Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the most you spent on a SNES game?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

About Hagane, a few years ago, I bought a SFC cart from rakuten. The seller I bought from was offering it loose for $10 or CIB for $30, I recall. Within only a month or two I recall ebay prices had already hit like $90 for the SFC cart loose. Insane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah it's nuts the spikes that hit due to attention. It was about that same time frame when I paid $50 each for Wild Guns and EVO for SNES, then look where they were in March or June of 2013 compared to December 2012, and look at now too.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

yea it is. I think it was just in how it was printed.

My copy of megaman x3 was a previous rental copy. I picked it up for $15 complete-ish. the manual was all jacked and layed with that self laminating stuff on the outside since it was a rental, it was surprising that Hollywood video kept their boxes to their games for when they sold them. this was back in the late 90's...

I've noticed that some snes games were printed with a label that have a shiny layer over the top of everything and that keeps the ink from rubbing off like on the X3 games, I have only seen X3 games with out the shiny layer on the label. X2 I have only seen with shiny labels and X came both ways, one label version had muted colors and the other was much more bright. almost as if the muted color one was a hastily redone second run

dude what is up with the value of metal warriors? that's like a $5 game....

FECK I haven't been buying them because I already had a copy!
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 03-19-2015 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nintendo for the NES, pre-Super GB Gameboy, and SNES up to around 1994~ used a plastic laminate coating over the top of their standard glossy label, and even then the ink under it was a sturdier thicker type. I'm sure you've seen some older NES games where the label peels up or you clean it and some crap gets under the plastic and it looks like it's stained but when it dries it's fine. That's what's going on there. When the dropped the outer layer they also went with a less hearty ink and simple human oily finger contact and water if left on it will alone jack the things up. It was most stupid on gameboy since it was nearly unavoidable to drag a finger over the label pulling it in and out of the system.

I agree with you on Metal Warriors. I've had it twice in the last 5 years. The first time I got it, it was pretty cheap, second time I bagged it was like 90 in trade credit at a local shop with a partly fubar label on lower face of it. IN both cases I tried hard to like it, but the stage design around 4-5 stages in just flat out sucks, it's a real trial of patience and tolerance due to the weird layout and less than fluid control of the game. I think it gets love because it's unique, it's Lucasgames, and it has nice production values, plus it got talked up more (far more) than deserved. At least when I got rid of them one was a trade for a game I really did appreciate the first time, sold the second to break even as I just didn't care. :P

I'm strongly considering selling some more of high tier NES/SNES games at this rate. I'm not sure I want to, but I so rarely go back to them they're mostly kept because I fear the price sucking even harder and me maybe wanting to play them again (eyes Bonk, Wild Guns, etc.) No this isn't carrot dangling for offers so if I do this site gets first crack before ebay.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    X came both ways, one label version had muted colors and the other was much more bright. almost as if the muted color one was a hastily redone second run
    X1 got reprinted by Majesco (Majesco reprints were most distinctive for their B&W manuals), that's possibly it.
    (what I'm less certain in distinguishing a Majesco cart is having a molded warning label on the back vs. a sticker warning label)
    The only sure way to tell a Majesco print is to open it and check the PCB.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I paid dra600n $150 for his Earthbound, cart only. But considering the games I flipped to buy it I don't consider it an expensive purchase.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Yeah and look at Hagane now. It was 100-150 as you said circa 2010-2011... but I heard a copy recently fetched $500? Cart only? If true, that's just nuts.
    Actually even more recently a cart only copy sold at open auction for $783.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121586351567

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't think I've ever paid more than 50 bucks for an SNES game, and that was back during it's generation.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

its a rare game, the super famicom version isnt nearly as rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

$160 for X3, $150 for CIB mint Super Mario RPG.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think my most is $55 for Chrono Trigger though I traded some dupes to cover $45 of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That was a smart move on the trades. When I posted I was going straight cash. If I were going into the realm of trade work to not take the dollar hit, my worst I capped myself at was $300 shipped on Bonk for NES to correct a screw up in selling the first one I had a few years earlier when $75 was good for it to a friend when it was normally $100~. Second to that was trading a climber g&w and 6 pal SMS games for Bomberman 2 and Bubble Bobble 2 and while that seems like a lot for 2 games I didn't have as much into those...maybe $200~.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I could probably save a lot by trading or selling duplicates, but I always give them away. My brother and a couple of friends are great people and love games, but don't always have a lot of money, so I tend to give away duplicates from lots to make them happy. Most of my duplicates these days are imports anyway, so it's probably not so big a loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Like what, famicom and superfamicom stuff or all sorts of things?

One thing I keep telling myself I'll do again is go after Super Famicom games, but when I can't even find time to play what I have I just don't bother. I wouldn't turn one down if I found it local(hah) or online super cheap if it was a game I once had I'd take another crack at. Thankfully much of the famicom/super famicom stuff has dodged the US Nintendo abuse swing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It's predominantly Famicom, Super Famicom, and PC Engine that I buy in lots, but I do on occasion go for PS1 and Saturn, though those tend to be easier to pick and choose what I'm getting. There is a massive amount of poorly documented stuff on those systems, so I like to dig deep and see what comes up. Most of the duplicates tend to be loose carts and HuCards, though. Like, this last week I got in spare Japanese copies of Super Mario All-Stars, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, and Final Fantasy VI for SFC and Romancia and Famicom Jump for Famicom in a big lot of 17 games I won for about $40 shipped because there were two games that would have cost me at least that much, so the rest was bonus. I usually just try to find a good home where they will be played and not resold, and about 90% of the time it ends up being my brother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's cool. The stuff I had when I had SFC was Konami shooters we didn't get (2xtwinbee, 2xparodius), twinbee rainbow bell, the 2 sailor moon brawlers, goemon 2, macross zenki platformer, tekkaman blade, lupin, and others, but nothing exotic. I guess that's partly why I just am not all that caring to start because they're easily had and a few I had I liked are just BS now like Spriggan Powered and I'm not going down that road as like 90% of it was complete in the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, I have a lot of that stuff, but I also go for stuff that's really obscure or that is from a franchise that wasn't big here. I really go after Kunio-kun games, beat 'em ups, platformers and shooters, but lately I've gone after a lot of puzzle or oddball action, like Nazo Makaimura, Odo Odo Oddity, Hebereke games, and other strange like Noon and Time Bokan Go Go Go. I've gotten a ton of bang for my buck by doing a little research and taking chances on cheap games that have very little documentation online. Last year I started posting a little in Import Mania about the stuff I've been digging out over the years, as there is still a pretty wild frontier out there for people willing to take some chances, but I know that kind of untargeted shopping isn't for everyone, which is why I try to share what I find for anyone interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have to admit I spent $100 for a cart and manual of Chrono Trigger. I had paypal money so it felt "free."

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
    Run Saber is such a bad game, a choppy Strider knock off, really.
    Ouch, I think you needed a better friend to play with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Paypal monies make many things feel better when the dough came from other junk games you had no interest in anyway anymore because the cash is just there and it's not out of your actual budget. I'd never have justified anything I put more than $50 forward on if it wasn't for that and I'd still now have various things on the shelf still due to that.