Thread: New Nintendo 3DS XL..Having trouble w/ 3D?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default New Nintendo 3DS XL..Having trouble w/ 3D?

So since around when the NEW 3DS XL launched, I've been having troubles with the "super stable 3D". After reading around the internet, other people have been experiencing the same thing. I've read all sorts of stuff like wearing glasses messes with it (I wear glasses), to the lighting in the room, and even people sending them in for repair.

I'm just here to say that the Nintendo site says it shouldn't need calibration, so I selected restore default setting in the calibrate super stable 3D settings menu. Now it works fine for me. Just figured I'd spread the word, in case anyone else was having trouble. It seems to be a common complaint with the system. It may be common knowledge by now, but figured DP could use helpful info like this.

Hope this helps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it just loses sync over time since the little camera setup up top there has to keep a view of the head in front to keep it stable. I was noticing recently it starting to go double vision off and on now and again and it got on my nerves so the other night I reset the thing and it hasn't done it since. I think the camera and the little red light there look for both the shape of your head, but also your eyes. If it sees a head but can't find the eyes it fouls up. A great test of that, turn your head 90 degrees right or left, then pop back to center, you'll see the 3D reset with a pop. I'm thinking over time, much like how the Wii motion plus add-on cube had the issue, there's a level of drift over time and needs a recalibration.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I see what you're saying. I also tried looking away and back at the screen and noticed it kind of pop back to where it should be. I was having a hard time at first, because when you first set it up, it almost makes it seem you should be calibrating it from the start. Restoring it to default and not touching the calibration seemed to be the trick all along.

From what I read online, some people were sending it out for repair and doing multiple exchanges from the store they brought it from. Those people were possibly messing with the calibration when they didn't need to or even should have in the first place, like myself.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that red light thing winked at me once. Kinda creepy, did Nintendo install a mini HAL 9000 in these N3DS's? It seems to come on at random. Maybe it's spying when you're connected to wifi...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it's a mix of both and Nintendo just not wanting to deal with the headache and swapping out the complaints (or the stores.) The fact is, if you look away it can't recognize where your eyes are, it'll do double vision on you, then correct when it can. And perhaps over weeks of use, the calibration may slide over time, and just needs a quick trip to the menu to reset it with a tap of the screen. I think that's really the big issue (non issue) with it.

And yes it's HAL 9000, it will eat your face in your sleep, keep it in another room, locked up away from other electronics.