Thread: Jak & Daxter vs. Sly vs. Ratchet & Clank

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Jak & Daxter vs. Sly vs. Ratchet & Clank

Now I want to ask you guys about Sony's popular platforming franchises.

How would you rank them, along with their sequels, in order, from best to worst?

I have little experience with Ratchet and Clank, but from what I played of the first Sly and Jak, I thought Sly's first game was the better of the two. The first Jak just seemed mediocre, but I'm told it had much more compelling sequels. I also noticed that Sly's most recent game quickly fell into the budget price without seeing a greatest hits release, probably because people don't care for platformers these days that aren't Mario. Let me know about that one, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually really like the first Jak game. The Precursor Legacy. It reminds me of Crash Bandicoot a bit, and Mario 64. It kinda has a late 90's platformer vibe that I like.

Of course, the first Sly isn't bad either. I really need to play through it more. Same thing with Precursor Legacy. I don't think I ever completed it.

I think the Ratchet and Clank games are a wee bit overrated, but they are still very good in their own right. If I had to pick one of the whole bunch, it would be the first Jak.

If only Naughty Dog would make another game like that, except with modern, state of the art graphics. You'd think they would be able to form a small 30 man team dedicated to making a new Jak game.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I liked Jak and Daxter The Precursor Legacy, hated the second game, never played the third. The first game was a large open world but you actually had direction, so it kept gameplay enjoyable. The collecting had you progressing to harder to reach areas and through platforming sections. The second one has the town as the main hub and your base of operations is the furthest location possible from either of the two exits, making going from your base to outside taking a few minutes at minimum back and forth each time both back and forth. It didn't take me very long to quit the game and I'm not interested in the third if the second one is that bad.

Never played a Sly but watching videos it just looked so boring.

The only Ratchet I've ever played is All 4 One free from PS+. I thought the game was complete ass. I think I made it through a stage before I never touched it again.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I recently played through the first Sly game and am partially the way through the second. I love it. I never really liked Jak and Daxter, and the Ratchet and Clank games never clicked with me like the Spyro games did but I suppose they're okay.

Shame Sucker Punch is now stuck making inFamous sequels forever. The reason why the fourth Sly fell of the radar so quickly is that it was a late PS3 release IIRC and it was handled by the people who did the Sly HD collection rather than Sucker Punch themselves. Again, because they are stuck making inFamous. It got great reviews and is well liked, but I want to play through the first three first. I don't think it did too well sales wise or something and neither companies are interested in a fifth apparently. Though with the movie coming out next year, who knows.
    Last edited by Tupin; 01-21-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

All three are great and play to different strengths. You can actually see developers actively learning how to make a PS2 game with each subsequent game in each respective series.

Of the three, I like Ratchet & Clank the most, but wouldn't say no to an entry from the other two.