Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No SEGA Booth at E3 2015

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I guess I won't get another PSO again for a very long time. I swear sega could have killed Monster Hunter if they would have just kept the soul of the orginal PSO games and ported them to handhelds...not mobile.
    Personally, I found what I played of the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Online 2 to be an abomination. It lacked all of the class and coolness of the original Phantasy Star Online v1 and v2. But if anyone really wants to play an official PC version of Phantasy Star Online 2 in English, there is always the Singaporean version.

Furthermore, I found Phantasy Star 0 (Zero) on the DS to be superb. You could really feel the influence of the LUNAR character designer and developers in Phantasy Star Zero. Plus it had such an excellent localization! If I were to have a game localized, I would hire the group which handled PSZ's translation & localization. It had such great writing/editing! And the music and story-boarding were great too.

I didn't have the hardware to play Phantasy Star Universe (the series) at the time of its release, but it looked terrible to me then and people at the time who I knew who really liked PSO told me it was quite bad. It looked so lame, I won't go back to buy nor play that spinoff series even now.

However, Phantasy Star Portable 1 and Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the PSP actually were pretty freakin' good from the demos I played which I had downloaded from PSN, so I'm definitely looking forward to playing those one day. As an extra, you can carry your saves from the demos of PSP1 and PSP2 into the full releases of Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2, so there are no worries about "wasting" the time invested in the demos.

As for myself, I continue to hope that the lady-designer of the original Phantasy Star will one day make an awesome new JRPG. If Igarashi and Inafune can make new games similar to their most famous creations, then I don't see why Rieko Kodama can't do the same.

See also "The Results Are In! Here Are the Spiritual Successors You’d Most Like to See | The Chi-Scroller".

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The whole Sega of Japan/Sega of America not getting along aside, Sega screwed itself with its post-Dreamcast strategy. Teaming up with Microsoft out of their Windows CE-Dreamcast partnership to put out a lot of great exclusives on a system that took too long to hit its stride... Gunvalkyrie never stood a chance Jet Set Radio Future, even as a pack-in got swept away to time. Outrun sequels (at least some of those came to PS2), Shenmue II, Panzer Dragoon Orta... how much broader of an audience could they have found on PS2... and then taking Billy Hatcher, PSO, and Skies of Arcadia to Gamecube? The entire world knew the PS2 was the leader, and while those other systems have their pluses, they really cut themselves out of the biggest audience with that strategy, and slowly lost clout by not being able to produce numbers in that environment, making their properties worth less and less.

Not to mention the totally mishandled Sega Ages line... what a mix of garbage and awesome, and they put possibly the worst group possible (aside from that kick-ass Alien Storm remake) on a disc for the west, while leaving the killer Gain Ground remake, the beautiful Phantasy Star I and II remakes, Dragon Force, Gunstar Heroes Treaure Box, Monster World Collection, Galaxy Force, Dynamite Deka...

Sega was making all kinds of interesting stuff, but they just never figured out what to do with it.