Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Gameboy, Color, Advance games of the past?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default What's your favorite Gameboy, Color, Advance games of the past?

I for some reason didn't think to make this earlier but the Nintendo console and Sega console stuff seemed pretty popular and given Gameboy was NIntendo's longest standing most popular handheld, I think it deserves its own post.

Last Sunday despite swearing off the thing, someone (adult only owned) posted one over the river for $20, a GBC purple, not a scuff scratch or nick on it or the screen anywhere in a pouch with Tetris and Killer Instinct(bleh traded it.) I got it just for a random desk toy thing, but you never know how things go. Also I hit ebay looking for the arcade conversion of Dragon's Lair on GBC, found it for $5 shipped (was ignored) so that's in the mail.

I was surprised doing some research to have noticed the prices on the game only games have gone down since just about 5 years ago when I last cared, not a lot, but a bit which is nice to see as more people appear to have lost interest. I went around just after that found Cannon Fodder and Radar Mission for $10 at one store, Mario Golf for $4 at another. Today after being held up for a few days I went and tried the formerly cheap ma & pa chain ruined by half price and was surprised. Their GB/GBC stuff is cheap, no one cares. Stuff, a good bit of it was marked at $3-5, not much over. I took in a couple dumper dollar NES games and that stupid KI cart and along with a few extra dollars came away with Kirby's Pinball Land, Revenge of the Gator, Game & Watch Gallery and a mismarked Tetris Attack for 99 cents. The second store was 3 for $10, got Lemmings and Aladdin GBC versions and Mole Mania too.

The hunt was intended to find the original Mario Land, sadly it didn't happen. :\ I doubt I'll buy up much of what I once owned, the quicker stuff probably, but I want fast in and out stuff to mess with, nothing boring, nothing too shallow, and nothing deep either.

What all are your favorites from the black and white and low color days?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Honestly, I haven't played many GameBoy or GameBoy Color games. I didn't really get into the GameBoy until the GBA SP.

My favorite GBA game is probably Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire. It's my most played GBA game anyway. I suppose the runner up would be the Phantasy Star Collection.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

That's why I like my local Play N Trade. Which is now all private owned since the corp went out. They sell gameboy games really cheap. They don't jack up the prices on Mario's and stuff.

My favorite games would be hard to name. I am a huge gameboy nerd. I even modded a bunch of Sp's and advances to have the brighter screen.

I have over 200 GB GBC and advance games in total. Not a ton but all ones I love.

The only 2 I don't have that I previously had played are Shantae for color and Trip World for the GB.

Simple list.
    Doom 2 - GBA - great take along classic.
    Metroid 2 - GB - my favorite Metroid.
    Zelda Minish Cap-GBA-Best Zelda IMO
    Wordtris - GB - great classic to take with you
    Alice in Wonderland-GBC-mini games galore.
    Pocky and Rocky w/Becky-GBA- bullet hell
    R-Type 3-GBA- great difficult bullet hell
    DND Eye of the Beholder-great rogue and cheap
    Contra the alien wars EX- GBA - clean contra 3

There's just too many to list. Even with all the revamps and ports like Earthworm Jim and Defender. I just love these consoles and games. Its like having a classic collection on the road. Plus as busy as it gets as an adult I find it easier to pick up one of my gameboys and playing games bit by bit instead of dedicating hours to a console.

Oh and no matter what anyone tells you. Nightmare in Dreamland IS the best Kirby game. Lol it's true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

DOOM2 on GBA is stunning. They did everything they could aside from NOA's lame ass need for green blood=T rating to make it perfect. All the stages are in, they just had to dice one too big for the memory in half. Shame the first one is a Jaguar port but it's still good.

If you want a real jaw dropper, try Wing Commander Prophecy. They converted the PC game fully to the GBA just removing all the FMV/animation sequences when not flying down to stills. In flight, all full 3D models, even some basic pilot comm chatter too. It's just nuts they fit that and annoyingly so overlooked.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Black & White: Metroid II, Gargoyle's Quest, Milon's Secret Castle (just like the NES game, but with password continue), Kid Icarus

Color: Survival Kids, Robopon, Metal Gear Solid

GBA: Mother 3, Metroid Fusion & Zero Mission, the Castlevanias (Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow), the NES Classics series, Mother 1 & 2, Drill Dozer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Gameboy game I would say TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan, or Metroid II. GameBoy Color game I would say Metal Gear Solid all day long. GBA game I would say one of the Fire Emblem games, but I cant choose which one.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's been awhile since I've played any Gameboy games but I still remember some of my favourites. Duck Tales, Qix, Elevator Action, Space Invaders, Q-Bert, Babs' Big Break, Crazy Castle 2, and Mario's Picross are all excellent. I'd really have to go through all my games again to remember more titles that haven't already been mentioned.

EDIT: Had to mention Link's Awakening. Can't believe I forgot about it and that nobody else mentioned it either.
    Last edited by Gameguy; 04-15-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Advance Wars 2 was the cart I played the most on the GBA. That game was crack.

Mario's Picross on the original b&w.

Nothing really memorable on the GBC. Most of the good games were ports or enhanced colorized versions of GB games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh there are some really notable GBC games that aren't ports or downgradable to the old GB.

Off the top of my head there's Warlocked, Mario Golf, MGS, Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2 (they're like MM on GB, mixes of 2 MMX games bosses and stages remixed), Bionic Commando(it's not the NES game), Wario Land 3, Duke Nukem/Jazz Jackrabbit/Commander Keen which are all new not old PC ports, Top Gear Pocket 2, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (same story, all new stages since it's overhead), the Zelda games ages/seasons which I hate but lots others do not, Kirby Tilt n Tumble, Mario Tennis, Project S11, Pokemon Crystal, Shantae, Wendy Every Witch Way, and there's more I'm sure which could be found using this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oy_Color_games (and sorting by not backwards compatible.)

I did notice some gems on there that were ports -- Aladdin(genesis port), Lemmings/OhNoMoreLemmings, Mr Driller, Toki Tori, Street Fighter Alpha, SF Rush 2049, etc.

I have a sliver of hope that the New3DS gets somewhat of the GBC treatment to stand alone and not a pussed out 4 game release of things for it on a game card like DSi floundered to death on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sword of Hope is a great one. Very underrated. Also, Pokémon Red is probably my second favorite in the series behind Black 2. Sure it's primitive compared to the later entries, but it's still tons of fun.

On the GBA, I would recommend One Piece and DragonBall Advanced Adventure as two of the best beat-em-ups I've played. Then again, I'm a big fan of Banpresto so that could just be personal bias.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Surprised no love for the original Warioware. That game was gameplay in its purest form, I must've spent hours unlocking everything on that cart.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^I absolutely love WarioWare. It's a default take along on any vacation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Advance Guardian Heroes and Shining Soul II are a couple of my favorite GBA games.

I particuilarly think that Advance Guardian Heroes is fantastic. Criticisms of AGH were almost always qualified by making comparisons with the first game. Excluding any personal expectations for what a Guardian Heroes sequal should be, AGH taken on it's on terms will prove to be one of the best beat-em-up games on the GBA platform, and one of the most enjoyably replayable games as well. It's one of the few games of the past decade I've replayed again and again, and through the Hard difficultly level as well.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 04-19-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Link's Awakening is great, but I also love the Zelda Oracle titles. The Dragon Quest ports were pretty sweet as well, as a kid I loved the original DW but missed out on the rest of the series up to 7. So when I got my original GBA I also got both GBC DW cartridges.

Of course there's also the Dragon Warrior: Monster games, and for good Pokemon clones you can't go wrong with Revelations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually loathe those two oracle games a lot, turned me off to handheld Zelda. Capcom made them so f'ng linear in places it was a snore and annoying at the same time and the backtracking involved went above and beyond. I'll never forget that dungeon where you use the mining cars. You have to repeatedly go over the same rooms repeatedly back and forward to get an item, use an item, get another, and so on---infuriating, and the game kept doing stuff like that. Or you'll have spots in the wild where you literally can walk a 1 link wide area swiping one by one at grass to do the path. Just hated them, but Links Awakening DX was pure magic, that one was like the SNES game in your pocket which made those other two feel like a cheap knockoff even in quality not just content.

Now DW1+2 and 3, those are stunning, ports of the earlier SFC remake titles we never got with some solid upgrades across the board totally worth enjoying. I'm not sure I'd buy them again, if I did, probably just DW1+2 for DW1 as it's small and a joy to play (2 sucks.)

Yesterday I had Dragon's Lair and 1942 GBC show up in the mail off of ebay (warlocked is outstanding) and at the flea markets I found Tomb Raider, Street Fighter Alpha, Mario Picross, and Game & Watch Gallery 3.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default Gbc / gba

Link's Awakening is easily my favorite GB/C game, and IMO the best GB/C game of them all. Oracle of Ages / Seasons gets an honorable mention, I guess.

Pokemon Gold and Silver are also incredible games...that Pikachu handheld IR thing was a fun add-on, too. IMO these are better than Ruby / Sapphire, Diamond / Pearl, Black / White, and any of the other ones that came out. It's hard to describe just why these games are so great...but Red / Blue were fairly unpolished and a bit of a mess...there was a kernel of genius in there, but it wasn't quite polished. Gold / Silver took all that and improved on it. These games are not enjoyable any more these days...I think the entire series needs a reboot...but that's a topic for another thread, really. Gold / Silver were great on the GBC.

The Mario Land / Wario Land series is really good, too. Super Mario Land 2 and Wario Land were good, Wario Land 2 was pretty good, and IMO Wario Land 3 is perhaps one of the best handheld platformers of all time (certainly better than Warioland 4 for GBA).

Other honorable mentions: Tetris, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge, Metroid II, and the first Kirby game.

Lots of good GBA games (although I think the DS is slightly better). Metroid Fusion, Minish Cap, Advance Wars, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (the other two can't hold a candle to this one), WarioWare, and that doesn't even begin to cover the remakes / re-releases (SM World / SMB3, Metroid Zero Mission, River City Ransom, Final Fantasy games, etc.). I would really have to go through my collection; I'm sure I'm missing some great games here.

There are some off-the-beaten-path games for these systems that are worth playing for their uniqueness but wouldn't make my "best" list, like Sigma Star Saga, Wizards & Warriors X, maybe a few others.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Another couple no one's mentioned yet- Golden Sun 1 & 2. If any GBA games could be described as forgotten gems, it's those two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Supposedly the third in the series was so terrible maybe that put it out of peoples minds, possibly the company too from doing a fourth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Woot, Warlocked came in the mail today! Pocket warcraft here I come.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Another couple no one's mentioned yet- Golden Sun 1 & 2. If any GBA games could be described as forgotten gems, it's those two.
    I am currently playing through Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age, so it's not that I forgot about it - I purposefully left these games off the list. I'm just not a huge fan. While they may in some respects be considered a high-point in JRPGs (due to the dungeon-puzzle elements introduced in the game), they're still only JRPGs, and are encumbered by all the pitfalls of the sub-genre. You're constantly hindered from proceeding in GS2 by the lack of particular psy / magic moves that complete puzzles, but are given no real indication of where to quest for these "spells." You can acquire special summons, but then can't see which ones you've acquired in any list.

With no quest log, direction markers or dungeon mapping, and with some of the best items available only through convoluted manipulation of the random number generator, I find the game difficult to play properly without some sort of guide - not a hallmark of a great game, in my book. I suppose I could play through the game with a notebook and write down everything I do and maps to all the dungeons, but this seems really tedious and unnecessary. After all, if I'm going to be forced to use a pen & paper, I might as well be playing a real RPG (D&D or something).
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?