Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With the announcement of the NX, Nintendo admits defeat with the Wii U

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

In an interview with Nikkei, Iwata briefly mentioned the hardware, saying he wouldn't go into particulars about the NX. "However, if you only expand upon existing hardware, it's dull," Iwata said. "In some shape or form, we're always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person's video gaming life."
    http://kotaku.com/what-to-expect-nin...rob-1693052456

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know, they're stubborn. If I'm wrong about them joining handheld and console to save them money and have a viable stand alone product I can see them being jerky once more despite the failures of the WiiU. They'll look back to the Wii and go, damn man, how can I repeat that! Easy...rip off oculus rift and Sony's version of it coming for the PS4. Design a console entirely around the goggle, make a real '3D' experience but yet again, do it on the cheap keeping prices down while sacrificing quality elsewhere. If you could see them shove out a 'cheap' $300 VR headset system that could interestingly do it as that could drag people who are anywhere age wise, or even the fairly immobile/disabled could get new life out of such a headset to game with. I know what I'd like to see, and since then I've seen media pull up the argument too as it's a smart obvious choice, but somehow deep down I don't think Nintendo has still learned their lesson yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

I don't know about you guys, but I've been looking forward to the Wii U lifecycle end so I can pick one up at a discount and have a huge library backlog available.

As for the announcement, I would love it if Nintendo put their franchises on the PC or mobile (iPad, iPhone, Galaxy, etc) platform. Would actually give me a reason to play games other than Hearthstone on my iPad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hate to admit it, but considering how Nintendo can so max out a lot of quality from lesser hardware, reading what you just wrote I think I'd actually love it if they only made games for the PC, never for their console competition. They could still have vast control since they get contracts with nvidia, etc for things, they could work with chipset makers to really get what they want, and because of the open architecture of the PC they could still release all the janky controllers and accessories they want to jack in through a USB connector and they'd have even a wider array of sales since people could apply them as a most desired controller for other games they don't make. Since they pull off so much within their limits, taking that to the PC, they could do amazing work that works 100% on hardware that's even a few years old and amaze people giving a fat audience not restricted to high end re-run PC buyers after power. Imagine the WiiU library on the PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I've been looking forward to the Wii U lifecycle end so I can pick one up at a discount and have a huge library backlog available.
    With their pricing strategy, I don't think you're doing yourself many favors by waiting, if you're hoping for a lot of deals on 1st party releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Normally he would be doing himself a big one because the after market prices on Nintendo games drop a lot historically as time goes on. Problem is now Nintendo isn't printing games as heavily because they want to encourage their always full priced never discounted download eshop copies. With that, they run out of new physical games, won't make more, or make them at a slow trickle, and then you end up seeing stuff used going higher than the new retail price. I know I've seen some grumbling about Pikmin 3 which really isn't all that old. By waiting on WiiU games from Nintendo you're basically asking to pay more for a used copy then than for a new one now. It's sickening, but you're better off buying them now with random retail sales than getting screwed later when you have the hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When did Nintendo games not do a decent job of holding their value?

Other than when there were actually decently priced reprints, it's always been pretty hit or miss playing the waiting game, unlike for most other videogames.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They don't bottom out hard, but they do fall off because they're very mass produced so the open non gamestop resale market usually has a nice lower price before things just got stupid in the last few years and affected everything. Like a year ago or so you could for instance get Luigis Mansion for the GC for like under $10, it's definitely not that way now. I'm just saying that Wii games that went down to like the $10 level like Mario Galaxy did for a time isn't likely to happen on WiiU because of their eshop emphasis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some, just as there will be Wii U examples that will be economical as well. Others never get particularly cheap or start getting expensive even when that system was still mainstream. Much of the 1st party GCN library is an example of what we're complaining about the Wii U today for.

The Pikmin 3 phenomenon isn't even new to that franchise for instance. All four previous releases started to escalate while most go for MSRP or well above after just a relatively short time on the marketplace. About the best you can do these days with this series is the original GCN edition of Pikmin for about $30 for a complete copy.

If you're lucky, you could score all three for $100, which is on the very high end for used software that in some cases dates to well over a decade ago. Never enough Pikmin to go around it seems, either in the games themselves, or in the real-world.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-24-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just hope a Wii U emulator comes out. The hardware isn't that crazy powerful and they already have a basic PS3 emulator going. That is what I will wait for. I am tired of waiting on Nintendo to figure out what they are going to do. You don't need a revolution every single time.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    With their pricing strategy, I don't think you're doing yourself many favors by waiting, if you're hoping for a lot of deals on 1st party releases.
    I'm looking more at the price of the console, not the games. Once the end of lifecycle is hit, usually you get big discounts on the console itself - sometimes with a late revision (The Wii Mini, for example). I don't know the pricing strategy or history as well as Tanooki does so it's not completely impossible for me to be full of it.

I've moved to a digital lifestyle and I have been unloading my entire physical collection on eBay, so the eShop prices would be what I would pay.

The biggest pull to the end of lifecycle purchase is one can evaluate all the games that are on the console. If one purchases at the beginning, said person is left with just future promises and a lot of complaining that there are no games to play.
    Last edited by Zthun; 03-25-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, if you're looking for a good price on hardware, waiting isn't a bad game. Especially with digital distribution like you'd be doing.

Incredible deals can be had for time to time on the Wii U, but they're the definition of 'YMMV'. Best bet for a good price on the system itself is what you're doing.

I doubt we'll get a revision though. Nintendo will drop this like a hot potato at the earliest chance, N64 and GCN style.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Based on what?
    Based on what Iwata has said:

Quote Originally Posted by Iwata
    What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform.
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...130131/05.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That goes with my wish (one hardware) being shot down, but the other of them having a unified style of hardware and os that's scalable so you can have two products but use the same assets to make a game for both. It makes sense because you can make a game and it will work on both so if someone is just a handheld or just a console gamer, they're not missing out. You can sell more software easier that way and hardware too leaving choice for the game to be played on.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    In other words, pure speculation based on a quote that is now over two years old.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I just hope a Wii U emulator comes out. The hardware isn't that crazy powerful and they already have a basic PS3 emulator going. That is what I will wait for. I am tired of waiting on Nintendo to figure out what they are going to do. You don't need a revolution every single time.
    You'd also have to somehow emulate the gamepad, and that sounds like a nightmare. Granted, for many games you wouldn't need to, but for a lot of them you would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    You'd also have to somehow emulate the gamepad, and that sounds like a nightmare. Granted, for many games you wouldn't need to, but for a lot of them you would.
    Simple: The emulator would have a secondary download of a free android app so you can run the main game on your computer and use a tablet for the gamepad functions. Not a perfect solution, but a doable one in theory.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Or a screen swap button that allows you to go back and forth between the two screens

While on the touch screen, you could handle touch inputs with your mouse. Not useful for touch-centric gameplay or games that are actively using both screens pretty much simultaneously, but useful when it's for something secondary like navigating menus and other secondary aspects, which are the more typical uses for the Wii U gamepad screen anyways outside of enabling off-screen play.

And I can't think of a Wii U specific need for it, but the ability to map a control input to a particular touch screen input would also be great. For a related example that makes a good illustration of how that could be useful, say that you're playing New Super Mario Bros. DS via emulation and want to activate your stored powerup, shown below with a emulator screenshot of both screens.

If you could set it up in your emulator options where a press of an otherwise unused button mimics a particular touch screen input where that stored powerup is at the bottom right hand corner. That would completely liberate something like this game from not only the need for touch controls, but also the need of dual screens during gameplay (Homebrew emulators can already automatically swap screens in this game when you go underground and the action switches to the touch screen).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-17-2015 at 11:57 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post