Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wii Virtual Console Turbo Grafx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii Virtual Console Turbo Grafx

i got a couple of Wii Points cards can anyone suggest a few good TG16 games?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...FTurboGrafx-CD

Thanks.
    Last edited by PizzaKat; 01-22-2015 at 09:57 PM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Lords of Thunder and Castlevania

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Where to start? Tons of good games for the TG16. Bonk series, Legendary Axe series, New Adventure Island, Splatterhouse, Bloody Wolf, Gate of Thunder, Air Zonk, Neutopia series, Galaga 90. I could go on forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A fool would buy TG16 CD type games and ignore Ys Book I&II. Gradius 2 is also excellent. I'll also agree with Castlevania Rondo of Blood as I used to own that one too. Bonk 3 is also fantastic and fantastically overpriced on a real disc.

If you went hucard style, there's a good spread on there with: the Bonks, the Bombermans 93 and 94, New Adventure Island, Super star Soldier, Military Madness, Splatterhouse, Bravoman (kinda like megaman), Ninja Spirit, Blazing Lazers, Alien or Devils Crush, Air Zonk, Galaga 90, and Detana Twinbee to name a few.

If the Gate of Thunder release on there is the ENTIRE CD from the TG16 that's your best buy for the money. The game was a system pack in, it came also with Bonk1 and Bonk2, and if you keyed in a few buttons on the controller, you could also unlock Bomberman (aka Dynablaster in Europe on PC and TG16 if you look it up because it's not the NES Bomberman.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just so you know, Castlevania Rondo of Blood is on the PSP Castlevania release. So if you'd rather spend your points on something exclusive to the Wii where modern gaming platforms are concerned, you might want to pass on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't the PSP version a remake? The Wii version is at least accurat to the original release.

As for other recommendations; the Bonk games and Dungeon Explorer are good'ns.

Also, I recommend taking look at the Nep Geo section if you haven't already. Some real gems in there too.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I haven't looked to see what all is up, but I'll list some I enjoy:

Last Alert
    Final Soldier
    War of the Dead
    Valkyrie no Densetsu
    Blazing Lazers
    Salamander
    Gradius II
    Super Star Soldier
    Star Parodier
    Gate of Thunder
    Lords of Thunder
    Soldier Blade
    Air Zonk
    Super Air Zonk
    Bonk's Adventure
    Bonk's Revenge
    Bonk's Big Adventure
    Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
    Legendary Axe
    Legendary Axe II
    Y's Book I&II
    Exile
    Cadash
    Neutopia
    Neutopia II
    Bloody Wolf
    R-Type Complete
    Legend of Xanadu
    Legend of Xanadu II
    Dungeon Explorer
    Dungeon Explorer II
    Military Madness
    Sidearms
    Sinistron
    Ninja Spirit

Also, yes, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is on the PSP remake. Yes, the main game is a polygonal remake, but the 2D originsl and Symphony of the Night are unlockable.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    If the Gate of Thunder release on there is the ENTIRE CD from the TG16 that's your best buy for the money.
    I don't have it but I doubt it's the multi-game CD they'd give you for $8. (or else you wouldn't need to buy the two Bonk games for another $12. )
    (I bought Lords of Thunder, and I was convinced I wanted it physically so I bought the Sega CD version that was only slightly cheaper)

(the SMS games probably deliberately skipped the BIOS so as to not even give you the snail game for free)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Isn't the PSP version a remake? The Wii version is at least accurat to the original release.
    While Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is a remake, the original is also included as an extra (Along with Symphony of the Night).

Edit: Celerystalker already explained, I see.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Just so you know, Castlevania Rondo of Blood is on the PSP Castlevania release. So if you'd rather spend your points on something exclusive to the Wii where modern gaming platforms are concerned, you might want to pass on that one.
    Technically any of the vintage games available for the virtual console are also available for download and emulation elsewhere, so being available elsewhere isn't that much of a reason to avoid a purchase when it comes to any virtual console games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about that the exclusive games only on the Wii. I was going to get S.C.A.T. but since its on the Wii U I'd rather get games that will most likely never appear on that console. So I'd rather just get games that I most likely won't get since TurboGrafx Cd games are way too much for my blood not to mention the console itself. There is also the issue of how long these would be up as well. I'm not sure why they discontinued some games.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, buying Turbo CD games at market value is a little out of hand these days, and with all the capacitor issues the units are prone to, snapping those up is likely a great alternative. If I hadn't gotten my stuff a long time ago when it didn't cost so much, I'd be looking at VC or all the Hudson re-release collections on PSP. They did some cool collections like Star Soldier and Tengai Makyou in Japan, and they look pretty cool.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-23-2015 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Spirit rocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Going to agree with celery, buying any good TG CD game these days is not cost intelligent or effective. The last time I looked a year ago or two for Ys Book 1&2 it was disturbingly high for what that game is and how many times it has been re-released in modern formats in better shape (other than the music, love the music.) I don't have a Wii, but if I did, that list for those prices would be SUPER tempting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Technically any of the vintage games available for the virtual console are also available for download and emulation elsewhere, so being available elsewhere isn't that much of a reason to avoid a purchase when it comes to any virtual console games.
    I was only talking about official availability, either in download or physical form, on a contemporary game console/handheld.

I didn't know if it mattered to him, but it seemed possibly pertinent (As it appears it was, judging by his response).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-25-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Going to agree with celery, buying any good TG CD game these days is not cost intelligent or effective. The last time I looked a year ago or two for Ys Book 1&2 it was disturbingly high for what that game is and how many times it has been re-released in modern formats in better shape (other than the music, love the music.) I don't have a Wii, but if I did, that list for those prices would be SUPER tempting.
    The Wii is a fantastic buy even if you get it just for Virtual Console games.

I actually have a story to back this up. About 7 years ago, I bought Pulseman on the Mega Drive. Original Japanese version, CIB. $60 shipped from Singapore.

7 years later... Pulseman's secondary market "value" has tripled (probably due to the few thousand Sega kids dotting the Americas who got to play it back in the day now having disposable income, and Game Freak's massive worldwide popularity from Pokémon and HarmoKnight). A legal download of Pulseman on the Wii Virtual Console is $9.

So, you can get a Wii for about $50-60, blow a $20 Wii Points card on Pulseman and something else, and still come out ahead by about $100. Plus, you'll have one more game.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never understood the point of Virtual Console when all of these games can be emulated for free. I'd be damned if I pay Nintendo money to play 20 year old games that they didn't even produce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Never understood the point of Virtual Console when all of these games can be emulated for free. I'd be damned if I pay Nintendo money to play 20 year old games that they didn't even produce.
    The point? To at least be legit for having the ROM along with the knowledge that it's going to work and you didn't have to go to some virus-laden site to get it.

You filthy pirate, you

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To play it on any TV with authentic/semi authentic controllers. Not that you couldn't do that also with a hacked Wii.

Nintendo need to shore up their VC ownership policy though. It's BS that if you have more than one of any given console you have to buy the games for each one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Nintendo didn't produce them, then Nintendo is paying somebody for the rights to have them on their Virtual Console. Paying for these games shows there is still interest in these games.

Emulation is fine in certain circumstances (unreleased Japanese games, stupid expensive games). But if there's a way I can show SNK or Konami I still care about their games, I'm sure as shit going to pump a couple bucks their way.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12