Thread: Where to buy older imports?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where to buy older imports?

I know where to buy the newer (PS2, GC, etc) imports, but where can I find the older stuff like Famicom and SFC stuff. Ebay often has super fami stuff, but most of the old famicom stuff I've been seeing lately is crap. Does anyone know of any online stores that have older stock for sale besides eBay?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.videogameimports.com have about 60-70 SFC titles in stock.

some Famicom too. The ex VAT price is what you pay btw.

They really shine with Japanese Saturn stuff though. Almost 500 Japanese Saturn games in stock.

Almost 500 Japanese PC Engine games in stock too. Truly an impressive store.

www.mcvans.com has some stuff too.

www.ravengames.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think your best bet is to find someone that lvies in Japan and finds games.... they can literally get anything, although asking for something specific (as opposed to something they've already got) may get pricey.

I don't do this anymore, but I can't go to Akihabara anymore without seeing a gaijin taking notes on prices of anything. Sure they might be visiting, but you tend to see the same ones over and over. So, they do exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

videogameimports' prices are REALLY high however...be forewarned. Same with ravengames last time I checked....both are well above the average for prices. I'd say on the average, 150% of the going rates due to the currency conversions.

For good prices on imports:

www.wolfgames.com
    www.thewestexit.net

Both are awesome private sellers with excellent inventories. If you're looking for SFC games, I've also got about 20 titles in stock at my site: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/maxlords/

For Famicom, I haven't found hardly ANYONE that deals in em
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always liked Wolfgames' selection...but the guy who runs it kinda put me off with his attitude once when I was just asking a simple question. Haven't been back since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    I always liked Wolfgames' selection...but the guy who runs it kinda put me off with his attitude once when I was just asking a simple question. Haven't been back since.
    That's odd?!? :/ Matt has never been anything but nice to me. This includes the time I had to cancel a $500 order with him! What kind of question did you ask, if I may ask. His prices can be beat on some items, but for me his service over shadows price (some times ).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wolf Games sells Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus new for $59 while VGI wants $64.

Capcom Generation 3: Wolf $29 and $25 at VGI

Panzer Dragoon Zwei: Wolf $19 and $22 at VGI

Sexy Parodius: $49 at wolf and $49-$63 depending on condition and spine at VGI.

These were just four random comparasons I did. I found the prices to be negligibly different, while VGI's selection can not be beat, anywhere. Maxlords, were you comparing the price including VAT? If you order from VGI to a country outside the UK you pay the price on the left, that excludes VAT.

Where else can you find 3 copies of Radiant Silvergun in stock at the same time?

or 7 NeoGeo CD consoles in stock?

or Hi-Saturn, This is Cool Saturn, and White Saturn consoles all in stock?

or a dozen different PC-Engine consoles?

Plus, the descriptions are much more detailed on each item.

That said, I have added wolf to my list of stores that I will browse regularly.

Oh, and for those of you looking for European exclusive Dreamcast games, I recommend Monaco Grand Prix 2 Online for $5.50 sealed from VGI. I ordered two of them.

The exchange rate varies between here and the UK too so prices fluctuate quite a bit and sometimes it gets really cheap, and sometimes really expensive to order from England.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I asked him if he had ever gotten PS1 Battle Qix or Superlite 3-In-1 Arcade Classics in stock - it had been about 4-5 months since I'd last asked, and his answer was really pissy. He had me confused with someone who had apparently been bugging the hell out of him about it, but wouldn't listen when I tried to tell him that this was only the second time I'd contacted him.

I run a small business on the side myself, and while I'm sure I don't do the volume of order traffic that he does, I would never respond to a potential customer like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    I asked him if he had ever gotten PS1 Battle Qix or Superlite 3-In-1 Arcade Classics in stock - it had been about 4-5 months since I'd last asked, and his answer was really pissy. He had me confused with someone who had apparently been bugging the hell out of him about it, but wouldn't listen when I tried to tell him that this was only the second time I'd contacted him.

I run a small business on the side myself, and while I'm sure I don't do the volume of order traffic that he does, I would never respond to a potential customer like that.
    Fair enough. At least you didn't ask some crazy question that he'd get 1000's of times.

You're point is valid, some times what you say is what you shouldn't say at all. I have done that myself plenty of times! You should give him another shot, I don't think you'd be dissapointed at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Sensei

But that's without the exchange! All the prices are VGI are in British pounds, which means you multiply all the prices by 1.57, making them MUCH higher (over 50% higher) than Wolfgames, who sells in US dollars. They're only the same if you ignore the exchange rate, which makes a HUGE difference when 1 British pound is worth $1.57 US!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where else can you find 3 copies of Radiant Silvergun in stock at the same time?
    Look up at my post about private sellers living in Japan. I only saw about 5 last trip to Akihabara, as well as 3 Taroumaru's (one sealed) and some stuff even rarer.

Hehe... the conversion rate. How lame is that... you go to the UK, something that's $10 here, is 10 pounds there. Kinda sucks. I'm used to overpriced bullshit though. Anyone here had an $8 Corona before?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    I think your best bet is to find someone that lvies in Japan and finds games.... they can literally get anything, although asking for something specific (as opposed to something they've already got) may get pricey.
    Well, speaking of this... does anyone here still do it? I've purchased stuff from Priest JPN, but I'm pretty sure that he's no longer in Japan. Does anyone else know of any quality sellers, or somewhere I can find one?

Anywho, thanks for all of the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijunPunch
    Hehe... the conversion rate. How lame is that... you go to the UK, something that's $10 here, is 10 pounds there. Kinda sucks. I'm used to overpriced bullshit though. Anyone here had an $8 Corona before?
    And yes, that does suck... until you go somewhere that has a lower rate than the US (95% of the world).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Sensei

But that's without the exchange! All the prices are VGI are in British pounds, which means you multiply all the prices by 1.57, making them MUCH higher (over 50% higher) than Wolfgames, who sells in US dollars. They're only the same if you ignore the exchange rate, which makes a HUGE difference when 1 British pound is worth $1.57 US!
    Umm.....of course it is with the exchange. All the prices listed for VGI above were converted from GBP to USD using www.xe.com. I've been importing for years, and I'm not an idiot.

www.Videogameimports.com sells Capcom Generation 3 new/sealed for 12.76 GBP which comes to roughly $20. Wolf wants $29 for theirs.

Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus is 40.84 GBP which comes to roughly $64.

and so on.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and btw VGI has Shinrei Jusatsushi TAROMARU in stock

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, speaking of this... does anyone here still do it? I've purchased stuff from Priest JPN, but I'm pretty sure that he's no longer in Japan. Does anyone else know of any quality sellers, or somewhere I can find one?
    At the moment, I don't know of any. I did get chummy with a guy in the arcades playing VF4. When I asked him what he did, he said, "I just sell games at the moment". Hehe... we had a good chat. A shame I didn't meet him right after I closed the doors... I could've given him a lot of business.

I think if you just look around, I'd think you'd find one. Or, you can always do "Ask question to seller" on Ebay for guys that are selling from Japan.

It can't be that hard. There's tons of exchange students in Japan that could use the extra cash.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use the Yahoo Japan auction site and grab what I want there, and get it sent to my friend who lives in Japan.

Trust me, there are very few places to find games. Akihabara is nowhere close to as good as it used to be.. especially for finding old stuff. And, there are no Value Villages or Salvation Armies either.

A connection is the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's PLENTY in Akihabara if you know where to look.
    8-bit... yeah, it's not near as easy to find as SFC or PSX stuff, mainly b/c it's not near as hot as it used to be so not many people are as willing to carry it. But, it's there.