Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retro Freak emulation console thoughts

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The difference with the RF over the R5 I have an issue with where I don't agree is the lack of the NES slot, that'll hurt it outside of Asian markets (and also charging extra for spare parts that should be part of it allowing the use of normal controllers.
    I agree that the lack of an NES slot is limiting, it should have had one if it can play Famicom games. Maybe the system wasn't aimed for people outside of Japan? Being physically compatible with any North American games is a coincidence if they're just focusing on the Japanese market. As for the controllers, it depends on what this system will cost new. The R5 was pretty expensive when it came out, if this new one is around $40 new then charging extra for adapters is more reasonable.

And then the game issue, you dump it to the box, that's the same as using an Ouya to me, you're removing the physical media and just using an oversize flash kit in a box.
    Which is exactly how I see the R5. Emulation is emulation, if you're not using physical hardware to play the games there's no difference. Plenty of carts have special enhancement chips, not that they'll be used with any of these consoles.

The only way the R5 is crippled is if you're into piracy or laziness because it won't allow rom dumps (without hacking) and it makes you have the effort of using and owning the actual game to use it.
    It's crippled in that it's intentionally limited. They could have easily included internal memory to store games but they chose not to, even the Wii has storage options for virtual console games. You might as well call people lazy for using battery saves instead of always entering passwords.

I personally collect PC games. I enjoy having physical copies of the games. I can play Wolfenstein 3D or Duke Nukem 3D without needing the discs every time, it doesn't take away from the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Like I said I don't want to drive this thread into the dirt with this so I'll just skip to the last piece.

Today at half price books I saw something you'd probably drool over if you love complete old PC games. 5 1/4 in stuff -- CIB Victory Road, Guerilla War, Karnov, and Nightmare on Elm St for DOS/Tandy (all arcade/nes ports.) They were a buck a piece. They seem most obscure, can't seem to find sales data on them so I left them there since I can't play them on this thing at all but man I was tempted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hate having to leave CIB big box oldschool games on shelves. I would love to be able to grab them and find them good homes. However, there's not much sales data for a lot of them out there and if I can't BST them away, they take up too much damn space.

It just seems like such a shame when they're sometimes sealed and in great shape.

Is there a good rarity or pricing guide for these old PC games somewhere? I'd love to hook someone up with something desired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If there is one I'd like that link too, I'd go grab those 4 games if they had some value.