Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else just not interested in PS4 or X1?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

So far there are no exclusive games I want for either system. The only exception might be Killer Instinct for Xbox One, but I will NEVER buy an Xbox One. For this generation I'll stick with PC, maybe at some point get a Wii U, and hope that PS3 ports of current games are still made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I find myself surprised when I see someone only ok having the One given that MS has few exclusives that stay system bound, it's kind of in a way even more depressing than just buying a Nintendo system for just their games. When you throw in all the hell they caused in the run up with their DRM shenanigans, charging $100 more to start and other garbage I'm surprised they've moved as many as they have.

The thing is what's harming these systems is the asinine developers who dumb down with minimal improvement games for PS4 and the one, then have them also on the old established systems in very good shape with their massive bases of players. You do that, you have no motivation to bother upgrading at all.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I primarily got one so I could install the Homebrew Channel and let it be my emulation machine. I don't have many actual Wii games yet, but among the ones I do have, I'd recommend Sin And Punishment Star Successor and Mad World. If you remember Smash TV, Mad World is like Smash TV on steroids.
    I'll see what I do with it, I haven't even hooked it up to a TV to fully test it out yet. Got it cheap because it wouldn't power on, I got a new power adapter and it powers on fine. The main game I was interested in getting for the Wii only came out in Europe, it's like Nintendo just didn't want me to want their system. I never modded one before so I'll have to look into it, I just don't want to ruin it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I am not in a hurry to get a PS4 or XB1 anytime soon either. Right now I just think the price is still to high and not enough of a reason for me to pick either one of them up. I also am very happy right no with my Wii U, and 3DS. Plenty to keep me busy with what little extra time I do have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

if Bethesda announces Fallout 4, I imagine that game will get a bunch of people either to buy a gaming PC or one of these consoles. That game is going to be a big freaking deal... (at least I hope so.. I loved Fallout 3 )

Insert Coin (Level 0) wizardofwor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Larz 314
    PSN
    larz314

Exclamation

I like the XBox One.....I started on the 2600 and it seems to have the 'type' of game I want. It has a ways to go, but I haven't been disappointed.
    George Plimpton was right! But who the hell is George Plimpton???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
    I'm sure I'll buy both, but I'm guessing I'll be waiting a couple years for the libraries to bulk up and prices to come down.

In the mean time, looks like PS3 titles are getting cheap!
    There's no rush heck liked i said before the release have really trickle out,very slowly.I know i'm waiting on xenoblade chronicles x for the wii u.Though who knows how long it will take for xenoblade chroinicles-x to get localize.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 02-17-2015 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    if Bethesda announces Fallout 4, I imagine that game will get a bunch of people either to buy a gaming PC or one of these consoles. That game is going to be a big freaking deal... (at least I hope so.. I loved Fallout 3 )
    If Fallout 4 hits them, I'm a in! I love the Fallout franchise! I honestly have more time in F3 than any game ever.

And oddly enough, as much of an Cbox guy as I was last gen, I'm leaning slightly towards a PS4 first.

I'll eventually buy both, I always do. There just isn't a reason I can see right now. I'm just surprised because usually I'm chomping at the bit for new consoles.

We did buy a WiiU. We waited for the Zelda edition. It was actually a gift for my wife who's a huge Zelda fan. I love that system, but it's Nintendo, and they're in their own category. I wasn't a major fan of the Wii, even though it has some stellar titles. The WiiU just feels like what the Wii should have been to me. I'm not all about the motion control business. Too lazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My 8 year old PC runs games and looks better than PS4/X1, so it would purely be for exclusives which is why I have a WiiU as there are no exclusives I desire on either other console other than possibly Killer Instinct or the upcoming Quantum Break but that's gonna be on PC also, so yeah, no interest.

Also have to say the WiiU gamepad is a perfect PC companion as I can game on the PC and use the gamepad to surf gamefaqs/internet or watch Twitch, sure I could use a laptop or tablet but it's just an added benefit to consider and has a nice charge stand and really helps with watching Netflix bedside.

Add to that streaming games to the WiiU gamepad while chillaxing in different areas of the house which adds gaming flexibility and you can start to see why it's a bit more next level. Really enjoy taking Hyrule Warriors to the toilet with me, though I hope I never drop it in, and hygiene, hygiene is important, so need lots of anti-bacterial soap.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 02-14-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a PS4 a few months ago only because I bought it off a friend who won it in a golf tournament for $350 lol. I wouldn't pay $450-500 for one in a store yet, as there's just not enough AAA games that interest me yet. The PS4 will be worth owning by the fall though, Metal Gear Solid 5, Uncharted 4, and Bloodborne, will be out amongst other big games. There might even be a good price drop by then? I don't really have an opinion on the Xbox One as I've never really been an Xbox fan. If you enjoyed your 360 though, I would imagine the Xbox One will be worth your while at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Neither of them, hell any of the 3 new consoles out now are worth the asking price. All of them have failings that would make one want to hold out unless the asking price is chump change or they get a hell of a deal on it. PS4 has future promise, but what's there now is nothing unique worth getting much at all. MS had (not now) the higher price and even less unique for it, and the unique game Titanfall got a superior PC version which made it irrelevant. Then you have the WiiU which got abandoned by third parties so you buy it for their games or basically nothing.

I had a WiiU, probably won't again unless magic happens and it gets good all around support. PS4 I have, but only because I got it after some twists and turns for $200. As it is the (new)3DS and PC are all that mainly drives my gaming at this rate. I will be gifted FF Type0 shortly so that PS4 will be fired up again in a month for something other than movies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither one at the moment, but I always wait a while for the next gen anyway. Even though I always want to get a system on launch day, I always stop myself because I realize there aren't enough games I want for it to justify the price tag.

Though I'll probably eventually go with a PS4, mainly because I tend to like PS exclusives better than Xbox ones.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I will be skipping PS4 and XB1.

I already have a huge backlog of games as is, and I haven't even begun on PS2, PS3, Xbox, and XB360. And I have a lot of catching-up to do with GameCube and Dreamcast.

Plus I H-A-T-E the evil, hardware-based and software-based DRM of the latest game consoles and their frequent firmware updates. These updates can radically worsen the user interface and remove features or delete content. No thanks. I prefer "finished" consoles like the Wii and PSP where there are no more firmware updates (or even better, older hardware which never had to deal with the things). What is "pried open" by the homebrew community will stay available on these older consoles, unlike the "living" consoles where things like that can be zapped remotely on a whim or during an update.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The problem with the whole HD gen of consoles is the fact they decided to take advantage of internal storage and the internet to basically make a closed (other than HDD swap out) PC setup of a console basically with all the downers that come with it, and then some. The negatives with owning a PC for gaming is that for years some companies would rush a game out it wouldn't be done due to deadlines or poor testing and you'd get patches. Sometimes they were a few MB, others they'd be 100s of them or even over 1GB in size which is ridiculous but it was expected and being that it's a PC you're not stuck waiting.

On the console it's far worse. They're a closed box with security issues since hackers try and get their warez or other kicks out of it, so you have this endless stream of firmware updates with justifiable additions which sometimes add great new stuff, but often it's under the hood patches/fixes and when that whole update runs you're locked out of the system. Then you magnify that complaint with all the unfinished games which seems to be MOST console games these days where it's patch after patch at times and you're just stuck waiting for it to download (slowly) then patch and wait some more. They're basically taking what the PC did but making you sit and wait with nothing to do while it does this garbage and it happens often, too often. Nintendo has some blame to share a little too even on the handheld side as does Sony, but the updates there seem far fewer and small in size so it's not much of a deal, and thankfully I rarely have had to run a game update on either the 3DS or the Vita when I had it, and those were quick too because it appears at least on handhelds people try and bug test the stuff completely before release probably due to the lack of mass storage. It's easier not to give a damn about your customer with patches when you have 500GB or whatever in storage, but a handheld will have a few GB or whatever so they kind of have to care a bit more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Wii U cause they have some killer exclusives. I got my next gen systems cause none of my friends are on PC. They have exclusives as well but "AAA" gaming is less and less for me as the days go by.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Completely and utterly not interested. They're expensive like the last new launch go around and this time there's practically nothing worth playing. Neither the PS4 or X1 interests me in any way, I feel like the game industry is going somewhere my preferences and tastes won't let me go. There's more stuff worth playing on obsolete consoles now anyway.

The one exception is the Wii U, at the very least, Nintendo's games are still worth playing. The 3DS is also very good. These days it feels like only Nintendo still makes just video game consoles. Sony and Microsoft sell what are essentially full realized Phillips CD-i consoles. You know, multimedia boxes. That impossible dream of the 90s is perfected on the PS4/X1 today (also on the PS3/360).

Come join us on Micro-64

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I was waiting on the PS4 but they just announced Dragon Quest Heroes for a US release. So I'm looking at picking up the console around the Holidays. Hopefully I can hit a good sale on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good point about Nintendo systems. Nintendo staunchly will flip the bird to going media box and still just makes hardware to push games and games alone. That in itself is commendable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Sony and Microsoft sell what are essentially full realized Phillips CD-i consoles. You know, multimedia boxes. That impossible dream of the 90s is perfected on the PS4/X1 today (also on the PS3/360).
    Welcome to evolution. You may have also noticed that your phone is no longer just for making calls and some television's can do alittle more than show you the latest episode of Arrow. I understand what you're saying about the Wii U focusing on strictly gaming more than Microsoft or Sony but the fact that the Wii U has sold the least amount of systems(despite releasing a full year ahead of the other two systems) lends some credit to the argument that the majority of consumers want their consoles to do more than just play video games. And speaking for myself theres not a day that goes by when I'm on my 360 or Xbox One where atleast a third of my friends online are in some kind of non-gaming app such as Netflix or Hula. But if your needs are strictly gaming than yes I'd recommend a 3DS or Wii U if you're ok with mostly Nintendo first party games and very little third party major releases.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Welcome to evolution. You may have also noticed that your phone is no longer just for making calls and some television's can do alittle more than show you the latest episode of Arrow. I understand what you're saying about the Wii U focusing on strictly gaming more than Microsoft or Sony but the fact that the Wii U has sold the least amount of systems(despite releasing a full year ahead of the other two systems) lends some credit to the argument that the majority of consumers want their consoles to do more than just play video games. And speaking for myself theres not a day that goes by when I'm on my 360 or Xbox One where atleast a third of my friends online are in some kind of non-gaming app such as Netflix or Hula. But if your needs are strictly gaming than yes I'd recommend a 3DS or Wii U if you're ok with mostly Nintendo first party games and very little third party major releases.
    You would have a point if I wanted all those things, which I don't. There's next to nothing on TV currently airing that appeals to me. If I want to watch a movie, I'll just do it at a desktop or laptop PC, or I can also connect the laptop to a TV. I don't like my video game consoles being multimedia boxes, all they do is remind me of the terrible direction gaming is going. Everyone, consumers and the industry, take video games for granted. Apparently games aren't good enough to stand alone, so they have to be bundled with movies, TV, music and all other kinds of media to be marketable. That does not appeal to me, thus I am not a consumer of those products. The fact that the PS4 and X1 have sold more units than the older Wii U says that most people only see video games as a casual interest. Those people are really buying a PS4 or X1 to watch movies or TV shows on, with the occasional Call of Duty or Madden game. That's not really comparable to a dedicated game console.

I will say that over the years, the 360 has had a great selection of couch co-op and local multiplayer games. Not a fan of online gaming. I think my favorite Xbox is the first one though, it had several classics that worked better than on the sluggish PS2.
    Last edited by Guntz; 02-26-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Come join us on Micro-64