can't tell you how many times that damn XBOX360 onscreen achievement notification graphic and chime has appeared during a firefight, or a cut scene with subtitled dialog that it obscures, or some other situation that took me out of the gaming experience if only for 3 seconds.

I understand the benefits of having a standard notification placement and graphic, but you'd think they'd implement them better into the games, and code them to appear when the proverbial coast is clear. You know?

• BULLSHIT, WTF endings - Right, that's broad so I'll be more specific. I recently ended Bioshock. I know, I'm late to the party, but I shelved it in 2011 (according to my last save file) because I just wasn't feeling it. I'm SO glad I decided to revisit it though, because it was easily one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a while. I had no idea that it was basically Dead Space under water. I LOVE Dead Space, it's definitely my favorite 7th gen IP, and once I took Bioshock seriously and realized the mechanics (and atmosphere) where very similar I didn't stop playing until the end. Which brings me to my problem. I don't want to spoil anything for any other late comers to the game so [SPOILER ALERT], but the ending I received was shorter than the damn attract mode video. I mean it REALLY left me wondering if I hit a button or something accidentally while it was going.

I fight the last boss again, and watched the ending again, and yep, it's just REALLY that short. I played through on the normal setting. If there's a better ending on a different difficulty setting or something, that's STILL fucked up that I got such a shit one. It's not like the game was a cake walk or anything (I rescued every Little Sister in the game), even though the final boss battle was about half as difficult as your typical Bouncer Big Daddy encounter. But I'd rather this than a long ass drawn out fight, which was one of the things I ranted about in another post in this topic.

• 'Leap of faith' camera sequences - I HATE when the camera doesn't show you what's in front of you and you're expected to outrun some threat, or take a jumping leap of faith into the void and hope (if it's your first play through) that you make it to where you needed to end up.

I'm playing Bayonetta, another game I shelved a while ago, and I reached a sequence on one of the earlier stages where there's a massive lava flow behind you and you have to outrun it while avoiding a few large enemies along the corridor you're running...but you can't look forward. There's only a 3 quarter frontward view, and an angle where the camera is looking at the front of your character. It's a very cinematic and stylized sequence, but it's terrible game design to make you navigate it. Just make it a cut scene already instead of having me die multiple times trying to figure out what to do and where to run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I'm pretty sure EA hasn't released the Mass Effect games with all DLC included. I've been waiting for that.
    Me too. Seeing this gen is the gen of remasters I have a feeling we will get the ME trilogy remastered(with all DLC) at some point for current gen.

I hate EA but they just have some IP's I cant resist. I love Battlefield(just bought the PC edition with all DLC for $30) and if Battlefront is worth anything, I will likely buy it on multiple platforms(friends are mostly on XBOX, though I prefer PC controls) at launch.
    OT:

• I would love if I could skip the cutscenes of every game. I dont think I have ever been invested in any games story or characters ever. Let people like me skip the story.
    • I know I am preaching to the choir here but pretty much every type of DLC and microtransaction needs to go.
    • I would also like to see unreasonable budgets go. This ties in with DLC, you shouldnt build a game off hoping x% of people are going to buy DLC. Too many games that are selling 3-4 million are coming back as financial failures.
    • Unreasonable development time lines need to go. Too many big name games are being shipped broken. Too many games need massive day 1 patches.
    • Adding achievements with DLC. Lots of folks love their achievements(I do to an extent). I would be heartbroken if I lost my XBOX badge for a game like Dark Souls(I got all achievements) if they kept adding new dlc with new achievements. Maybe I am a weirdo but some games I really feel good about finishing %100. To have that taken away behind a paywall sucks.
    • Delisting of games/DLC without warning. This one really gets me. We've probably lost the legal means to buy 50-100 games last gen and countless DLC expansions/items. Not only do they delist these things, they dont take the time to inform the gaming community. Put them on sale or in the very least inform people so you can get some last minute sales.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have no idea about Mass Effect 1 or 3, but if you saw my last post I said I did have ME2 for PS3, and because it was released later on there and without ME1 it was handled differently. The game has an interactive comic to read/decide things to create the relationships and stories of the first game. But once in the real ME2 game all of it is there, DLC and all. I finished that game more or less entirely.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Referring to DLC and EA, my roommate is a huge hockey fan. Apparently in NHL 2015, they have you buying packs of cards (for reasons I don't know, cuz I don't play sports games). He has literally spent over $400 in "micro transactions" just to build his collection or stats or what have you. $400 could get you a new console, and he is paying this just for one game on the 360.

I don't fall for this shit. XBLA games, yeah, I'll get a game I really want for $15, or an add in for $10 here and thete. Hockey games that you are $400+ deep in on? Total waste of money. That could go into a savings account towards a new vehicle when the ole POS craps out on you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Referring to DLC and EA, my roommate is a huge hockey fan. Apparently in NHL 2015, they have you buying packs of cards (for reasons I don't know, cuz I don't play sports games). He has literally spent over $400 in "micro transactions" just to build his collection or stats or what have you. $400 could get you a new console, and he is paying this just for one game on the 360.

I don't fall for this shit. XBLA games, yeah, I'll get a game I really want for $15, or an add in for $10 here and thete. Hockey games that you are $400+ deep in on? Total waste of money. That could go into a savings account towards a new vehicle when the ole POS craps out on you.
    EA's FIFA games use the same card system and are the main cause of rampant account hacking on Xbox Live.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't mind if they stopped porting all the old games from one generation ago and pretending it is something new and deserves to be full price once again.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they stopped porting all the old games from one generation ago and pretending it is something new and deserves to be full price once again.
    This is something I don't mind, re-releasing upgraded + all DLC versions of games is a great way to leverage a publisher's catalog, fill in release schedules while newer games are developed, and introduce great games from previous gens to potential new audiences. And often these "remastered" editions include multiple games in one sku.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I look at the so called remastered games as the complete game so I don't mind them. It is nice getting all the DLC along with better graphics.

I waited to buy "Last of Us", "Tomb Raider", and some others when they were redone and on the current generation over buying the previous generation version.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    This is something I don't mind, re-releasing upgraded + all DLC versions of games is a great way to leverage a publisher's catalog, fill in release schedules while newer games are developed, and introduce great games from previous gens to potential new audiences. And often these "remastered" editions include multiple games in one sku.
    I guess I should have phrased that a little better. I am really talking about one game and that is Dark Souls 2. They showed us one thing for the graphics and gave us something else. Now they are like well here are better graphics now give us $60 again. It is annoying because they think DirectX 11 is some crazy feature. Fuck it Bloodborne will be out not too long after the "new" version. I just hate milking us. I bought the collector's edition for PS3 played through it. I bought the PC version and the season pass. Now this comes out. Makes me crazy. You can tell Namco has From Software by the balls. I mean the game isn't even a year old...
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're talking about the classic bait and switch tactics in advertising versus reality. The industry has done this since the dawn of home 3D gaming. I remember when Sony would on the backs of some boxes put pictures of the movies instead of game play to cover up the shittiness of the game itself, even Square would do it too, and often even Nintendo people would find suggestive angles in images to sell something that was dishonest. You couldn't cover the lie very well with box art in the 2D stuff because it was the game and that was it, but in 3D you open up lots of ways to sucker the buyer. I quit trusting boxes as the SNES era went out.

As far as the package deal stuff, I did the same as some of your others. Tomb Raider was a PS4 pick, as was the Last of Us (which annoyingly I dislike due to the controls of all things...why could they not have had it handle like Uncharted?!), and even on PS3 I snapped up those God of War packages and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, LittleBigPlanet, Mass Effect 2. They were all cleaned up, bettered in many ways, and where it applies had all the DLC thrown in free too. I'm kind of done buying games new right off if I have any suspicion at all it will have DLC or a definitive edition later on. I'd rather wait a year and get $150-200+ in game+DLC that should have been included for usually $40-50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paid DLC and micro transactions.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 02-04-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

A limited amount of letters for your characters name.

Dragon's Crown and Fantasy Life are good games, but one thing they have in common is that I have to limit my character's name. On Dragon's Crown it's eight letters and Fantasy Life it's six I think. The size that games are right now and you can't afford the space for players to have a longer name? It's an annoyance when I play but there aren't enough spaces for kupomogli, etc.

*edit*

Also now that I think about it. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call limits your name to four letters.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-04-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something I've had an issue with for the last couple of gens is game series that were previously known for exploration going linear for the sake of "story." However, this trend seems to be reversing with the upcoming Legend of Zelda U and Final Fantasy XV.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    a limited amount of letters for your characters name.
    omg yes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

QTE's- burn them with fire! Man I hate those stupid things!

DLC to fix unfinished games, or patches to fix what should have been a beta- what is with studios not finishing their work anymore? Day 1 patches, promised content becoming paid DLC, and generally just half arsing the whole thing. I'm ok with DLC, but don't yank out promised content and then sell it separately, and for God sakes finish the game so it WORKS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

QTE - Nothing breaks my immersion in a game more than button prompts flashing on screen.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've hated QTEs since Dragon's Lair, and only more recently with God of War on PS3 and a few others have they been made only slightly less insufferable at least showing you what to push instead of just some flicker on screen. I'd love to know what they were boiling in their bong at Square-Enix when they put those in the boss fights on FF13-2 I've seen so far.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Save Points. As if it was not a big enough pain in the rump before, you would think developers these would have figured out that, when the player dies we DO NOT like starting the entire fracking level over. I can think of many games that have done it right. PS2 God of War at least the game auto-saved at the tough parts and you can try your hand as many times needed to get through it without losing progression and without being diverted back to your last save point. Often too many times you get 3 lives and have to back track. I'm too old and impatient for that crap anymore.