Thread: Best versions of systems

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best versions of systems

As we know sometimes systems get revisions or redesigns. Which ones are your favorites? I will start with my personal favorite redesign the PS3 super slim. I upgraded to it from a launch PS3 60gb and it was just amazing how much quieter it was and of course the size difference. I still have that launch system but it was just too loud most of the time. It has CFW on it which I don't even know what use I can get out of it now.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite 2600 models will always be the Jr. and the Coleco Gemini.

For Nintendo, right now my favorites are the AV Famicom (small size, multi-AV), SNES model 1 (dat component mod), JPN watermelon N64 (looks great and has great picture), the Wii RVL-001 (superior to a plain GC) and lastly in the handheld category, basically all Game Boys. Right now I'm re-loving the original GBA now that I have one with a backlit screen. I wish the GBA was like at from day one.

With Sega, the only console of theirs I own that ever got a lot of different models is the Genesis. I like the original Model 1, but the 2 and 3 are good as well. I haven't used any of the combo systems, but the Sega CD Model 2 is very good, way better than the horrible Model 1 that breaks every 5 minutes.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PC Engine got a ton of revisions, but I've always liked the original, plain white version. If I'm ever able to get my hands on it, I'd love to get the original, briefcase style cd-rom attachment with super system card. I know most people would tell me to get a Duo RX, and they're probably right, but I just like the way the briefcase version looks.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    The PC Engine got a ton of revisions, but I've always liked the original, plain white version. If I'm ever able to get my hands on it, I'd love to get the original, briefcase style cd-rom attachment with super system card. I know most people would tell me to get a Duo RX, and they're probably right, but I just like the way the briefcase version looks.
    Years ago I ordered a complete in box white pc-engine with cd rom attachment from Japan. The cd rom was supposed to be functional, but sadly does not work despite everything being in like-new condition. I still have the system and it does look awesome but the cd rom attachments suck because they break.
    As far as pc engine, the Super cd rom2 attachment is probably a better choice than a duo.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to add one of my other all time favorites. The CDX. I don't care who you are that thing was sexy back in the day. It still is to me. I am glad I have one but I am just afraid the CD part is going to go out on me. Plus I lost the orginal AC cord for it. I need to snag one on ebay but they can go for more than I am willing to pay right now.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I loved my cdx until i got my sony pvm. The video signal is the worst of all genesis models with scart rgb cable. Xeye is the best genesis/sega cd combo, model 1 hd graphics is the best genesis only console. Model 1 US hd genesis is the best looking console of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

On the SNES the 1CHIP model since it gives the sharpest cleanest imagery but not really able to tell from the outside if you're getting one. GBA, none but if I could put the 101 screen in the original that would be it just like the NES due to that annoying connector issue since the remodel fixes that but cheaped out elsewhere. When it came to the TG I went with the Duo, by far the best since all it had within one shell instead of piecing it together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LaserActive. One unit plus the PACs and you can play LaserDiscs, Genesis, SegaCD, TurboGrafx, Turbo CD, Mega-LD, and LD-ROMROM games.

RGB mod on it is simple and the front loading tray mech makes it quite nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    On the SNES the 1CHIP model since it gives the sharpest cleanest imagery but not really able to tell from the outside if you're getting one.
    You can get a similar effect by installing actual DC voltage filtering in other SNES consoles. Most board revisions have an empty spot for a big capacitor near the AV port, put at least a 1000uF 16v cap there. You can also add a 220uF cap at the 7805, ground and output pins (negative to ground IIRC).

Come join us on Micro-64

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the 360 slim with the 250 gig hard drive after going thru 3 used white xboxes in 3 weeks all victim to the red ring of death. I've had no problems with it ever in 5 years. Other superior models, the GBA sp is an obvious improvement on the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    You can get a similar effect by installing actual DC voltage filtering in other SNES consoles. Most board revisions have an empty spot for a big capacitor near the AV port, put at least a 1000uF 16v cap there. You can also add a 220uF cap at the 7805, ground and output pins (negative to ground IIRC).
    Good point and with the knowledge I'm rapidly picking up in basic repair due to my new pinball machine I think I'd feel comfortable doing that if I had a picture in front of me and the spare part involved. I was though thinking out of the box systems.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I definitely like the white mini PS One much better than the larger gray model of the system. The lasers on those seems to be better at reading scratched discs and they aren't as noisy. The compact form factor also gives it a smaller footprint. It is also much lighter and easier to take somewhere. The only downside is the power brick, but that can be solved by just using the earlier version of the PS2 slim adapter.

I don't know whether to like the PS2 slim better than the original or not. I've never had problems with either and people have noted problems with both. I guess I just take better care of stuff.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

These aren't necessarily the best, but they're my favorites:

NEC
    ----------
    Original DUO. I know a lot of people knock it for bad caps, but after you recap it that thing is boss. I dig the style.

SEGA
    ---------
    Genesis Model 1 (Hi Def) - The sound is clearer and the music has a punch to it that I like.
    Saturn - Skeleton Model - just looks cool
    Dreamcast - Early HTK-3000 models (JP Orange Box). They have a better cooling system, less likely to have the reset issue.

SNK
    --------
    Neo Geo CDZ - The only way I can play the CD games.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GBA, none but if I could put the 101 screen in the original that would be it just like the NES due to that annoying connector issue since the remodel fixes that but cheaped out elsewhere.
    Annoys me that there's no "best" version of the GBA either. I slightly prefer the 001 screen for the SP since it has a better refresh rate. Scrolling looks a bit blurry in the 101.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ness7281992
    Steam
    Ness7281992@gmail.com

Talking

Hmm... In no particular order (and with a lot of brain dust):
    I love my Genesis HD model 1, but I still have great admiration for the compact, sleek, and absurdly light design of the Model 2 variant, and if you can get your hands on an enhanced (i.e. jailbar free) NES-101...*Slobber babbles like Homer Simpson*
    I always loved my Model 1 SNES, but I think the SNES remodel is a very sleek design. Never heard of the 1CHIP until visiting this thread. Don't know if I have one with it or not. Will have to open it sometime to look. Funny, it might be, as it does seem a cleaner picture than when I've played other people's consoles...
    I still like the SCPH-5501 Model PSX. It has both a parallel and serial port, and I have the worst luck with PSX memory cards going corrupt (that's why I still haven't finished Lunar 2 ). Fortunately, I got me an unopened PS1 Gameshark for free from a game store I used to frequent, so I've got all those virtual cards I can use instead. I prefer the piggyback PS1 Gameshark over the memory card one (I never cared for the larger size of that thing). I only wish I could've used it on my old PSOne, I like the BIOS of that model more than the unicorn puke buttons of the others. I also love the portable design of the PSOne with the built in screen, though I've never seen it in use. I expect it probably didn't have as bad of ghosting images as the Game Gear, but I still suspect it wasn't ideal.
    I always liked the Gameboy Color best. It wasn't too heavy, like the original model, and the LCD refresh rate was crisp. I would go with the original GBA, if it weren't for 2 design flaws: the screen brightness/visibility (of course), and the crap for shoulder buttons that always broke. I could complain about the GBA systems as a whole, but this is about revisions.
    Sega Genesis Model 1 Version 1 + Sega 32x + Sega CD Model 2=best worst major console of all time. The Model 1 Version 1 doesn't have the TMSS chip, so it has 100% Genesis game compatibility. While the Sega CD Model 1 looks best on a Genesis Model 1, and a CD Model 2 with a Model 2, we are now facing issues with the disc tray motors failing in the Model 1's. And the 32x, well... it's the 32x. I do miss having a Gen Model 1 with a CD Model 1. Possibly my favorite console setup ever.
    I like the look of the Master System II, but I have compatability to work with, so I have to stick with the original physical design, although I would prefer one with Sonic 1 or Safari Hunt+Hang-On built in.
    The Sega Saturn model 2 I think looks a little more aesthetically pleasing and a little less pretentious than the model 1. And while I do like the grip of the model 1 controllers, I'd lose all credibility as a serious gamer if I said it was better than the Japanese/Model 2 controllers.
    Still prefer the original PS2 over the slim for the Hard Drive capability, but I love the original PS2 slim. The final slim models just felt like knock-offs or something.
    I like both the original and the slim PS3 models aesthetically, but the super slim or whatever the final revision is called is just too weird. Every time I see one, I imagine it as the dismembered neck of a xenomorph. Am I the only one who sees this?
    PSP-3000 lite (the silver/grey one). I love the feel in my hands. It seems to possess a texture reminiscent to my old Gameboy Color, and it lets the skin on my fingers breathe, unlike every other version I've used--and I've tried every other version.
    Silver Gamecube. If the black model weren't so... rubbery of a lustre, I'd pick it instead.
    And of course the New 3DS XL. I don't think I need to explain. You've already read all about the improvements.
    ...And I think I've run out of consoles.
    Lemme guess: TLDR?
    Well, I've played more than my share of games, I suppose. Dammit, this post makes me feel old.

Insert Coin (Level 0) -dustburn-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    1891-1176-8170

Is there a website that has all of this information in one place? That would be helpful!

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Def LaserActive!!

I recently sold off almost all my Genesis / MD items so now all I have is an adapter to play Gen / MD on SNES and a few carts, and my TG16 + games sold awhile ago, so now I am holdin' out for the LaserActive PAC's!!
    I am a Laserdisc collector, and I own the Pioneer CLD-V2600 w/ many many LD's, but sadly no LaserActive unit yet. As soon as I get a LaserActive, I am definitely getting PAC-S10 & PAC-N10 since I'd love to find something that can (as mentioned above) play Gen / MD, Sega CD, TG CD and Hu card games all with a slick unit that can also play my favorite video format of all time!!!! Since I don't own any Sega consoles but DC and no TG16 anymore, this is my personal fave solution to playing all those game libraries. (although I realize it might be cheaper jus to buy a Genesis w/ CD & TG16 w/ CD)

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Good point and with the knowledge I'm rapidly picking up in basic repair due to my new pinball machine I think I'd feel comfortable doing that if I had a picture in front of me and the spare part involved. I was though thinking out of the box systems.
    yes this coupled with the component mod of some of the multi chip systems and it should be pretty sweet. I need to order a few big caps for this as I don't have any and I don't have any way of getting them locally any more.

of the systems I think the Super Famicom is the best of the SNES/SFC systems the design of it is so much better than the SNES.
    Twin Famicom for the 8 bit Nintendo stuff. its pretty sweet. composite out from the factory, one big ass unit and no funky ram cart to jam into the slot while maintaining all the compatibility with accessories. makes one cream them selves.
    sega Saturn model one from a purely design point of view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know that old post of mine was referring to the GBA original internally resized and ribbon adaptered to play nice with a 101 screen. I did it around a couple weeks ago and man the results are amazing.

Nice and clean, and that's a legit copy of QWAK too. I love the lightness and clarity of that screen over the original so much.

That said since SFC/SNES was brought up, I too prefer strongly the SFC/UK SNES style shell as the one we got was just ugly as sin and ribbed for your pleasure along the bottom too for a never to happen maybe add-on device. I wonder if anyone has ever screwed with a Japanese shell and PUT a US system into it if that's at all possible.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You probably could put a US system in a SFC shell but it's pointless. US carts are slightly bigger so they won't fit in a SFC cart slot. (not unless you want to hack up the SFC cart slot to leave an ugly hole around it)
    I believe other than the casing the two are identical. Down to that US carts PCBs are even the same as SFC.