Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Were fatalities pretty much the only reason Mortal Kombat ever became popular?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    I like martial arts movies and bought Dead or Alive on a recommendation. If there was anything of note in the movie I would remember. Forgettable plot and sub par martial arts choreography.
    Yeah, it's a shame what happened to Cory Yuen. The guy's a legend in HK. He's been reduced to trash like this and Man With the Iron Fists.... He really sucks now.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I like Dead or Alive. It's not good or anything, but it's cheesy fun.

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099 View Post
    Myself, my friends, and everyone else I talked to who knew of the films.

I have not seen the second SH film, but the first one is pretty close to the original game, other than the main character being changed from a man to a woman and Pyramid Head's inclusion. Just what exactly did you think was so 'fucking horrible' about it?
    OMG, practically everything about that movie was awful. I actually saw it in the theatre and I NEVER see movies in the theatre, but I'm such a Silent Hill fan that I said fuck it and went. As for what's "fucking horrible" about it, it made like zero sense. I'm not talking about inconsistencies between the game and the film, I don't care about those, I'm just talking about how pretty much everything in the film just didn't make any sense at all. I haven't watched it in forever, but some things I totally recalled were how:

You have a kid who chronically sleep walks (TO A CLIFF no less!) and you don't lock her indoors, or mind her at night!? Seriously?

On the brink of death she screams out "SILENT HILL!" repeatedly and you actually take her there (why!? it's clearly terrifying to her), and you don't tell her father/your husband about it. the place is toxic, dangerous, and illegal to enter, and you bring a child there?

You get stopped by a cop on the way to a dangerous, horrible place that you shouldn't be going AND YOU FLEE FOR NO REASON! Seriously? Why?

A child is probably being kidnapped by a crazy women and the cop doesn't call for back up? Isn't that some Amber alert type shit?

The people in the town killed a little girl for no reason than she's fatherless (was there another reason?). They say she was a witch, or something, but she never did anything 'witchy' that I recall. And why didn't they just kill her at birth if being a bastard is such a terrible thing?

The cop basically commits suicide for no reason. She could have escaped with the mother but she stays on the other side of the door in that scene where she gets overtaken and abducted by the miners. That was just really, REALLY annoyingly stupid to me.

The jump scares through out the movie were also trite, but that's just a knit pick. There were a bunch of other lame things that I just don't recall right off, but over all the film was awful. It would have been a lot better if they didn't try SO hard to include so much pointless shit. Really, less would have been more for a film like this. It just came across as really convoluted, and the story just didn't seem to make any sense.

The first film was a fucking MASTERPIECE compared to the second one though! My god! It's truly one of the worst big budget Hollywood films ever made! Do yourself a favor and watch that shit, but (if you drink or get high) make sure you're plenty tipsy when you do.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-19-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Prince of Persia actually was a very good movie, even if it was a mild stretch with it being based up on the old game.

Unless you're thinking of some Japanese Silent Hill movie I can't think of a good one, but the first MK movie I really enjoyed. I think taking a pot shot at either of the Tomb Raider games is a bit much, they're like Indiana Jones with tits and modern.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Unless you're thinking of some Japanese Silent Hill movie I can't think of a good one
    Right!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The violence helped its popularity immensely, but it was also a very easy fighter to pick up and play, and it had really unique and nice graphics. Killer Instinct came along a few years later with a similar approach and did extremely well, except with less violence. KI had its music going for it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

KI was quite violent too, but the CGI visuals, the 3D/2D mix going off buildings and such, and then it's super combo strings of pain and death really carried it as well along with a lineup of pretty unique characters in the ever flooded world of fighters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The blood and death made it infamous and famous at the same time,the fatalities where just the cherry on the gore cake.I think it would of certainly flopped without any of that although some of the character like scorpian and Subzero do still seem popular even today.So maybe it would not of been a Rise Of The Robots / Pit Fighter style failiure

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The fatalities were a big part, no doubt, or else sales of the Genesis versions wouldn't have so ridiculously blown the SNES one away, but it also had cool character designs, an old school kungfu movie sort of storyline, and for its time the use of digitized actors was also a point in its favor, made it look a lot different than SF and people were ready for something like that.