Thread: Happy 20th Birthday Sega Saturn!

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Default Happy 20th Birthday Sega Saturn!

This past Monday marked the 20th anniversary of the US release of the Sega Saturn. Man, how time flies....I still remember walking into EBGames after work and the guys telling me, out of nowhere, they had the Saturn in stock. I took the train home, quickly got my money, went right back and got it the same day
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I was late to adopt it, but I fell in hard with the Saturn... it's probably my favorite of its generation. It has such an eclectic library.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

If only it's birthday had been in September....
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Absolutely love the library. I also feel more attached to it than the PlayStation, despite Playstation's wide and fairly decent library.

My Saturn is the first machine I go back to every time I ignore my game room with my classic games for any amount of time. Every time.

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Happy birthday Saturn!!! I never had the pleasure of being with you, but I know that you are good. Maybe someday I will find room for you in my life and find out what I was missing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmm at times I still miss it. I got one in 2001 when working at Midway, but by 2004/5 it was part of the over a dozen systems and over a 1000 games purged due to being laid off due to a shady deal and not being able to find work in good time. I really enjoyed the Japanese only full version Castlevania Noctourne In the Moonlight (SOTN) with the added pieces to places and a full area with boss and the ability to play all the players on PS1 you had to unlock. The arcade conversions of their racers were fantastic, never quite did figure out NiGHTS but enjoyed it. I had this cool action but strategic Japanese DBZ fighting game that was a blast to play and also this imported fighter pilot title too which was cool. I probably had 25-30 games, couldn't say what they were anymore for the most part but it was fantastic to have around.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember playing store demos of it back when it was new (Sonic R and Bug, I think), but didn't buy one then. I kind of always wanted one since I love underdog systems, and finally got one around 2008. I even managed to snag some great titles within my first year of ownership. It's got some of the best arcade ports of its time. N64 and PS1 can't touch it when it comes to processing 2D.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My absolute favorite system from 1999-2005 until the SNES came roaring back in my life early 2006.

Some of my fondest gaming memories involve the Saturn. I played a lot of cool games, met a lot of interesting cats and generally had the gaming time of my life. There was a certain magic to those early 2000s... the internet was still relatively young. Just a fun time to be a Saturn gamer.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I remember getting mine in the summer of 1997 on clearance for $25 at a Wal-Mart. I bought it to play the Virtua Cop games, which I'd fallen in love with at an arcade in Worlds of Fun in Kansas City in 1995. Over thenext year or two I ended up finding its awesome RPG and strategy games that became big collectibles, and that's what it became about for me for awhile, then shooters, then 2D fighters... it was astounding on all of those fronts (plus Sega Rally freaking rules). Somehow, though, over time, Enemy Zero somehow crept in and became my favorite game on the system. I also loved Lunacy, D, and The Mansion of Hidden Souls, but in the face of all of the system's genius, I just got so immersed in that flawed, atmospheric mess of a game.

What an awesome system... plus, one of my all-time favorite comics, Scud, somehow got a game from Sega even... I don't think I could ever love my Playstation or N64 the same way, no matter how awesome they are.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I never got into it until about 2011 or so when I found a system back to back for 2 weeks for super cheap on my weekly goodwill runs.
    both were pretty cheap and came with everything one was a model 1 the other a model 2. the domestic library seemed kind of lacking but a lot of the import games seemed interesting and not overly expensive.

my most recent import had 2 complete systems with it, one of which was a launch console that had some from a store called Chameleon. they were both labeled as junk however they don't have any problems with the exception of the dead CR2032 to keep the clock and such going.

i'll probably sell a few of them coming up soon

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was hyped for Saturnday. Just like Sonic 2sday and Mortal Monday. Had to blow an entire months pay(it's crazy to think back what minimum wage was) from Taco Bell on the thing when they decided to stealthily put it out early. Daytona was crack, no matter how poor the port was. Guardian Heroes and Astal were good times. I even liked Bug at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still like Bug, although I had the PC version of it back then. I got my Saturn a couple of years ago and while I only have a few games for it so far, I've really enjoyed all of them. One in particular I really like is Robotica. I like the idea of an FPS where the levels are randomized each time you play so you can't simply memorize the layout. I'd like to pick up Virtual Hydlide at some point for the same reason.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I was hyped for Saturnday. Just like Sonic 2sday and Mortal Monday. Had to blow an entire months pay(it's crazy to think back what minimum wage was) from Taco Bell on the thing when they decided to stealthily put it out early. Daytona was crack, no matter how poor the port was. Guardian Heroes and Astal were good times. I even liked Bug at the time.
    I worked at Taco Bell around that time. As I recall, I was making a whopping $4.75/hour back then. Damn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I bought my Saturn I want to say in the late-late 90's. Blockbuster had purchased Hollywood Video's(?) products and were selling them cheap. I bought a Saturn and some games for $40. My then wife didn't like I bought a new system when I was supposed to get the used copy of Yoshi's Story I saw there (I didn't see it in the used bin, though I admit I didn't look that hard in the pile as the Saturn sale grabbed a hold of me).

To soften things I went back, couldn't find Yoshi's Story but bought Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade. It was like digital crack to her. I later got Yoshi's Story for a better price without the rental stickers.

I never got rid of that thing. I modded it so that CD-Rs could play in it (was my first console mod), got the Action Replay for it to play the D&D Collection, a light gun and such.

It now resides at my ex's house, probably still sitting in the basement where I left it. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Wow, the Saturn birthday caught me by surprise!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Happy birthday to the most underrated console by sega.I was a early adopter of the console to i remember it's pack-in being vf and astal.I also remember enjoying astal more then vf.I still have the console and a ton of games for it.Good times indeed,plus losing countless hours playing saturn bomberman and dukem nukem 3D online through the netlink.When i think of the saturn it's these games.

Radiant Silvergun
    Saturn Bomberman
    Virtual ON
    VF2
    Sega Rally
    Vampire Savior
    X-Men Vs Street Fighter
    Cyberbots
    Princess Crown
    Dragon Force
    Shining Force III
    Guardian Heroes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a Saturn in 1995, and it is still my favorite system.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com