Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNES or Genesis reproduction carts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default SNES or Genesis reproduction carts?

Does anyone offer anything similar to nesreproductions.com except for the SNES or Genesis? If so, is there an online list of donor carts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Don't use them there have been a lot of complaints with them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kind of complaints, out of curiosity? I've never ordered from there, but it looks legit enough to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh dear lord, ever since i got my super everdrive, i just realized that making repros nowadays is pretty much futile and a bit of a waste, since you know, the games you need to sacrifice them boards are now artificially inflated as all hell and you cant get them anymore for dirt cheap or even reasonable anymore because even the brick & mortar/goodwill like stores have succumbed to the temptation (and betrayed what they used to stand for in the first place) and suck on the giant Ebay/Speculator/Scalper/Extorsionist wee wee.

Not to mentions, most people sun the making of repros for legit rare titles like Bubble Bobble 2, Little Samsom and Suprise at Dinasour Peak, sure, because paying fortunes to get these titles legally is not illegal

Now, i now about these http://www.infiniteneslives.com/nessupplies.php

but then again, these are in case YOU know how to make repros yourself, like, it's not like you can actually tell the repro maker to get you one of these. (damn shame, because IinfiniteLives even has cart shells!, remember when retroUSB use to do them?).

And finally, the EPROM issue, i heard that genesis and SNES repros use FLASH ROMs to make them and they last longer (correct me if i am wrong).

and for me, it's the racism of shipping fees from the US post

Also i got screwed over because of my own postal service, because i actually bought a repro once from Leon, the guy behind nesreproductions.com, and the game in question was sweet Home, and yes, i sacrificed my original Zelda II for it, and then he told me that he needed to convert the board or something to the one from Zelda 1, since Zelda II wasn't compatible, i pay the price and he told me he couldn't get the tracking option from Canada, since they asked $60 USD he told me, well, i got fucked, because my postal service "lost" the package and for a 3 months i got nothing and i complain to my postal service and nada, and they also didn't gave me any confidence either, (that's why i say FUCK IT and just went trough my unaltered Sweet Home untranslated in famicom form), now, i wish no ill towards Leon, because he was nice and refund me my money, but i deeply regret this experience, since i lost Zelda II.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    Oh dear lord, ever since i got my super everdrive, i just realized that making repros nowadays is pretty much futile and a bit of a waste, since you know, the games you need to sacrifice them boards are now artificially inflated as all hell and you cant get them anymore for dirt cheap or even reasonable anymore because even the brick & mortar/goodwill like stores have succumbed to the temptation (and betrayed what they used to stand for in the first place) and suck on the giant Ebay/Speculator/Scalper/Extorsionist wee wee.

Not to mentions, most people sun the making of repros for legit rare titles like Bubble Bobble 2, Little Samsom and Suprise at Dinasour Peak, sure, because paying fortunes to get these titles legally is not illegal

Now, i now about these http://www.infiniteneslives.com/nessupplies.php

but then again, these are in case YOU know how to make repros yourself, like, it's not like you can actually tell the repro maker to get you one of these. (damn shame, because IinfiniteLives even has cart shells!, remember when retroUSB use to do them?).

And finally, the EPROM issue, i heard that genesis and SNES repros use FLASH ROMs to make them and they last longer (correct me if i am wrong).

and for me, it's the racism of shipping fees from the US post

Also i got screwed over because of my own postal service, because i actually bought a repro once from Leon, the guy behind nesreproductions.com, and the game in question was sweet Home, and yes, i sacrificed my original Zelda II for it, and then he told me that he needed to convert the board or something to the one from Zelda 1, since Zelda II wasn't compatible, i pay the price and he told me he couldn't get the tracking option from Canada, since they asked $60 USD he told me, well, i got fucked, because my postal service "lost" the package and for a 3 months i got nothing and i complain to my postal service and nada, and they also didn't gave me any confidence either, (that's why i say FUCK IT and just went trough my unaltered Sweet Home untranslated in famicom form), now, i wish no ill towards Leon, because he was nice and refund me my money, but i deeply regret this experience, since i lost Zelda II.
    No point in sacrificing games for repros, and no point in wasting money on repros.
    Flash carts will play 99% of games for nes/snes. You can play the translated version of Sweet Home on the powerpak, along with thousands of other games...

Honestly the people selling repros are just taking advantage of people who dont know better. And they know they are.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Oh, I don't know that they're as predatory as all that. There is a market for people who just enjoy the separate cart. I'm not saying it's logical or rational, but sometimes people just like what they like in spite of whay else is available, and that's not hurting anyone. Now, the people turning those same repro carts on ebay for double the cost... that's predatory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Now, the people turning those same repro carts on ebay for double the cost... that's predatory.
    Its the same thing. People turn to repros because they dont know flash carts exist. People turn to ebay because they dont know that they can be bought elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Honestly the people selling repros are just taking advantage of people who don't know better. And they know they are.
    Not necessarily. As someone who loves The Goonies 2, for example, I could see getting a repro cart of Goonies 1 to go with it. Likewise, I could see getting a repro of the real Super Mario Bros 2 to go with my other NES Marios and make it a complete set. And, of course, I would love to get a repro of NWC just because. That said, since parts to make them are available and reasonably inexpensive, I would only order from a site that used all new parts. No donating for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I view it differently. I know people who are well aware of Power Paks and Everdrives but choose to buy repro carts. They aren't being exploited. That's the difference; preying on lack of knowledge or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's a few that turn to bootleg (repros) because they want a specific game on a cart and not a full blown piracy device, and sometimes that device won't run a game which is why I have Starfox 2. Ialso have both retrozone Famicom games for Kid Dracula and Gradius, sure I could get them on a real game but they're in Japanese.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Well, cant really argue against the "I wanted it, so buying it is justified" argument.
    Personally I cant find a place on the shelf for bootleg games hacked together by some chump who thinks he is some tec whiz because he can flash a rom.
    Unless its something like StarFox2 thats really cant be played any other way.. I really view buying repros as a total waste. But thats just my opinion.
    Translated roms play just perfectly on powerpaks, so no need to buy english translated game as repros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think that repro carts should essentially be viewed as novelty items. I mean, if you just want to play, a flash cart or emulation clearly are way more cost effective. They aren't truly collectables inasmuch as they are grey market, completely unauthorized items. They're just interesting novelties to interested individuals, like a homemade plushie or cosplay outfit, and shouldn't be viewed as memorabilia, collectables, or rarities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Translated roms also work on the Retron5 with an IPS patch and a real cart too, as do hacks like the one that restores the castlevania 2 translation and even adds an overworld map.

I never paid for a hack, Gradius II and Kid Dracula were trades/gifted, Starfox was the exception on buying into it because it can't be done otherwise.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I miss the days when people weren't afraid to use their computers.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I miss the days when people weren't afraid to use their computers.
    People just complained endlessly that it's "not like the real thing".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Computers are great for MAME. I wish I could play my snes/nes systems on my trinitron multiscan VGA monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I dunno... The years and years we've waited for N64 to truly mature from plugin hell.

Copies made from new parts are one thing, even if just typical Asian pirate junk.
    Hacking up real games to gouge people unaware of flash carts is another.
    Lum fan.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Translated roms also work on the Retron5 with an IPS patch and a real cart too, as do hacks like the one that restores the castlevania 2 translation and even adds an overworld map.

I never paid for a hack, Gradius II and Kid Dracula were trades/gifted, Starfox was the exception on buying into it because it can't be done otherwise.
    Tell me more of this castlevania hack? I have never heard of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    Tell me more of this castlevania hack? I have never heard of it.
    There are 2 main hacks, one is Simon's Quest Redaction by the almighty guru, this one has a new script (tough is actually made up and non-accurate, but the deal is, it gives you hints and tells you what to do) and has some programming changes, like the transitions between day and night are faster, the "false hints" have been removed, Death takes more hits and the text is faster.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/868/

the other you are talking about is the one done by Bisqwit, this one has a re-translated script that is faitfull to the original script but also re-structured to be understandable, also features the map.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

however it lacks some of the additions that the "redaction" hack had, so for those, there's individual patches like, speeding up the transitions, removing the invisible blocks in mansions, and one that doubles the Heart values so the games has a faster progression and becomes less grind tedious.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/912/