Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else just not interested in PS4 or X1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    You would have a point if I wanted all those things, which I don't. There's next to nothing on TV currently airing that appeals to me.
    This is why I said it appears thats what "most consumers" want, not specifically you.

Everyone, consumers and the industry, take video games for granted. Apparently games aren't good enough to stand alone, so they have to be bundled with movies, TV, music and all other kinds of media to be marketable.
    I think it has more to do with the fact that as we get older we have less time to enjoy entertainment in comparison to when we were younger. So being able to have multiple forms of entertainment in one box(gaming, tv, music, internet, etc.) is more of a great convience instead of having to use four or more different devices for all those different forms of entertainment. But if it's not your thing then it's not your thing.

The fact that the PS4 and X1 have sold more units than the older Wii U says that most people only see video games as a casual interest. Those people are really buying a PS4 or X1 to watch movies or TV shows on, with the occasional Call of Duty or Madden game. That's not really comparable to a dedicated game console.
    My previous answer already touched on this but it's also probably because the XBO and PS4 simply do more than the Wii U does with the built in bluray players being another example. But even when you are talking about strictly gaming, if you throw out all of Microsoft's, Sony's and Nintendo's first party exclusives you are still left with alot of third party games(COD, Battlefield, UFC, Destiny, Batman: Arkham Knight, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, the next Elderscrolls, next Fallout and dozens more) that the Wii U will never see releases for. Some people complain about the Wii U sucks for whatever reasons but it basically just doesn't do as much as the other systems do. But as you already said, you could care less about the multimedia features, which is why I recommended the 3DS(which I own) or Wii U because you seem to be a big fan of Nintendo's first party games. So you should be ok with either system.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 02-26-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    But if your needs are strictly gaming than yes I'd recommend a 3DS or Wii U if you're ok with mostly Nintendo first party games and very little third party major releases.
    You know that's not entirely fair considering you just pointed out a 1/3 of the time or more those you find online with your friends lists on other systems are just using netflix, hulu, etc or some browsing service. The WiiU and 3DS have those, and I'd argue in better form too, at least Netflix and stuff on WiiU since it'll cast half the junk to the touch panel on the big controller which makes things a hell of a lot more convenient than popping up a menu or remembering button commands. The failing on the WiiU end of it is that they went with a blu-ray style disc, but they again like the Wii didn't want to pay for the branding or licensing files to allow the movie discs to run to cut costs and that's the problem, you can't do movies. I'll straight up admit now if that WiiU would have run DVDs and BluRays I would have kept it because just how damn nicely it handled the likes of Netflix and the rest. The fact I could have taken it a step further and put a movie in while the kid is on Disney Junior I could pop it on my desk with the stand and watch a movie or tv series disc would have been an instant keeper for me. Nintendo and their infinite cheapness and corner cutting be damned.

The 3DS though, you can't make that argument as it doesn't use discs, Vita doesn't either. Sony learned that didn't work so well with their UMDs. THat said if you want a solid gaming box that also runs movie services and a fairly solid speedy browser the beefed up New 3DS really does it well. In a way on that one you get the best of both worlds where it's a Nintendo box made for gaming, but it also has the streaming features you expect from a mobile device for movies and browsing with an HTML5 webkit browser and gets third party games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You know that's not entirely fair considering you just pointed out a 1/3 of the time or more those you find online with your friends lists on other systems are just using netflix, hulu, etc or some browsing service.
    How is telling the truth not fair? People on my friends list(myself as well) using non-gaming apps points to the example I was making that the majority of people I know that have an Xbox One or PS4(or 360 or PS3) use the system for more than just games because thats the way those systems were designed.

The WiiU and 3DS have those
    Yes but apparently you missed the main focal point of his post. He doesn't care about non-gaming applications or any of the things that make a console a media box, he just wants a console to play games. The Wii U and 3DS do have some non-gaming apps but they have far less on offer than the other four systems. And considering he prefers Nintendo games that should suit his needs just fine.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would also like to add that the XBONE and PS4 are also being used by the non gamers of households as well. It makes sense to have things that appeal to people outside of gaming. Most people do not live alone and having those extra services added in makes financial sense to Sony and Microsoft. It just means there is another revenue stream for them if someone wants their music or movie services. Sure I have Netflix on everything that has a screen but I would never see that as a negative aspect and it is one of the reasons why it is so popular. No matter what device you are using you have access to it and the interface is more or less the same across devices.

I am glad that my systems have more than one use. If I get tired of playing games I can immediately switch to watching a movie. There really isn't a negative to that.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Insert Coin (Level 0) FUZZY PICKLES!!!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Limelight788

I'm not interested in either the PS4 or Xbox One. This will almost certainly be the last generation of gaming I participate in and I can't see myself forking over money for a console this generation other than the Wii U (which I got back in December, 2013). There are a few games on the PS4 that I'm interested in, but none I feel would justify paying to invest in one.

I could go on a tangent about how much I despise what the video game industry has turned into and not feeling the slightest bit ashamed about it, but at this point what good is it going to do? Recently I've accepted that the modern video game industry doesn't want my money because my tastes in gaming doesn't fit with what's put on on the market. Even if it did, I still have hundreds of games from previous consoles that I want to get my hands on someday and a huge backlog that I want to work through. Both of these will easily take years, if not decades to complete and even if I actually do complete what I feel would be a satisfying collection of games to play through, that will probably be it for me and gaming. If it weren't for Smash 3DS/Wii U being a thing, I probably would have already finished my collection already and be merely be playing through them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I am glad that my systems have more than one use. If I get tired of playing games I can immediately switch to watching a movie. There really isn't a negative to that.
    Correct. If someone were planning on buying a system anyway then theres really nothing negative about having all those extra features regardless of if they use them or not. They just need to make sure the price is right for them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Not at this point in time. There's just no compelling reason for me to buy either. Same goes for the Wii U. I do like my Vita a lot, though, it's a nice follow-up to the PSP (although the Vita is in a pretty sorry state in the US; half of my Vita games are Japanese imports). I'm glad I have a 3DS too. I guess this is a repeat of the previous generation for me, when I was way more into the DS and PSP than any of the home consoles. As someone who prefers games developed in Japan and more traditional genres (as in, the kind of stuff that was popular in the 80s and 90s), seems like handhelds are the way to go for me.

Although I am getting more into PC games, which is a surprising twist for me. I thought I'd never get into PC gaming. I still hold that I don't particularly like to play games on a PC, but as I got more into visual novels, my hands were sort of tied. Either got to suck it up or not play at all. But it hasn't been too bad really. Steam is a heck of a lot better of a service than, say, PSN, and with the types of games I'm interested on PC, I don't have to worry about specs or setting up controls (visual novels obviously have low system requirements, and I don't have to do anything but click to progress through them). So some of my modern gaming is on that front. Like I'm really looking forward to playing Clannad when the localization of that is done (granted, the game itself is like a decade old, but this will be its first ever official English release).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm "somewhat" interested, but finances and the huge backlog of Xbox, PS2, and 360 titles are what is keeping me from justifying a purchase. I also picked up a Last of Us PS3 Bundle new for $179 last year, and am just starting to get into it, soooo...I think it will be quite a while.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not getting an Xbox 1 or PS4 either. That boils down to me just not being interested in the games. I have a gaming PC that I use as a console with Steam Big Picture, and like others said, Steam is a lot less bullshit than consoles. 90% of the stuff I'd want on X1 and PS4 come out on PC, and I can't justify spending that much just to play the other 10%, especially with what little interest I have in western titles.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

My main problem is that I bought a bunch of Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games that I haven't even played yet. And my excuse for not playing them was that I haven't finished my Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube and Xbox games. Well guess what? I still haven't finished all of those because I still haven't finished all of my Playstation, Nintendo 64 and Saturn games. Well guess what? I still haven't finished all of those because I haven't finished all of my Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games and I keep wanting to try out all those other odd and end systems of that era. Well guess what? I haven't finished all of those games either because I still haven't finished all of my NES and Sega Master System games... etc etc etc. Ugh. At least the era before NES doesn't have as many games you actually "finish." But with 5 generations of unfinished games and 6-7 generations of unfinished collections still growing slowly it makes it harder to jump into yet another one too except for when it comes to that must-have title which is a continuation of your favorite series or game style. Mario was enough to get me into 3DS and Wii U.

If Oddworld: New N' Tasty had been a physical release it might have talked me into getting a PS4 already because I love that game in its original form but because it is a digital download only and it was announced for PS3 I decided to just wait for the PS3 version and download it there. Maybe Final Fantasy XV will talk me into it when that game goes down in price as a used copy. I'll probably be buying games I want before I buy the systems to play them on this generation. I already bought the one Vita game I wanted near the beginning of the system's life yet don't have the system yet..
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I'm currently uninterested in these systems. Like a lot of people have said, there's not much of anything I want to play at all yet on Xbox One or PS4, and the kinds of games that have come out aren't even close to what I play. I hate all of the DRM and necessitating online connection for validation and such. I want to be able to play my games with or without servers, and I want them complete out of the box... and I want a physical copy in that box. I want games that are accessible without ridiculous tutorials that care less about how many hours long they are and more about just being a well-designed game to serve its creative purpose. Most of all, I want games that don't give a shit whether or not they're considered art, because they're confident that what they are is engaging, engrossing, and entertaining, and time will bear out that they were awesome.

I like a game like music. If it's short, sweet, and catchy, awesome. If it takes a little time to digest but really gets in your head, great.... I just want an honest game without pretense, and I get that more from older games.

All that said, if some good games come out that resonate with me like that, I'm sure I could be convinced to love these systems one day, but right now my calendar doesn't have "stop sucking day" circled on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

I guess, here is how I look at games today.

I like my RPG long, shooters short, everything else somewhere between.

6-8 hours is plenty for a COD single player, keeps the action moving and ends before it gets too repetitive. I don't even bother with multiplayer anymore.

On the flip side, I want hours and hours in a game like Fallout or Skyrim. I'm an absolute Fallout nut!

I don't need something to fit a mold just to call itself art. It's an arbitrary word. I want an engaging story, and an interesting game world. I want to be distracted from reality.

That said, if Fallout 4 is only on new Gen consoles, I'll have to buy one of them.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I was the same way had to have a 360 dropped $500 on one. Don't feel that way about either of the new consoles I'll hold out till they drop to low price points and have big libraries of cheap games. This is also largely because I work a lot and have very little spending money though