Thread: 3DS Collections?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DS Collections?

Now I pretty much gave up the videogame collecting thing YEARS ago. Selling everything and emulating ever since. I realized it was just hoarding and I wasn't playing the games like I should. Games should be played, not sitting on a shelf waiting to be observed by nobody but yourself. Honestly, who is going to come over and be impressed by a fucking complete copy of Wild Guns? Nobody, that's who. Takes too much space, is time consuming, not to mention the fact that resellers are sleazeballs nowadays. You have people encasing videogames like comic books for Crissakes. It's dumb, unless you're wealthy.

But, after recently picking up a 3ds last year, I have amassed quite a little collection of complete 3ds games. Mostly because alot of games can be had for dirt cheap. I admit I've been intrigued by the number of Limited/Collectors editions of games produced for the thing. Been trying to get most of them but the prices are getting ridiculous.

Anyone else have a big 3ds collection or starting a 3ds collection? Any special editions or hard to find games that flew under the radar? Any 3ds discussion?

I noticed the EA games are getting increasingly expensive which is quite ironic. Madden goes for over 50 bucks used now and Need for Speed: The Run is getting up there in price. Sega games such as Rhythm Thief and Captain America are getting harder to find as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So Rhythm Thief did get a retail release? I was trying to confirm that the other day and couldn't even seem to find a picture.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Last I checked, Cave Story 3D with the lenticular sleeve and Kid Icarus: Uprising with the stand and AR cards both frequently fetch about $70 used and complete. I'd keep an eye on Code of Princess. Some day people will figure out that it's more of a spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes than Guardian Heroes Advance was, and from the same designer. Some YouTube channel will blow it up, and people will scramble for it. I could be wrong, but I'd bet on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You are probably right on that with Code of Princess, and it did come both standard and for a little bit at first with a CD and teeny art book combo thing in a slip so thatll go up more when the other does.

I have about 25 3DS games on the shelf. It is odd but some you think could get more due to limited packaging do not always have it happen like Super Street Fighter IV which had the 3D outer slip cover too and can be had for like $10. I think as far as limited boxes go anything Atlus if it hasnt already like Shin Megami Tensei IV will in time, and probably the same can be said with the SquareEnix stuff from Bravely Defaults big box through Theaterhythm FF Curtain Call which had that too very limited through their site while others got a very less limited slip with a limited audio cd before the norma box went everywhere.

Aside from the scalping on certain stuff and plastic coffin making you also would have to figure out the crazies who are into oddball variants or typos. RE Revelations spine on the first run is wrong and was getting like 2x+ the real value early on but it collapsed for now. Then you have the red box vs white box Mario 3dS titles too.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't know if the red Mario case will be AS valuable? Wasn't Nintendo selling empty red cases through their website (I'm pretty sure they were with the DS cases)?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    So Rhythm Thief did get a retail release? I was trying to confirm that the other day and couldn't even seem to find a picture.
    Yeah, I found a used copy on ebay for retail price. I've seen Code of Princess everywhere and have 2 copies myself, regular and cd/artbook edition. Other Atlus rpgs like SMT:Soul Hackers and Etrian Oddysey 4 also have the cd/artbook combo.

Just picked up the Hot Wheels game that comes with a little car and Lego Chima that comes with a little Lego figure. I see there is a Beyblade special edition but I'm not into that sort of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Last I checked, Cave Story 3D with the lenticular sleeve and Kid Icarus: Uprising with the stand and AR cards both frequently fetch about $70 used and complete. I'd keep an eye on Code of Princess. Some day people will figure out that it's more of a spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes than Guardian Heroes Advance was, and from the same designer. Some YouTube channel will blow it up, and people will scramble for it. I could be wrong, but I'd bet on it.
    Code Princess was the first 3DS game I bought with my 3DS. I then promptly took it back and exchanged it for Mario 3D Land.

It wasn't exactly... Bad. It just felt really clunky, and the 3D was really poorly implemented (information display SHOULD ALWAYS BE AT THE SAME PLANE AS THE SCREEN, not the middle ground). If I can get it cheaper I might pick it up again, but my first impression was really bad. Mario 3D was much better in terms of selling me on the system.

Anyway, on collecting for 3DS, I'm way into it. Not so much the big collectors boxes (fuuuuuck that Persona Q set) but I was buying up new releases at a pretty good clip over the last two years. Things have kinda screeched to a halt though due to some work related woes over the last few months. So I've missed some major releases I was really looking forward to (Monster Hunter, Majoras. Probably won't get Xenoblade either....)

Fun fact, I bought a 3DS for Fire Emblem Awakening in 2013.

Still have yet to get my hands on a copy. I'm really bad at this whole collecting thing sometimes.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 04-05-2015 at 04:00 PM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

For the 3DS i've got about 50% of the US library and am currently sitting at 198 standard retail games according to my personal list. That count includes all LE's and most every big box game (ie the retailer exclusive Lego ones for example, or Hot Wheels w/ Hot Wheel). All the major errors (Nartuo spine and RE: Revelaitons spine) and and some variants like Ruby/Sapphire box and a RE: Mercenaries with a dual language insert that don't count against the main list total. I haven't chased the red case games yet (and I never did for DS either) but those are still plentiful. I've also got an English copy of The Louvre as well. Keeping with my Not For Resale kiosk cartridge love, I've also got all the 3DS kiosk demos save 3, so 20/23.

I'm worse with DS, but the 3DS has bled out games so much slower it's been far easier to get most all the filler I really have no need/reason to own.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    For the 3DS i've got about 50% of the US library and am currently sitting at 198 standard retail games according to my personal list. That count includes all LE's and most every big box game (ie the retailer exclusive Lego ones for example, or Hot Wheels w/ Hot Wheel). All the major errors (Nartuo spine and RE: Revelaitons spine) and and some variants like Ruby/Sapphire box and a RE: Mercenaries with a dual language insert that don't count against the main list total. I haven't chased the red case games yet (and I never did for DS either) but those are still plentiful. I've also got an English copy of The Louvre as well. Keeping with my Not For Resale kiosk cartridge love, I've also got all the 3DS kiosk demos save 3, so 20/23.

I'm worse with DS, but the 3DS has bled out games so much slower it's been far easier to get most all the filler I really have no need/reason to own.
    Impressive, we'll have to compare collections. I'm slightly over 100 with all of the big box editions minus Majoras Mask. I had no idea about the Naruto spine-misspelling, but I do have the RE:Revelations misspelled spine. I hear there is a version of RE:Mercenaries with a special 3ds cover plate, but I have yet to see it.

Can I ask where you got your copy of The Louvre from? And does it play on NA systems? I need that...

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Impressive, we'll have to compare collections. I'm slightly over 100 with all of the big box editions minus Majoras Mask. I had no idea about the Naruto spine-misspelling, but I do have the RE:Revelations misspelled spine. I hear there is a version of RE:Mercenaries with a special 3ds cover plate, but I have yet to see it.

Can I ask where you got your copy of The Louvre from? And does it play on NA systems? I need that...
    There is no special RE: Mercenaries, at least in America. I've been 3DS buying since day one and that was something that did not/has not existed here in the states.

The Louvre game is the only regionless game released for the 3DS so far. There are 5 languages/versions out there. While it's packaging is more in line with European 3DS games, it works just fine in any NA system. I got mine from someone on NintendoAge who lives in France and (at least at the time) was buying copies for people and flipping them for small profits. They show up on eBay every now and again as well.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Yeah, it's even on Gamestop's site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I noticed the EA games are getting increasingly expensive which is quite ironic. Madden goes for over 50 bucks used now and Need for Speed: The Run is getting up there in price.
    There was a guy selling a few 3DS racing games on craigslist for $5 each a few months ago and I only wanted Spy Hunter because I had been searching for that game for about a year. I then looked up the other games he was selling and noticed that Need For Speed: The Run was going for some good money so I grabbed that as well for $5. I agree thats it's pretty weird to see EA games going for semi-expensive prices, especially when they aren't that old.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well blame EA, they decided that when they wanted to pull the classic sega under the bus stunt on Nintendo they didn't just jerk the WiiU support, they took down the 3DS as well so there's less copies, more demand, higher price. It's sad really because EA was to blame entirely for their sales problems taking games that were released for months if not over a year and put them on Nintendo hardware, then got butt hurt and pointed fingers everywhere else but towards themselves when nothing sold.