Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Expensive Optical Disc Games?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Most Expensive Optical Disc Games?

The recent eBay sale of that sealed NES Stadium Events cart got me thinking about all these super-expensive video games that have been grabbing headlines lately. It seems that all the big sellers are cartridge based games (Air Raid, Zelda proto, Nintendo Competition cart, etc.). So what are the biggest sellers on the optical disc format? I don't recall ever reading anything about sales of any disc games reaching the dizzying heights of any of their cartridge predecessors. So do collectors tend to value cart games more than disc games? And the obvious sub-question: What are the most valuable disc games out there? I can think of a few off the top of my head that reach the $100+ range like Snatcher on the Sega CD or Suikoden II on PS1, but are there any that reach the thousand to ten-thousand dollar level of those super-rare carts?
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Someone brought up FF7 for the PS1 very recently for sale/offer and it was new and black label, and so I went and looked at ebay and found they were clearing at or over $300. That seems a bit nuts to me but whatever, and oddly the green label one wasn't even all that close to $100.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Eye of Typhoon for 3DO has broken the $1k mark when it's come up for auction.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What does Syphon Filter 3 with the recalled cover on the PS1 go for these days?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

By the condition of most "used" disc games I've seen I wouldn't spend $100 or more on any disc game, if a cart is in rough shape but boots up and plays it's typically good but a scratched up disc can boot up and play but lock up at any moment

I've seen some Sega Saturn & PS1 games in big boxes go for a couple hundred but I haven't seen any go for Stadium Events prices

I imagine some of the Neo Geo & Turbo CD games go for a good amount because of how rare they are

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I sold my Bonk 3 Super CD for the Turboduo a year or two back for $380 on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I got around $500 for my sealed Blue Chicago Blues when I unloaded my LaserActive collection on Ebay 3-4 years ago. I've seen used copies of Time Gal get close to $1000 around that time.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

With PC games World of Warcraft Collector's Edition still sells for over 2K monies brand new. Seriously, 2 grand or higher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221624049872
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151435403708

There are several TurboDuo CD games worth several hundred dollars. With some games brand new copies could be worth quite a bit more, if they actually came up for sale.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Huh, so far Eye of Typhoon is in the lead for non-sealed games, and there are a couple of other Korean 3DO exclusive releases that have gone above $1K too.

On the US front, complete copies of Lucienne's Quest go for $300-$400. Not sure about 3DO DinoPark Tycoon but I think it's more.

Outside of limited-edition stuff (convention releases and tchotchkes), do any other disc games have a track record of breaking the $1k mark when unsealed? It'd be oddly funny if the 3DO really is the console with the biggest numbers in that department.

BTW Daytona CCE Netlink on the Saturn was somewhere in the mid-three-figure range when last I checked, at least unsealed.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

There are a ton that go for over $100 regularly, but only a few games reach the thousand plus with any regularity. A few expensive titles:

Saturn:
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Psychic Assassin Taromaru
    Radiant Silvergun
    Shining Force III
    Daytona USA Championship Circuit Netlink Edition (that on has crossed $1000)
    Hyper Duel
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Battle Garegga
    Tryrush Deppy
    Mega Man 8
    Burning Rangers
    Cotton Boomerang

3DO:
    Lucienne's Quest

Sega CD:
    Snatcher
    Keio Flying Squadron
    Popful Mail
    The Space Adventure

Turbo CD/PC Engine CD:
    Renny Blaster
    Beyond Shadowgate
    Vasteel
    Y's III
    Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
    Fausette Armor
    Sylphia
    Sapphire
    Steam Heart's
    Castlevania: Dracula X

Anyway, there's a small sample of standard releases that regularly hit the hundreds, and there are way more. Zelda's Adventure on CD-i, Crossed Swords II on Neo Geo CD, Border Down for Dreamcast... and I haven't touched a Sony or Nintendo system, or limited editions. The gist is, the market is there, but it's a newer market than cartridges, and it will all continue to change. It's not about format as much as it is about market competition and rarity/quality. Some of those Neo Geo games have fewer copies than Nintendo World Championship carts, and they're up there, but more people want Stadium Events or NWC to try to complete collections. Same deal with Magical Chase. Why pay $2k for Sengoku 3 for AES when you can buy an MVS cab with the cart for $200? Only to complete a collection.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hasn't Dracula X gone back down since the PSP and Wii VC releases?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time Gal for the LaserActive will easily clear $1000 when it shows up for sale, it's normally more in the $1500 range at least for a nice copy with obi. The US releases of Blue Chicago Blues and Road Blaster are also very very pricy now.

And at least one person was willing to pay around $1200 for a copy of Daytona USA CCE: Netlink Edition for the Saturn:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daytona-USA-...-/171576106110

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Time Gal for the LaserActive will easily clear $1000 when it shows up for sale, it's normally more in the $1500 range at least for a nice copy with obi. The US releases of Blue Chicago Blues and Road Blaster are also very very pricy now.
    I'd heard that Time Gal was rare, but I didn't realize it was that high! I've been wanting to find a source for Blue Chicago Blues because the English-language audio could be used to replace the 3DO version's audio, but I recently learned there was also a Windows release in English.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    And at least one person was willing to pay around $1200 for a copy of Daytona USA CCE: Netlink Edition for the Saturn:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daytona-USA-...-/171576106110
    Wow, only a year or so ago there was an auction of a sealed copy that went for less than that, IIRC. Saturn prices are continuing to go nuts.

I'd be curious to see whether Eye of Typhoon still stays well above $1000 since it's been dumped. Too bad the framerate is low, as it's a nice-looking game in still shots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    With PC games World of Warcraft Collector's Edition still sells for over 2K monies brand new. Seriously, 2 grand or higher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221624049872
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151435403708

sale.
    I could swear that I have seen a copy of this sitting in one of my local Wal Marts. But then again, it may be one of the other versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for the 3DO?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    What about Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for the 3DO?
    Still possible to grab this one for around $100 CIB if you're patient, and even the overpriced BINs are only a bit over $200. It's not cheap, but it's not yet in the rarefied zone of games like Lucienne's Quest or Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Hilarious -- and hilariously terrible -- "game", BTW (it's really a visual novel in disguise). On a technical level it's beyond disastrous, but it's so bizarre and half-assed that it manages to be entertaining.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone forgets this one, but the Saturn game "Crows", a 2D beat-em-up, fetches about the same or close to Panzer Dragoon Saga, at about $300 complete.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Still possible to grab this one for around $100 CIB if you're patient, and even the overpriced BINs are only a bit over $200. It's not cheap, but it's not yet in the rarefied zone of games like Lucienne's Quest or Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Hilarious -- and hilariously terrible -- "game", BTW (it's really a visual novel in disguise). On a technical level it's beyond disastrous, but it's so bizarre and half-assed that it manages to be entertaining.
    And it probably would've gone unnoticed if the AVGN didn't review it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Mentioned, but the big ones I see are Saturn Panzer Dragoon (multiple titles), Bonk 3 and Super Air Zonk for Turbo Duo, Castlevania Rondo of Blood PCE CD, and Snatcher Sega CD.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whats the verdict on Snatcher? It looks pretty cool but is it one of those games that are overrated due to it being a rare game or is it actually good?