Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most you've spent on an NES used game?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent $50 on Bible Buffet.... There's no defending that decision... But it's the most I ever spent on one NES gamd and I have about 212 NES games, I still collect them cuz they never get old to me and even the bad ones interest me. And all the other regular reasons ppl collect NES games. Aside from that tho and a few other stupid impulse buys I try not to spend more then $20 on a real big NES title like Zelda, Mega Man, Contra, etc. cuz $20 is worth the enjoyment and not too expensive like $50 for Turtles in Time or Castlevania 4. SNES prices r way steeper. I also prefer to collect hidden gems no one cares about, like Monster Party and Startropics, instead of the ones everyone now knows are good like Power Blade, Bucky Ohare, Felix the Cat, etc, which has to be why they're so expensive. NES is not an expensive system to collect for if u know wat ur looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm considering selling some of my games including my most expensive one Bonk. That over $300 price tag on it is very tempting because I'm waffling on maybe finding a way to fit a 2nd pinball table in here. :P I think it's a bit ballsy saying the system is not expensive to shop for if you know what to hunt down. What happens if you were in love in the day with a game that's now like $300-1000 because you probably have a 1:100 chance of finding a $10 Samson lying around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Power Blade is one that baffles me. It was next to worthless for many years even though the sequel had so much attention due to rarity/price. It only really started to get attention. Or perhaps demand is finally outweighing supply. Either way, I feel like it's finally where it should've been in relation to the rest of today's market. $30 isn't outrageous in 2015 for the quality of the game IMO.

I like to call it Taito fever, lol.

Tanooki, Bonk is okay, but I feel that one only really has rarity going for it. If it were of a higher quality (given the release year) I think it'd be nuttier priced. Of the higher end as far as price, I feel like it has the least going for it as a game and you could buy a superior version and the console it's on and still have a wad of money.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    Power Blade is one that baffles me. It was next to worthless for many years even though the sequel had so much attention due to rarity/price. It only really started to get attention. Or perhaps demand is finally outweighing supply. Either way, I feel like it's finally where it should've been in relation to the rest of today's market. $30 isn't outrageous in 2015 for the quality of the game IMO.

I like to call it Taito fever, lol.

Tanooki, Bonk is okay, but I feel that one only really has rarity going for it. If it were of a higher quality (given the release year) I think it'd be nuttier priced. Of the higher end as far as price, I feel like it has the least going for it as a game and you could buy a superior version and the console it's on and still have a wad of money.
    Power Blade 2 is a really rare nes game, its up there for sure. Its rarer than Bubble Bobble 2 or Bonks Adventure.
    Bonks is really rare also, I agree the TG16 version is just better but the nes one is a rare cart. People arent buying it because its a stellar game. personally I think its really fun, but it is very very easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Power Blade was a $5-8 game for the longest stretch. It was like what now maybe 2 years ago when it finally shot up to then $15...20...$30+? It is the Taito effect, and all the games around the SNES and after period are finally getting kicked in the pants by association. Kickmaster isn't really phenomenal (had it twice in the last few years) and it was patently ignored like Power Blade, but it's not an $8 game now either, yet it isn't going up there like with the Jetsons which isn't all that good of a game either.

Now Bonk, it's good, it's just compared to the TG16 game and makes it come off as terrible which is understandable. I find though given what it costs to buy a TG16 and Bonk these days, let alone buy that system and have even a small respectable library is a flaming ripoff so it's even at $350~ for the NES game a lesser of two evils which is sick. Personally I've had both, I like both, so I really don't care. The NES game just has some audio/visuals and some stage bits stripped from it which was kind of stupid/lazy (area removal) but it's fun and I can finish it which is nice.

I have to really put some thought into this. The fact is I'd like another pinball, down side is I have no room for another full size or even a 2/3. I have been waffling for a long stretch but I really need to get back my dad's old TOMY Astro Shooter pinball which is a tabletop one with some motors and rubbers in it, it's very well made, much like an EM table and it got wrecked in one of my many moves. They stunningly have gone up in price, they're like $100 complete/boxed, so maybe just that, but if i do that I really don't need to sell off Bonk or the rest and can just sit on them. I think the only way another PIN will fit in here is when my kid gets old enough that I can move her little easel, toy kitchen, toy box and the rest out of here and into her room when she's mature enough to not play with her crap when it's bed time. I have this nice big corner on the back side of this room one would fit into.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm considering selling some of my games including my most expensive one Bonk. That over $300 price tag on it is very tempting because I'm waffling on maybe finding a way to fit a 2nd pinball table in here. :P I think it's a bit ballsy saying the system is not expensive to shop for if you know what to hunt down. What happens if you were in love in the day with a game that's now like $300-1000 because you probably have a 1:100 chance of finding a $10 Samson lying around.
    Well, I think there's lotsa hidden gems on the NES that are still very cheap, and just some well known games that are cheap, too. I spent about $30 for my copy of Contra, but I play the crap out of it, and have finished it multiple times. Ninja Gaiden is an $8 game, there's some great RPGs like Startropics and Faxanadu no one cares about, Blaster Master is cheap, Life Force, Gradius, Mighty Bomb Jack, Xexyz, Monster Party, Smash TV, all less then $10 each. NES Open Tournament Golf is def one of the best NES sports games cuz it has a battery pack and stars Mario and Luigi. $5 game. Much cheaper then Mario Golf on N64. Then there's the puzzle games like Yoshi, Dr. Mario, Klax, Tetris, Palamedes, all under $10, Arkanoid isn't too crazy, Double Dragon isn't that pricy, either. I could go on and on.

I know there's some ridiculous prices, prolly the most ridiculous prices are for rare NES games of any system, and I'd love to own some of them, but there's just such a huge library there's still plenty to dig into on a budget. Game quality is higher here then on Atari, so you'll find more games that aren't crap, even tho there's enough Xenophobes and Color A Dinosaurs too. It's just such a big library with something for every gamer and collector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm... I don't have any NES games I spent a lot for. The most I've spent is $16 for a cart+box (no manual) copy of Metal Storm, back in 2010; since the price of that game has spiked WAY high, so I'm glad I got it then! Even then it was a good deal, but now that'd be worth well over $100 I'm sure.

After that, the next most expensive NES games I have are Faria (cart only) and The Magic of Scheherazade (complete) for $15 each back in 2010 and 2011, but both were in buy-2-get-1 deals, so they weren't exactly $15.

Everything else I have for the NES (182 games, some of them Japanese imports) was cheaper. (There were a few lots I got from Japan for over $15, such as a 6-game lot for probably about $40 including shipping, but the per-game average there is lower than the total of course.)
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-01-2015 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

$80.00+ for the famicom version of little samson,cart only.There's no way in hell id pay for what the nes version go's for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Hmm... I don't have any NES games I spent a lot for. The most I've spent is $16 for a cart+box (no manual) copy of Metal Storm, back in 2010; since the price of that game has spiked WAY high, so I'm glad I got it then! Even then it was a good deal, but now that'd be worth well over $100 I'm sure.
    You're right, I just sold a cart only copy of the game for $117 free shipping on ebay on the 15th. I started it lower but it out of habit I put the 30% over value BIN on there and someone surprised me and paid it. I felt it was a bit much, so I was nice and upgraded it to 2 day priority in a box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You're right, I just sold a cart only copy of the game for $117 free shipping on ebay on the 15th. I started it lower but it out of habit I put the 30% over value BIN on there and someone surprised me and paid it. I felt it was a bit much, so I was nice and upgraded it to 2 day priority in a box.
    Checking ebay, I see Metal Storm with box+cart (no manual) selling for $150, or a bit more if I had the manual. It's kind of crazy how much NES game prices have gone up.

I don't have most of the valuable NES games (nothing Taito other than the first Bubble Bobble, for instance), but I do have that one... and Bucky O'Hare, I guess; I had no idea that game had gotten somewhat valuable! I got a loose copy of that back in '08 or '09 for fairly cheap (probably $5 or $8 at most, I'd guess). It is a pretty good game, and from Konami, but it's worth $60+, really? Huh. Checking ebay now, looks like cart-only copies sell for $45 and up. Price inflation at work...

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The most I spent was $500 on Flintstones 2 and that was around the time it hit $700-$800 cart only. I took a gamble and hit a Buy It Now from Brazil I think and it worked out. There is a lot of people complaining about prices on here, and I get it, but its not 2009 anymore, hell its not 2011 anymore when I acquired most of my stuff. Its become an expensive hobby, but compared to other hobbies Ive had/have its cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The complaining is fair since I think enough of the people here are in their 30s+ and didn't jump in when all the scalpers decided to raise hell. You can't do much other than complain or walk away and I think enough people even if they're very fed up are still into the games so it just sucks. I mean I don't intend to ever call it 100% quits, but I'm near that. I am beyond being taken advantage of and seeing things just get more ugly by the season. I've cashed out a good bit, and I went and invested in a pinball table of all things last month. I've put some work on rehabbing it to a point, and I have a kit of goodies out in the USPS truck at the moment where I can do far more. I've got a missing rubber ring, some replacement divider plastics, a novus1->3+rag kit, and stuff on my to do list today as much as I can. After that not sure, there's plenty of mylar on there I don't intend to remove out of fear, but the exposed areas probably could use a waxing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over $100.00 for Mega Man 5...

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

prices for many truly rare nes carts, especially complete in box, are not really unreasonable considering how old they are and how many people are collecting them. If you are a collector and you want original rare nintendo games then its gonna cost some money. I think the price on little samson is extremely high considering its not as rare as some of the other taito games.
    Almost every nes game can be played on a powerpak, so there is no real need to drop over 100$ on a nes cart just to play it.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think the lesson to take away from this kind of pricing is that if you really want to collect or buy a lot of games to play, be patient and stay ahead of the curve. If you weren't buying NES, SNES, Neo Geo, and Turbografx a few years ago, you're just stuck with this inflation unless you wait and hope to run into a good deal, and in the meantime buy stuff you want to play that's not in a frenzy at the moment. For me, in the last year I've really dialed in on import PS1, Saturn, Famicom, and Super Famicom 2D odditites and puzzle games. There are fantastic games that can be had for a pittance and are often entirely in English, Such as Mario's Super Picross, Mario & Wario, Popoitto Hebereke, Meta-Ph-List, Plue no Daibouken, etc. that I've picked up for $3-5 each on ebay, because they aren't what's big right now. Buying Dreamcast, Genesis, PS1, and PS2 games is extremely cheap and easy right now with only a few expensive exceptions, so just grabbing up those great games you want there while they're cheap and keeping your eyes open for a good deal on those expensive Little Samsons or Haganes will keep you loaded down with awesome stuff to play without making your wallet bleed, and if/when people start jumping in on those systems, you'll be the one out in front with the story on how you paid $4 for that $100 game some YouTube channel dug out and generated some buzz about.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-01-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's the word and bird's the word.

When I got fed up with the NES/SNES abuse I went to Famicom/GBA stuff instead. I keep thinking about SFC but I haven't pulled the trigger to get that stuff back, not sure why, probably just demotivated and rather just mess with what I have old and new. Yet since I got my pinball a few weeks back I haven't touched a damn thing, laptop games included, just it and my kindle. I intend to break out of that once Xenoblade pops up, but I really shouldn't shrug off the two I was working. :\

The problem is staying ahead of the curve is the curve bends and bends randomly...you never know when you'll get baked, and if you get hooked you'll end up hitting that wall yet again repeating the pain until you run out of stuff you want to bother with. That's what went on with me...NES, that got ugly, got SNES, that got ugly, did some N64 and it went up (nothing like the others), then Gamecube. At that point I was F-it, did the Famicom/GBA thing, then saved into the laptop for 6mo, and now pinball and Lego. Video gaming has become a pricy headache. I haven't stopped, but unless I really really want to play it, forget it unless it's a flip.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I think the lesson to take away from this kind of pricing is that if you really want to collect or buy a lot of games to play, be patient and stay ahead of the curve. If you weren't buying NES, SNES, Neo Geo, and Turbografx a few years ago, you're just stuck with this inflation unless you wait and hope to run into a good deal, and in the meantime buy stuff you want to play that's not in a frenzy at the moment. For me, in the last year I've really dialed in on import PS1, Saturn, Famicom, and Super Famicom 2D odditites and puzzle games. There are fantastic games that can be had for a pittance and are often entirely in English, Such as Mario's Super Picross, Mario & Wario, Popoitto Hebereke, Meta-Ph-List, Plue no Daibouken, etc. that I've picked up for $3-5 each on ebay, because they aren't what's big right now. Buying Dreamcast, Genesis, PS1, and PS2 games is extremely cheap and easy right now with only a few expensive exceptions, so just grabbing up those great games you want there while they're cheap and keeping your eyes open for a good deal on those expensive Little Samsons or Haganes will keep you loaded down with awesome stuff to play without making your wallet bleed, and if/when people start jumping in on those systems, you'll be the one out in front with the story on how you paid $4 for that $100 game some YouTube channel dug out and generated some buzz about.
    I agree. I will sometimes pay EBay prices for a game I really want to play, if I feel the price is worth it, like $20 for Mega Man 2 is not a terrible price. Cuz you'll get lots of enjoyment from it. But I basically inherit 6th gen games from ppl for free it's ridiculous. A little side goal for collecting I have is to get every original Xbox exclusive. I also find ps2 games everywhere. Thrift stores are generally good for these games. And once in a while u do find those fantastic deals, I was in a Goodwill just a few days ago and found a copy of Twilight Princess, the GameCube version, complete for $6, and that one sells for $45 loose on Amazon, so there are deals out there. I only say that so ppl looking for good deals don't get discouraged. They're out there. I also think u hafta compromise sometimes and go for the 'fair' deal as opposed to just expecting the $2 Stadium Events all the time.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Couple bucks. My copy of Mario 3 was around $3 at the flea market a number of years ago. NES games are always more expensive than I think they should be, so I pretty much never buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

$40 for Tengen Tetris, why? Because it was there and opportunity knocked, so I answered for a stiff fee. Plus it was a local buy.