Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Console Wii U or 3DS XL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think you're alone. I also don't believe given the releases the 3DS is in any way a third party disappointment. I've got around 20 games retail for it and a little over half of them Nintendo didn't make so I have a nice spread. Currently slowly plodding away on Shin Megami Tensei IV at the moment after taking out Adventure Time.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For the question, I'd go with a New 3DS over a 3DS if you decide to get a 3DS, however, as a 3DS owner, I'd actually say go with the Wii U. I'll explain my reasoning behind this.

The 3DS is a good portable, but no where near the quality of the PSP or DS before it. The best games are Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate, Super Mario 3D Land, SMT4, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey series, Cave Story 3D(I'd assume based off playing Cave Story,) Shinobi, Theatrhythm Curtain Call(and this is only if you're an FF fan because it's really not that good,) Fire Emblem, and Fantasy Life. There may be some others, but most of what I've seen I'm either not interested in or a few which I could play on other consoles.

Now I don't own a Wii U, but first off, the controls. The 3DS as a controller is very poor. Even the far more comfortable XL just isn't the kind of controller that it's easy to play action heavy games, so playing Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 3D World, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, etc is going to be much more enjoyable than the 3DS equivalent. I played the demo of Super Smash Bros on the 3DS and then very recently played Super Smash Bros on the Wii U and the difference in control is like night and day, although to be fair, I was using a Gamecube controller.

The other thing is being a console, the Wii U has more potential when it comes to quality games just because of the different hardware. Xenoblade Chronicles X has four player co op with 32 player lobbies, pretty much White Knight Chronicles Online - Wii U version. Devil's Third, Splatoon, Toad's Treasure Tracker, Mario Maker, and then several games that have been released look like they'll be quality titles. The 3DS might have more quality software on it, but I think the difference in quality of the Wii U titles is what you should be looking at and the potential for future quality games.

If you're interested in RPGs only, then definitely get a 3DS, as other than Xenoblade Chronicles X, there's pretty much nothing on the Wii U, but if you want action games, platformers, etc, then the Wii U is a significantly better console.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone read about Gamestop putting up the MM New 3DS XL with Majoras Mask, a strategy guide, Monster Hunter and Smash Bros along with eight amiibos for $500. Suprisingly it sold out in a flash. Pretty good deal if you can muster all that at once. Oh well.