Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man Legacy Collection (PlayStation 4, XBOX One, Windows, 3DS)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wait Gamespot does cash grab?! You don't say. Kane and Lynch wave hi-zies! (as does Gerstmann from the unemployment line for honesty.) Capcom knows they have a f'd up emulator emulating another engine to run the game on the various systems and you need a AAA media sell out to help deflect some of the honest complaining going on in and outside of review sites.

I've never heard of the complaining about MM4 being bad because it wasn't on SNES. Seems like crybaby behavior of the period, or later era complainers of now just looking at dates. It makes a LOT of sense for 4 and 5 to be on the NES as they had a solid usable engine and with those years next to no system sales yet on the SNES while the NES was still kicking some ass despite gains by the Genesis. The only one that surprised me was MM6, even Capcom USA decided to be jerks about that and tried to kill it but NOA wouldn't have it. I wish NOA still had those testicles now given the A games they throw under the bus or halfass release digitally to minimal sales.

I think complaining about the Japanese MM rereleases on the PS1 is fairly petty whoever does the review. I get the mental track on going there, but it still is petty. Digs at the emulation, now that 100% I could get into, and even perhaps tweaking the emulator like some on PC do that will get rid of the flicker/sprite drop out issues of the NES would have been wise too. Those Complete Works are on an entirely different tier. Those were physical releases, and it would have been some HUGE balls even in Japan to charge a full price game there to just have a cute menu and the old 8bit game. Clearly they'd throw everything they could in there seeing they had to justify the price since they didn't take the easy route and put all the games on one disc, but they did 6 instead. This modern collection is all on one download, card(3ds), or disc (sony/ms) when they're all released and done between now and winter.

Sad truth is I'm hooked. I'll buy this despite owning the carts still just because I'd like a physical version of it for my 3DS so Winter I shall wait for. Given the bitching online and the added months to refine the game, I feel that unless Capcom really does live up to its perceived don't give a crap behavior, the bugs in all versions digital and not will be ironed out by the time the 3ds cards and discs are printed as that would be a real mess.

...and if someone wants to gift me it on steam I'm more than willing to try these bugs out (tanooki_suit) and yeah I know original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Reviews like that just come with the territory. The mainstream press and reviews for classic compilations rarely has made for a good combination.

And GameStop also has a reputation for wanting to be different. If they know they're "supposed" to like something, they like to do the exact opposite from time to time just to stir the fanboys up and boost their traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Given the bitching online and the added months to refine the game, I feel that unless Capcom really does live up to its perceived don't give a crap behavior, the bugs in all versions digital and not will be ironed out by the time the 3ds cards and discs are printed as that would be a real mess.
    I don't think there's much worry that they won't fix this. It largely works fine and just needs a bit of a tuneup.

Going to be pretty shameful if they let these audio irregularities stand though...

I've never heard of the complaining about MM4 being bad because it wasn't on SNES.
    I imagine its biggest sales impediment is the usual issue when an excellent but late release occurs. So much of your customer base has moved on and is preoccupied with looking forward, that it's all but ignored and inadvertently falls through the cracks despite not deserving such a fate.

Mega Man 4 couldn't of done too badly though, as evidenced by two more follow-ups appearing here for the Famicom/NES (Although Europe missed out on the final game and it took Nintendo of America to get it published here; Something that could never happen with today's NOA...).

I think complaining about the Japanese MM rereleases on the PS1 is fairly petty whoever does the review.
    While I think that it's much more important to him than for Capcom's average prospective customer here, I still think it's valid to point it out. Despite everything that's well done here (And it sure seems to be fine beyond an audio quirk that almost certainly will be patched out and a few minor nitpicks like a single song that's oddly absent in the music player), it's still a step backwards in some areas.

I don't see the harm in defending this since it's focused on what's arguably Mega Man's finest hour and does justice to it. But I equally don't see the harm in pointing out that it's far from the definitive package one might've hoped after those PS1 rereleases, Mega Man Anniversary Collection and the creation of Mega Man 9 & 10 a half decade or so ago.

Would've been nice to see something that except for the purists, could've made everything obsolete and included all the main entries in the main Mega Man franchise (Including the Game Boy classics and if we're really dreaming, a port of the PSP remake).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-30-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tanooki, go read that review I linked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I did read it, my part of the post to start was sarcasm. GS still sucks. That reviewer was a mega man noob and was crying about some petty junk and overlooked the bug issues in the game too that others have been pointing out.

I see we agree on MM though Leo, more could have been done like the full line of numbered games including gameboy, but for what is there and that price its good and I dont really think needs to be dumped on for it when there are clearly problems that do need to be nitpicked and hung over capcom until theyre fixed.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I dont see what the big deal about this is. This aint the first time the mega man games have been re-released and it certainly wont be the last.
    If you want to call it a 'cash grab' I guess thats fair but these game companies have been doing it forever. I dont see the point in getting upset or even dissecting the game to such an extent. Its just 6 emulated nes games. Why would anyone expect this collection to be better than playing the original NES carts?

Capcom could have made something great here by simply editing the level designs making some kind of offical hack but no, just the original 6 mega man games. It just seems kinda boring.. like re-releasing Sonic or Super Mario bros. as downloads again.

And yeah that article is really stupid. The writer must have gotten paid or something
    Last edited by bb_hood; 08-30-2015 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I dont see what the big deal about this is. This aint the first time the mega man games have been re-released and it certainly wont be the last.
    If you want to call it a 'cash grab' I guess thats fair but these game companies have been doing it forever. I dont see the point in getting upset or even dissecting the game to such an extent. Its just 6 emulated nes games. Why would anyone expect this collection to be better than playing the original NES carts?

Capcom could have made something great here by simply editing the level designs making some kind of offical hack but no, just the original 6 mega man games. It just seems kinda boring.. like re-releasing Sonic or Super Mario bros. as downloads again.

And yeah that article is really stupid. The writer must have gotten paid or something
    If you ask me, troll logic is at play here. They want to downplay the actual facts. Such as:
    People whose sole gaming devices are PS4 or Xbox One, can't play any previous collections.
    Anniversary Collection never released for PAL users
    That rom files can and have been used for purposes other than emulating them

Not to mention insisting this is conventional emulation despite what the developers said, then painting them as dishonest.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Why was Action 52 in the pile of 'favorite NES games'? Was that supposed to be a joke?
    I'm glad someone caught that in-joke. It's a reference to this article I wrote on the top 100 Famicom/NES games of all time.

https://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/...-games-list-1/

I've never heard of the complaining about MM4 being bad because it wasn't on SNES. Seems like crybaby behavior of the period, or later era complainers of now just looking at dates. It makes a LOT of sense for 4 and 5 to be on the NES as they had a solid usable engine and with those years next to no system sales yet on the SNES while the NES was still kicking some ass despite gains by the Genesis. The only one that surprised me was MM6, even Capcom USA decided to be jerks about that and tried to kill it but NOA wouldn't have it. I wish NOA still had those testicles now given the A games they throw under the bus or halfass release digitally to minimal sales.
    Magazines, the internet, even people like Jeremy Parish have mentioned it. I'm not saying that I believe any of that, but the fact that 4-6 were NES games is a big reason a lot of people think of the game as not being worth playing. Which is simply wrong.

I think complaining about the Japanese MM rereleases on the PS1 is fairly petty whoever does the review. I get the mental track on going there, but it still is petty.
    Not complaining about the Japanese PS1 set, complaiming how Legacy Collection is inferior to the Japanese PS1 set. That collection was and is simply better than the Legacy Collection for numerous reasons, not least of which is the fact that they provide superior emulation, optional means of enhancing the games, and tons of bonus extra features the Legacy Collection mostly lacks.

Digs at the emulation, now that 100% I could get into, and even perhaps tweaking the emulator like some on PC do that will get rid of the flicker/sprite drop out issues of the NES would have been wise too. Those Complete Works are on an entirely different tier. Those were physical releases, and it would have been some HUGE balls even in Japan to charge a full price game there to just have a cute menu and the old 8bit game. Clearly they'd throw everything they could in there seeing they had to justify the price since they didn't take the easy route and put all the games on one disc, but they did 6 instead. This modern collection is all on one download, card(3ds), or disc (sony/ms) when they're all released and done between now and winter.
    Capcom has the source code for the Rockman Complete Works on file. They could've simply ported their previous work, did a minimal amount of work required to create a new interface and translation for the menus and called it a day. They could have done less work by recycling their old material and it would have offered more and better results.

Sad truth is I'm hooked. I'll buy this despite owning the carts still just because I'd like a physical version of it for my 3DS so Winter I shall wait for. Given the bitching online and the added months to refine the game, I feel that unless Capcom really does live up to its perceived don't give a crap behavior, the bugs in all versions digital and not will be ironed out by the time the 3ds cards and discs are printed as that would be a real mess.

...and if someone wants to gift me it on steam I'm more than willing to try these bugs out (tanooki_suit) and yeah I know original.
    I should also mention that I wasn't given a download code by Capcom or any outlet. I paid for this collection myself. This, despite the fact that I own the original games for NES, Famicom, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Xbox GameCube and PS3 previously. This is the ninth time I've bought these games. The challege mode is cool and I like Megaman so much I'm willing to have even an inferior collection on my PS4. My assesstment isn't that the collection is bad, it's just disappointing. It could've been so much better had Capcom just re-used their work from 16 years ago rather than hand it off to Digital Eclipse to start fresh.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Does anyone know if these problems are present in the Steam Windows PC version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahhh multiquote... I don't hold much interest in any online reviewer or so called expert (like Parish) when it comes to this stuff. I go by what I know, my experiences, and others I've known with a game when I want to dig into it. Other than I've heard some wonder why MM never hit the SNES earlier, and I did agree by the time MM6 dropped, I never heard of them being hated which is so childish. The only magazines I had experience with in that era was NP and off and on EGM which loved to make up crap about Nintendo so I ignored it best I could since they sucked up to Sega, then Sony when they bought the favor.

The legacy collection here I'm not sure what to make of it. I know what Digital Eclipse is doing with the games, so it's hard to say if it's converted or double emulated. It's just weird. You can an original game, and then you run it through this tool to make it become a game for that tool. Then you take the retooled game and run it through yet another tool (or emulator?) which then allows the game to run on whatever hardware they like. It's confusing.

I have no idea if that's true or not with the collection you said and the source, but if you're correct, then I think the truth of it here is Capcom may have had little to no interest in the project at all. Perhaps it was all Code Monkeys/Digital Eclipse that approached Capcom to use that conversion tool and then throw those basics at it just to get it out there as a cash grab. There's some probability to that especially considering it wasn't even going to be physical to start, then the demand for it got it made, many months later, and now we're seeing this guinea pig beta test mess now with the bad audio and things.

I think they need to fix the bugs but it's a great collection for what it is and at that price. Sure they could have and maybe should have put the 7-8 (if not 9+10) and the 2 arcade titles like the Gamecube had on there, but I think they were going for a budget package and Capcom greedily probably figured with MM9+10 still for sale and the others they'd probably have to up it to $50 or more and catch crap from reviewers and arm chair online fanboys giving them crap for that instead.

I don't have it, I'd like to on PC, but I can not justify buying it twice since I'll get it on 3DS. I put it on my Steam wishlist and flashed it on facebook to family as a non-subtle hint as I NEVER did this before ever, but I have to admit I'm curious and motivated. Truth be told I owned 2-5 as a kid/teen, but 1 I got a couple years later used at a local shop, 6 too, and I've NEVER finished 6. Not really sure why but I have not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Parish fancies himself a gaming historian but needs to hit the books for a few more years. His knowledge of many, many, many things outside of his comfort zone is severely lacking.

Re: Dgitial Eclipse doing something interest with ROMs as source files.

That's really neat for a fan project or an experiment.

They should still deliver a higher quality product if they want people to pay for it.

Nz17: The best part is that if it's not to your liking on Steam, you can just get a refund. Give it a shot, I guess?
    Last edited by sfchakan; 08-30-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who is Parish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    The audio problems don't appear to occur on the PC version, but the video is washed out, and it is extremely fussy about controller inputs. Many generic HID controllers simply won't be recognized by the game. Compatibility is shot to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Who is Parish?
    Jeremy Parish. Gaming Journalist. Former host of the excellent Retronauts podcast. Dude knows his stuff and carries usually the correct opinions on stuff. Respectable guy. ALthough there are times when I am directly at odds with the conclusions he reaches. This is one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Similar audio issues are also present in the PC version.

Doesn't look washed out to me, but maybe you have to do a side-by-side comparison to really see it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-30-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Source: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2015/0...fixes-are.html

Capcom USA's Ray Jimenez sounds off on the Steam forums:

Hi all,

First off, I would like to apologize on behalf of Capcom and Digital Eclipse on the issues that some of you are having with Mega Man Legacy Collection. Both Capcom and Digital Eclipse have been watching the forums and are aware of the issues that are going on. We are currently collating data and in the process of coming up with fixes. The team at Digital Eclipse are extremely hard working, but they are a small indie team and it will take a while for fixes to be made and sent through QA.

So, please bear with us. I hope some of the work arounds your fellow Steam users have found can help for now, but we strive to have these fixed naturally. Please check in on this thread from time to time as I’ll use it to update you on our timeline and what fixes are going up.

The game's producer, Frank Cifaldi, adds [on Twitter]:

Hey, MMLC players: We're monitoring threads and are aware of issues. As Capcom says, fixes are coming. I can't get more specific than that.

@Omaewamo there are two separate audio issues, the crackly distortion is mostly exclusive to ps4. we suspect the popping is related too.

@Omaewamo the incorrect notes are exclusive to xbox one and pc, and we have a fix already

@Omaewamo yep, that specific issue has to do with the particular way ps4 handles audio vs. microsoft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well at least they're on it, but at the same time vague enough you're looking at least at probably nearly a month for a fix to be submitted for acceptance if not baking in a queue for being pushed live, but likely longer. I hope that fits with what I said about them using the downloads as a guinea pig test for that weird program DE is using so by the time the retail versions are good to go the bugs are gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I hope they'll also address the oversaturated dull colors. The sound issue is intermittent, but the games are CONSTANTLY the wrong colors.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I'm reviving this thread because others seem intent on changing the "Mega Man Anniversary Collection" thread into the "Mega Man Legacy Collection, Take 2" thread. You know who you are, so please keep all discussion of Anniversary Collection in its thread, and all discussion of Legacy Collection in this thread. Thanks.

*ahem*

So, that 2016 physical release of Mega Man Legacy Collection - will it be on just 3DS, or will it be on PlayStation 4, XBOX One, Windows, and/or 3DS? And speaking of which, as it will include all the bug fixes released by then, do you think those fixes will be enough to bump up its "review score" by a full point on the 1 to 10 scale?

(Please, for the love of all that is good, don't mention anything about Rockman Complete Works or any other Mega Man game releases other than the originals and MMLC.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

(Please, for the love of all that is good, don't mention anything about Rockman Complete Works or any other Mega Man game releases other than the originals and MMLC.)
    Ugh yes agreed. As to your question I read that the console makers versions (nintendo, sony, ms) would be a physical release. I think Steam is just it for PC since Capcom doesn't seem to care much for GoG (only SF Alpha 2 there) which writes off a do it yourself physical version.

I think if the reviewers were honest and it did have any add-on DLC and bug fixes at that point they should do a second review, or at the least, re-post and re-edit the original one changing the parts of the article damning it for bugs, noting the physical release, and re-scoring it based upon the true 'final' packaged up release. We don't need anymore poor sounding reviews that are dull and oversaturated by rambling on about other compilation packages as justification to not review the game on its own merits.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I've finally finished my exhaustive review of Mega Man Legacy Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAelRWDWAdw
    Gonna sneak those videos into any thread you can outside of the video forum, ain't ya?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It isn't to shoehorn anything in -- the video review is very relevant here. None of the major review sites or even other forums even bring up the shortcomings of Legacy Collection when compared to the Rockman Complete Works. They act like this is the first and only time the Megaman classic series has been collected, or if they do compare, they bring up the shotty Megaman Anniversary Collection.