Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SNES or Genesis reproduction carts?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    People just complained endlessly that it's "not like the real thing".
    Those people are douchebags. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    People just complained endlessly that it's "not like the real thing".
    The same people who only play on RGB modded systems hooked up to PVMs.

For the authentic experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    What kind of complaints, out of curiosity? I've never ordered from there, but it looks legit enough to me.
    Communication problems between seller and buyer. The other issue is the amount of time waiting for the getting the repro.

What I meant by time is the fact Game Reproductions in the past could take 2 or 4 weeks for getting the reproduction that you paid for, but the wait based I read had become way worse. The 2 to 4 weeks was true about 3 years ago, but I think they now a tendency not able to handle the amount orders they get without stopping sales.

In terms of waiting time, it could months like 6 or more months to get the reproduction you paid for.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Oh crud, and there were some repros I thought of getting that I didn't see available elsewhere (without needing a donor cart at least) too.

Yeah the idea of a flash cart has crossed my mind. I know I could just emulate, but a part of me honestly feels bad doing that... I mean, I already use my computers almost daily while my NES collects dust, why give myself _more_ reason to let the NES collect dust?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    the other you are talking about is the one done by Bisqwit, this one has a re-translated script that is faitfull to the original script but also re-structured to be understandable, also features the map.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/
    That's the one I went with, it works best for me. I don't need the extras the top one had, just the right translation and the pop up map off the select button. I don't need filler.

The Game Reproductions guy lives in town where I am, met him a few times and chit chatted online too, very nice, but it is true, over 5 years ago you could get a game in a week or two if it wasn't already pre-made, but in the last couple years he had a baby and the wait times went straight to hell as the free time isn't there. The work is fine but the wait can be a turn off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I won't be doing any computer gaming until I upgrade my computer as I currently have a laggy XP scrap heap. Maybe that's why I haven't pursued flash carts. Where do you get them online? I have a flash cart for my resumes and various files, but nothing for gaming on it.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    I won't be doing any computer gaming until I upgrade my computer as I currently have a laggy XP scrap heap. Maybe that's why I haven't pursued flash carts. Where do you get them online? I have a flash cart for my resumes and various files, but nothing for gaming on it.
    http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=24

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

You can make genesis repros without sacrificing existing games. I sell brand new pcbs for SRAM and non SRAM games (both up to 4mb roms), and will be getting brand new shells in within the month.

There are also places online that sell nes and snes pcbs and cart shells as well. The only thing a person needs is basic soldering skills and an EPROM (you can buy them online and have the company burn them for you for around $0.50).
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    You can make genesis repros without sacrificing existing games. I sell brand new pcbs for SRAM and non SRAM games (both up to 4mb roms), and will be getting brand new shells in within the month.

There are also places online that sell nes and snes pcbs and cart shells as well. The only thing a person needs is basic soldering skills and an EPROM (you can buy them online and have the company burn them for you for around $0.50).
    Go on............

also are NES repros only use EPROMS?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Go on............

also are NES repros only use EPROMS?
    NES repros also use EPROMs or EPROMs. Flash boards are available as well, but require more hardware (not really worth it as everything becomes more expensive, unless you're doing a large run).

The only issue with nes repros is there's no mapper chips in production, though I do believe there is an alternative. Same with CIC chips (there is the CIClone, though).

Snes is similar to genesis since the mappers are set up similar to the genesis (aka, no MMC style chips), but snes repros can become very complex, especially if you're planning on doing large games, like Star Ocean or Tales of Phantasia, where tsops are more beneficial than EPROMs and EPROMs.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    NES repros also use EPROMs or EPROMs. Flash boards are available as well, but require more hardware (not really worth it as everything becomes more expensive, unless you're doing a large run).

The only issue with nes repros is there's no mapper chips in production, though I do believe there is an alternative. Same with CIC chips (there is the CIClone, though).

Snes is similar to genesis since the mappers are set up similar to the genesis (aka, no MMC style chips), but snes repros can become very complex, especially if you're planning on doing large games, like Star Ocean or Tales of Phantasia, where tsops are more beneficial than EPROMs and EPROMs.
    And how long EPROMS last, because i know they are not eternal......

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

And how long EPROMS last, because i know they are not eternal......
    20+ years. Lots of arcade machines from the 80's and 90's used EPROMs and are still 100% functional.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    The same people who only play on RGB modded systems hooked up to PVMs.

For the authentic experience.
    RGB is actually better than the real thing, not actually authentic...though I have switched to the Retron 5...HDMI out on large screen beets PVM monitor.

Anyways...

I did not realize there was so much repro hate. My first repro was the Blockbuster Cart for Sega Genesis. It was that last cart I needed for a complete 'main' set according to the DP printed guide. I was not going to pay the crazy price for this cart that wasn't all that exciting, so I jumped on the repro when I saw it. This predates most flashcarts. So I support making repros of games like Stadium Events which are becoming impossible to afford.

For gaming it's a fair argument, if you just want to play games. I enjoy the collecting element and nothing beats the physical cart. When I bought the Secret of Mana 2 a couple years ago I was like 'hell yeah'. I had been able to play the game via emulation for years, but having the cart (and case) in hand fed my collecting. Silly maybe, but I buy several repros (including a couple NES Castlevania games) at each game show I go to and am quite content to continue despite the fact that I can play every game vie my Ouya or nVidia Shield connected to an HDTV. Everdrives are cool, and convenient; I have considered having one for each system and never having to switch a cart again, but I can't play that many games so buying those repros gives each game more significance to me.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    So I support making repros of games like Stadium Events which are becoming impossible to afford.
    I don't see the point of reproing a common game WITH A DIFFERENT TITLE SCREEN. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    RGB is actually better than the real thing, not actually authentic...though I have switched to the Retron 5...HDMI out on large screen beets PVM monitor.

Anyways...

I did not realize there was so much repro hate. My first repro was the Blockbuster Cart for Sega Genesis. It was that last cart I needed for a complete 'main' set according to the DP printed guide. I was not going to pay the crazy price for this cart that wasn't all that exciting, so I jumped on the repro when I saw it. This predates most flashcarts. So I support making repros of games like Stadium Events which are becoming impossible to afford.

For gaming it's a fair argument, if you just want to play games. I enjoy the collecting element and nothing beats the physical cart. When I bought the Secret of Mana 2 a couple years ago I was like 'hell yeah'. I had been able to play the game via emulation for years, but having the cart (and case) in hand fed my collecting. Silly maybe, but I buy several repros (including a couple NES Castlevania games) at each game show I go to and am quite content to continue despite the fact that I can play every game vie my Ouya or nVidia Shield connected to an HDTV. Everdrives are cool, and convenient; I have considered having one for each system and never having to switch a cart again, but I can't play that many games so buying those repros gives each game more significance to me.
    Very old systems I guess so.

From what I can tell, Master System in 1986 was the first non-computer home console with a usable factory-installed RGB output.
    Mark III lacked an amplifier to display it correctly.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    Don't use them there have been a lot of complaints with them
    I've used them several times and any issues I've had were resolved easily. The only difficulty with GR is the lead time, but it's just one dude so...

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I miss the days when people weren't afraid to use their computers.
    I played emulated games for 15+ years. While it can be close/practically identical, it's not the same. Plus it's neat to have a real cart in your collection.