Thread: Ouya replacement incoming from Nvidia

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ouya replacement incoming from Nvidia

I know it is $199 instead of the bargain of the Ouya but the specs on it are pretty impressive and the controller is nothing to sneeze at either. Check out the article and let me know what you think. I have the Shield handheld and love it. It can run almost anything I throw at it. I just want to see how the Dolphin emulator runs on this new machine. I mean it does run Crysis 3 native. The big guys better watch out in a few years machines like this will be hot on there heels in graphics performance.

Nvidia needs someone new to make the names of their devices they are just as bad as Nintendo with this.

http://liliputing.com/2015/03/nvidia...y-for-199.html
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Geeze that thing is brutal consider it can run stuff like Crysis 3 and DOOM 3 BFG Ed natively and only at $200. It's like Nvidia is going the Nintendo route of sorts with the cheap price higher performance for the cap type style, except this being an all download box with the games being your usual dollar and up fair versus $20-60 from Nintendo (or the others.) Stuff like this is going to seriously sting eventually, even make Sony and MS slip into a niche style with their exclusive games and companies that will just hold out to make third party games still. A dedicated system like this could spell trouble, not for gamers, just the old guard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I've got a Shield Portable and it blows the 3DS/Vita out of the water in terms of what it can do- at $200 (which will probably become £200 by the time it hits the UK, but never mind) this thing is looking seriously tempting, especially as it's cheaper than the Shield Tablet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man that's tempting. My only real question would be about storage. Like, could you back up games you've downloaded onto an SD card so you don't have to redownload later? Cause 16 GB isn't that much anymore. Likewise, if I put videos from my computer on the SD card, could I then run them on the built-in media player or is it restricted to stuff that has DRM on it?

I don't know if they've thought of this, but it might help sales if they include a download code in the box for one free game of your choice from a predetermined list in lieu of an actual pack in.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

How is GRID, does it get the same selection of games as Steam?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I've got a Shield Portable and it blows the 3DS/Vita out of the water in terms of what it can do- at $200 (which will probably become £200 by the time it hits the UK, but never mind) this thing is looking seriously tempting, especially as it's cheaper than the Shield Tablet.
    So how does the Shield work, exactly? I know it's a streaming device, but does your PC have to be on in order to stream the games? Or does it actually have the games on board? Also, does it have to be online at all times to stream games?

I'd love to be able to play my PC games on the go, but when I looked into the Shield a while ago something about it sounded like it just wasn't for me

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    So how does the Shield work, exactly? I know it's a streaming device, but does your PC have to be on in order to stream the games? Or does it actually have the games on board? Also, does it have to be online at all times to stream games?

I'd love to be able to play my PC games on the go, but when I looked into the Shield a while ago something about it sounded like it just wasn't for me
    I only have the shield handheld. I wasn't interested in another tablet. Anyways to answer your question it works very well. Your PC has to be on for it to work. You can manually add games to stream as well. I had PCSX2 streaming from my PC and it was very smooth. You can stream from anywhere but it requires more setup and a good connection. I have 50 down and 12 up and it worked great for me. I have to say it is one of my favorite purchases in the past few years. Also you have to have an Nvidia card to stream obviously.

If you want to just test how game streaming works and you have a controller for your phone or tablet you can get a program call Limelight off of the Play store that is a reverse engineered version for free that works the same way.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...imelight&hl=en
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Thanks for the info!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    How is GRID, does it get the same selection of games as Steam?
    The selection is no where near steam. It worked perfectly fine when I played it last. I played Borderlands for about an hour with no issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's a very good point about the 16GB of storage, it sucks. I find that my iphone is always seemingly lower than I would like. The Nexus 7 I have has 32GB and it usually is half filled up between music and a dozen and change games on it. The problem is the better quality stuff, conversions especially like Soul Calibur will eat up like 1 1/2 GB of data, various other solid quality titles tend to fall into the .5-1.2GB in size I've noticed.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Under the hood, the Shield console sports Nvidia's Tegra X1 64-bit ARMv8-compatible processor and a 256-core Maxwell GPU with 3GB RAM. The box will ship with 16GB of on-board storage, a MicroSD slot, and support for external NTFS, FAT and exFAT USB hard drives, though the plan to rely largely on streaming services would seemingly negate the need for tons of local storage.

The console will connect via 802.11ac Wi-Fi or gigabit Ethernet, with video output able to reach 4K resolutions via HDMI 2.0. It also features two USB 3.0 inputs as well as one Micro-USB 2.0, Bluetooth and Logitech Harmony IR support for peripherals."

I think I will be fine for storage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Damn that's impressive, perfect if you could handle it like GoG.com and keep backup installs of all your favorite games. I'd seriously see no draw back to buying such a thing, unless they get into some e-peen contest and out date it every year with something faster so some games won't work on the older stuff pretty quick. That would be a concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Geeze that thing is brutal consider it can run stuff like Crysis 3 and DOOM 3 BFG Ed natively and only at $200. It's like Nvidia is going the Nintendo route of sorts with the cheap price higher performance for the cap type style, except this being an all download box with the games being your usual dollar and up fair versus $20-60 from Nintendo (or the others.) Stuff like this is going to seriously sting eventually, even make Sony and MS slip into a niche style with their exclusive games and companies that will just hold out to make third party games still. A dedicated system like this could spell trouble, not for gamers, just the old guard.
    I highly doubt that it can run Crysis 3 well, unless it has a console port version available. My i5-2500k (@4.7 Ghz) rig ran into problems with the Welcome to the Jungle level, even with a GTX 780. The game will run much better with an i7.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is not too bad but they said this is a test level on an early test build. I am impressed with what it it can do just by watching this. I may end up disappointed but this thing has me excited. I was just thinking about getting rid of a bunch of my consoles and this would fill that void nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFs8zxcShHQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    It is not too bad but they said this is a test level on an early test build. I am impressed with what it it can do just by watching this. I may end up disappointed but this thing has me excited. I was just thinking about getting rid of a bunch of my consoles and this would fill that void nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFs8zxcShHQ
    Yeah, that's a pretty dumbed down version of Crysis 3. None of the foliage has wind movement and is pretty much static.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, that's a pretty dumbed down version of Crysis 3. None of the foliage has wind movement and is pretty much static.
    Very true. They wouldn't even say when it would launch so it can't be that far along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm impressed also by the source port of DOOM3 that you use your own data files for. That should fly on that thing since it will work pretty well on 2013 era devices like my 2nd gen Nexus. I just don't like screwing with touch on a FPS game or I'd set it up as I own the game.

Kai -- no doubt! I got rid of the WiiU, technically my PS3 (no games, it's the main room movie box now for dvd/br/netflix/youtube), wii. I've just got the laptop, the ps4 and my 3ds and that's it.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thing if I remember to. Nvidia I'm liking after getting this laptop as the 980 in it is nuts. I think I'd get a kick out of a micro console on that level of quality since it does take expansion memory cards for more space or other drives. If that thing let me back my games up to load them later whenever I want without the bullshit hoops of PSN or NNID, or even the stapped on DRM of Steam I'd love it.

Maybe I missed it? Google Play, could I shove it on there and gain access to existing android games I own? I don't have a huge pile, but a good many do use a moga/hid controller so they should translate find since they're not just touch games.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 03-05-2015 at 10:48 AM.