Thread: PT (The Silent Hill thing) on PS4 - my goodness, had no idea!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default PT (The Silent Hill thing) on PS4 - my goodness, had no idea!

So, I know that this "PT" thing came out for the Playstation 4. Some type of demo that supposedly lasts an hour or so.

For whatever reason, I just never decided to pick up the demo.

So, I listen to a bunch of gaming podcasts. All of them have been doing their "Game of the Year" episodes, and it's amazing to me, how many times I've heard "PT" mentioned as a legit Game of the Year candidate. A free demo, that lasts about an hour or two at the most, yet it's Game of the Year material ? To me, that seemed amazingly improbable, but I decided to download the demo and find out myself.

Why not try it if all these people are mentioning it as a legit GOTY contender ?

So I try the game, and my goodness, this puppy is pretty spectacular. If the full Silent Hill game is even 1 tenth as impressive as PT is, it could be one of the greatest horror games of all time. Seriously, if you have a PS4, you must download this demo and play it. Preferably with the lights out, and the surround sound and subwoofer cranked to the maximum. Gotta experience it the right way.

You'll definitely want somebody sitting next to you though. Trust me on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    So, I know that this "PT" thing came out for the Playstation 4. Some type of demo that supposedly lasts an hour or so.

For whatever reason, I just never decided to pick up the demo.

So, I listen to a bunch of gaming podcasts. All of them have been doing their "Game of the Year" episodes, and it's amazing to me, how many times I've heard "PT" mentioned as a legit Game of the Year candidate. A free demo, that lasts about an hour or two at the most, yet it's Game of the Year material ? To me, that seemed amazingly improbable, but I decided to download the demo and find out myself.

Why not try it if all these people are mentioning it as a legit GOTY contender ?

So I try the game, and my goodness, this puppy is pretty spectacular. If the full Silent Hill game is even 1 tenth as impressive as PT is, it could be one of the greatest horror games of all time. Seriously, if you have a PS4, you must download this demo and play it. Preferably with the lights out, and the surround sound and subwoofer cranked to the maximum. Gotta experience it the right way.

You'll definitely want somebody sitting next to you though. Trust me on that.
    Now if we could only play it with the Occulus.....

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I played it the night I got my PS4. Good stuff, but the sudden appearance of Norman Reedus took me right out of it for reasons I didn't fully grasp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Now if we could only play it with the Occulus.....

Hmm, I don't know how I feel about playing stuff like PT in VR. I mean, I wonder if there could be any health implications from playing something like that.

Is there such a thing as being scared to death ? I mean, I would imagine an 80 year old person with a very weak heart could possibly be scared to the point of actually having a heart attack.

At a certain point, things could get too realistic, too horrific, that our brain goes into a "fight or flight" mode, thinking that what we are experiencing is real. I know there have been scenarios where people were so freaked out by real life events that they actually had a cardiac event and died. I don't know if VR will get to that level in the very near future, but I think there is going to be some unforeseen health consequences with VR.

Not for 97 percent of the users of VR, just 3 percent or less. But all it will take is one or two people dying from VR being too realistic, and it could have severe impacts to the future of VR in general. Imagine the lawsuits.

Remember the lawsuits with people accidentally throwing their wii-mote into their plasmas ? Now, imagine if people are actually dying while playing games ( and not because they were in a Korean gaming cafe playing for 72 hours straight without moving at all )

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I played it the night I got my PS4. Good stuff, but the sudden appearance of Norman Reedus took me right out of it for reasons I didn't fully grasp.

I haven't gotten to that part yet, heh. But yeah, I could definitely see how that would take you right out of the experience. I'm stuck at a certain point in the demo, trying to figure out how to make it move forward, but I've been trying to avoid actually looking up walkthroughs on the net. I'm trying my best to figure it out on my own ( and to a certain degree, I kinda don't want the experience to end )
    Last edited by WCP; 01-25-2015 at 11:24 AM.