Thread: All the way to the future

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default All the way to the future

Part of getting bang for your buck in playing games and/or collecting is knowing your stuff and staying ahead of the spending curve. I thought it might be fun for anyone to throw out some games that are cheap now but you think will at some point catch on in a later trend and become expensive, and maybe help each other snap up some good stuff before it blows up.

A couple of games I think will eventually get big:

The Red Star (PS2)-right now it's only about $10 or so, but if you talk to anyone who's played it, they'll say it's one of the best games on the system. It's a YouTube video away from being a hot commodity.

Code of Princess (3DS)-its ties and resemblance to Guardian Heroes will likely cause this game to get big in the future. Right now it's about $20

Strider (PS3)-the Japanese market got a physical disc release of this awesome game, and if you install it on your US PS3, it plays the US version. Same for the Chronicles of Mystara disc. Right now it can be had pretty easily for around $25.

If anyone enjoys this, I'll try and throw out more predictions later. I'd love to hear some others!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Not sure this thread should be in classic gaming. Anyway I think the vita as so much niche japanese games being released in very low numbers, and these games usually get expensive. Stuff like tales of hearts, toukiden kiwami, deception IV, mind zero, etc. Basically all games released by atlus, xseed, nis america and aksys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly where to post this idea, as games could pop up from any generation... how long were Pocky & Rocky or Run Saber cheap, you know?

I think Space Griffon VF-9 on PS1 could also blow up soon. PS1 long box collecting has become a bit of a thing, and seriously... try to find it in good shape with the manual. It can be had for about $20 right now, but it's also an action RPG from Atlus, which has its own sub-set collectors. So, aside from PS1 collectors, you have 2 different sub-sections of collectors and a suprisingly limited quantity of copies in even good condition.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-20-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

I remember how hard it was to get MVC2 back in the day and how the price skyrocketed. And this time I think Capcom lost the licence for good and or probably won't be around much longer unless they can seriously push out some good games? Disney is also only interested in mobile crapware for Marvel games.
    Go, go Ackman!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker
    Code of Princess (3DS)-its ties and resemblance to Guardian Heroes will likely cause this game to get big in the future. Right now it's about $20.
    I don't see it happening. I've seen this game everywhere for less then 20 bones. Even owned 2 copies(from auction lots) myself before grabbing the cd/artbook edition. I've seen it in the eshop on sale for 14.99 from time to time. These niche Atlus games seem to be well distributed nowadays, not like past history. Especially in this age of digital downloading.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
    Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

I remember how hard it was to get MVC2 back in the day and how the price skyrocketed. And this time I think Capcom lost the licence for good and or probably won't be around much longer unless they can seriously push out some good games? Disney is also only interested in mobile crapware for Marvel games.
    Yeah, this is a really good game and its one I see people wanting in the future.

I could see Bandfuse becoming rare in the future. Right now its really cheap on ebay. Being a guitar/music game not alot of people bought it, plus Rocksmith is just way way better in every regard so nobody really wanted it. From the start Bandfuse was just an attempt to make money off the success of Rocksmith, but they failed and the people who made Bandfuse are out of business. Originally it retailed for like 60-70$ and was packaged in a fat box with a cable, I bought my copy new off ebay shipped for 20$ over a year ago.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 04-20-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I could see that one going either way, honestly, but Guardian Heroes was a $5 game for years before Treasure blew up in popularity, and the vast majority of its fans had no idea of how similar the games are when I've spoken to them. I'm really curious to see how the 3DS market goes, as it could well go nowhere like you said. If it does really grow up, though, I maintain Code of Princess will be worth paying attention to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest, I'm surprised Tatsunoko VS Capcom hasn't shot up yet since Capcom lost the license there too , making reprints/rereleases/updates impossible. I grabbed it for twenty bucks the moment I spotted it because I knew I would likely regret it if I didn't.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was going to predict the steel case Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii, but I just looked for the first time and it seems to already goes for stupid money. I purchased a copy new from Best Buy when they were selling for $19.99. Actually, I think that I purchased and mailed another copy to a friend BITD because they didn't have it in at his local Best Buy.

I wonder if the Limited Edition Golden Eye for the Wii that comes with the Gold classic controller will spike in the future? I purchased one from Kmart a few months ago for about 10 bucks.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-21-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hate to do this if it inspires shenanigans, but the new me just doesn't give a damn anymore really as I'm selling off my fluff dollar tables to buy pinball stuff.

Fair game would be any Atlus special edition/boxed stuff for the 3DS. Shin Megami Tensei 4 is disgustingly cheap ($20-25) right now even in superb condition and that extra stuff is super helpful(really the art/strategy guide book.) Code of PRincess I agree on too, especially if you have the added CD in the sleeve. I could see the Cave Story 3D game shoot up again, only original copies with the lenticular sleeve and manual since the cheap copies are just the box/art and game that gamestop had a hand in. I'd think any game in the special sleeve like even a common fighting game like Super SF4 should go up in those special cases. Other box sets since they're strongly limited from Square (Bravely Default, FF Theatrhythm Curtain Call, etc) too. On the Wii end, ignorantly(or not) on Nintendo's part, but physical copies of their games because they're not doing huge runs on them because of the trouble they're in, but also because they don't have to reduce the prices either on their digital side so more of those will move over time as the real ones dry up. If it isn't high enough already, that 2000 copies PS4 release of Retro City Rampage DX will surely go up, and the shortly upcoming Vita release which I'm sure is sold out if it went live already.

The way crap is so overly printed today around all the digital shleping and how fast stuff loses value now because few want to pay the crappy entrance fee you see the rapid decline in the cost of the goods far sooner than 10, 20, 30 years ago where they just stayed firm around sales (much like how Nintendo solely holds out doing it still on first party stuff mostly.) Games that are honestly limited. NOt 'collector's edition' lies of 100k copies, but true limited packaged deals where you have 2000, 5000, 10000 copies or so with like 500k-1M+ of the normals floating around, that'll be your money if you're in it to just make coin.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I could see One Piece: Romance Dawn(3DS) holding value in the future. Apparently they only printed 16,800 copies of it. They even numbered the cardboard sleeves. It still can be had for around retail price now. It's a boring ass rpg based on a weird anime, though. Nothing special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I would think the yakuza series,sure it has a cult following here.It does get the exposure on youtube and it's fans make a big deal about the series.It's obscure enough that over time prices will spike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Yeah, this is a really good game and its one I see people wanting in the future.

I could see Bandfuse becoming rare in the future. Right now its really cheap on ebay. Being a guitar/music game not alot of people bought it, plus Rocksmith is just way way better in every regard so nobody really wanted it. From the start Bandfuse was just an attempt to make money off the success of Rocksmith, but they failed and the people who made Bandfuse are out of business. Originally it retailed for like 60-70$ and was packaged in a fat box with a cable, I bought my copy new off ebay shipped for 20$ over a year ago.
    Lol I picked up a PS3 copy of Bandfuse from Gamestop for like $1. That game must have been horrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Lol I picked up a PS3 copy of Bandfuse from Gamestop for like $1. That game must have been horrible.
    Not necessarily. I picked up Duke Nukem Forever for $2 and I thought it was pretty good. It's just like every other Duke Nukem game I've played, so I honestly don't get why it was bashed so much.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    It requires a special instrument cable to play, so that may be the reason it was only a dollar. The cable needed is different than the Rocksmith cable (so you cant use the same cable for both games), and its 100% needed to play the game.

In some ways Bandfuse is horrible, but just in comparison to Rocksmith. Probably the biggest flaw is the song track selection, some good stuff many but crappy songs though, and many of the good songs are already available on Rocksmith.