Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
I guess I won't get another PSO again for a very long time. I swear sega could have killed Monster Hunter if they would have just kept the soul of the orginal PSO games and ported them to handhelds...not mobile.
Personally, I found what I played of the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Online 2 to be an abomination. It lacked all of the class and coolness of the original Phantasy Star Online v1 and v2. But if anyone really wants to play an official PC version of Phantasy Star Online 2 in English, there is always the Singaporean version.

Furthermore, I found Phantasy Star 0 (Zero) on the DS to be superb. You could really feel the influence of the LUNAR character designer and developers in Phantasy Star Zero. Plus it had such an excellent localization! If I were to have a game localized, I would hire the group which handled PSZ's translation & localization. It had such great writing/editing! And the music and story-boarding were great too.

I didn't have the hardware to play Phantasy Star Universe (the series) at the time of its release, but it looked terrible to me then and people at the time who I knew who really liked PSO told me it was quite bad. It looked so lame, I won't go back to buy nor play that spinoff series even now.

However, Phantasy Star Portable 1 and Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the PSP actually were pretty freakin' good from the demos I played which I had downloaded from PSN, so I'm definitely looking forward to playing those one day. As an extra, you can carry your saves from the demos of PSP1 and PSP2 into the full releases of Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2, so there are no worries about "wasting" the time invested in the demos.

As for myself, I continue to hope that the lady-designer of the original Phantasy Star will one day make an awesome new JRPG. If Igarashi and Inafune can make new games similar to their most famous creations, then I don't see why Rieko Kodama can't do the same.

See also "The Results Are In! Here Are the Spiritual Successors You’d Most Like to See | The Chi-Scroller".