Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your favorite Gameboy, Color, Advance games of the past?

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fish Dude - Original Gameboy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I still have a bunch of games I'd like to play for the GBC and GBA, but I'm pretty knowledgable about the original's library at this point.

Top List:
    Link's Awakening
    SML 2-3
    Nemesis II
    Donkey Kong '94
    Mole Mania
    Castlevania II
    Bionic Commando GB
    Gargoyle's Quest
    Kirby's Dreamland 1-2
    Rolan's Curse 2
    Mega Man 4-5
    Catrap
    Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu
    Ninja Gaiden Shadow
    Wario Land 2
    Kwirk/Puzzle Boy
    Revenge of the 'Gator
    Looney Tunes
    Last edited by Alianger; 04-25-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

My favorite Gameboy game is Super Mario Land. The game plays like a quirky cute Super Mario Bros. I prefer the music in the game over the music in Super Mario Bros. and love the level where you can pilot the ship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not sure I mentioned it but last weekend and since I've picked up a good many GB/GBC games all on the cheap pretty much, very thankful for that. A few I've never owned before, the big one being Mario's Picross which I've kept in the system so far. I'm beyond terrible at nonograms, I tend to just miss stuff and take a lot of penalties, but it's still fun.

Currently in my possession I've got: 1942, Bionic Commando, Cannon Fodder, Disney's Aladdin GBC (new to me), Dragon's Lair GBC, Game & Watch Gallery 1 and 3, Kirby's Pinball, Lemmings, Mario Golf, Mario's Picross (new), Mole Mania (new), Radar Mission, Revenge of the Gator, Street Fighter Alpha, Tetris, Tetris Attack, Tomb Raider, and Warlocked.

All those were mostly local, Warlocked and Dragon's Lair were online. I've got Super Mario Land (the one I originally wanted anyway for desk toy fun), and TMNT1 in the mail for some bs reason the sellers sat on and delayed (will down rate them for it.) I also have Project S-11 and the JP-Samurai Shodown 3 (new) conversion on the way from Japan. I also spotted King of the Fighters 96 (new) and Super Dodgeball both Japanese, both coming from Japan too from elsewhere.

One thing I never knew was that there are a few Japanese games that more take advantage of the Super Gameboy feature like KOF96 (KOF Heat of Battle) in that the sound effects are replaced with SNES samples in SGB mode which is cool. I don't expect to see any of the JP stuff for 2-3 weeks. It's weird as I really didn't intend to snap up all that junk, but the prices locally at a few retail spots were so cheap ($1-6) I just went for it. The most down on any game at this rate is I think just $10. I miss seeing deals on Nintendo branded cartridges where they're not shoved through the roof, and given how long there has been an opportunity to turn the GB/C stuff into scalper hell it's probably a safe bet at this rate it just won't be.

Now I just need to find a broken SP for someone give me free/cheap so I can harvest the front light out of it and mod my GBC to work away from a stupid lamp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't have much experience in the Game Boy family of games. Every time I look into the 'usual suspects' of Zelda or Pokemon games, everything is too expensive for my interest.

I do have Link's Awakening DX, that game is fantastic and may actually be the real secret best Zelda. I also enjoyed playing the GBA Final Fantasy conversions of FF IV and V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Certain games do cost more than $10, but not too many if you're not really impatient about it. I imagine though value depends on the person because of what Gameboy (pre-gba) is I could see someone thinking $10 was too much. There's no denying though the insane amount of good games mixed in with the turds you can buy in the $1-5 range that it feels like a portable version of how the NES was treated little more than about five years ago.

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For the Gameboy color I like Donkey Kong Country and Bubble Bobble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't know if I can do original Game Boy games, but I definitely would like to find some GBC games to try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well some of the old GB games are pretty crusty and basic, but there are some that are very well advanced looking and playing given the hardware. I'd do at the least a cursory look over any NES franchise title of the era slapped onto the old Gameboy or spinoffs and in particular the stuff that Capcom and Konami pushed as you'll be surprised. Some of their earlier ones like the first Castlevania, Gradius, or Mega Man are ok but not great, but they learned with those and the sequels are damn good enhancements worthy of anyone's time.

The GBC though really upped the ante depending what your tastes are or not. Both franchise titles and not too. Take some of the off the wall stuff I've listed already like Warlocked and take a peek, or even the genesis version of Aladdin stuffed on the GBC with surprising quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Huge number of good games for the Gameboys but a quick think raises a few titles -
    Super Mario Land
    Rayman
    Doom
    R-Type/DX
    Frogger
    Mr Nuts
    Pacman
    Afrerburst
    Donkey Kong
    Castelian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good selection, try Doom 2 out you'll be surprised as they unlike the one you listed (Jaguar port) converted the PC entirely except 1 stage was so huge they had to dice it into 2 stages with an entrance/exit in the middle of it.

Yesterday I went looking and found some nice ones too.
    Bomberman GB (sgb)
    Commander Keen (gbc only)
    Contra the Alien Wars (sgb)
    Pokemon Pinball (gbc hybrid)

...and the original gb cleaning kit too. They were except contra at $15 all $5 each and in amazing shape.

The week before I got when out of town on vacation, Tetris Advance for $3. JP only GBA game, stunning title I've wanted nearly a decade but never could find it. Due to the turd license of Tetris Worlds THQ had here in the non-JP region we got denied the game, and it's rated on top 10 tetris games of all times lists as a must. It has the normal marathon, but also timed junk, really screwball challenges, multiplayer, and other stuff and it saves high scores too. A few days ago I totally destroyed it with like 300~lines and around 600000pts. I had that game going a long time, speed maxed out at 20 and I just kept nailing it, bailing out of jams, and getting good pieces. I doubt I'd repeat it, but man it's a gem.