1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default RARE Replay Coming To Xbox One In August

So this is out, and from what I can tell, it blows. The emulation is garbage (the audio on slalom is appalling) and the xbone controller is awful for these types of games.

The visual presentation of the nes games is pretty sad, too. You can not adjust screen position or size, and cannot add scanlines. There is a "crt" filter that intentionally curves the screen, emulates composite video and looks like a monitor that needs to be recapped.

I'll have to bust out my Cronus max and use my qanba stick just to play any of these. I guess the one nice thing is being able to play conkers without hooking up my n64, but I haven't tried it yet. My n64 is rgb modded, and the way things are going here, probably looks better on the original hardware.

This is really sad. Rare is special to a lot of us. I'm particularly fond of their nes games, which are among the best-looking on the console, but this rushed crap does the legacy a disservice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    There is a "crt" filter that intentionally curves the screen, emulates composite video and looks like a monitor that needs to be recapped.
    Didn't you get the memo? There apparently were never nice CRT's and this is how the "experts" that haven't played on one in years now think they all looked.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? There apparently were never nice CRT's and this is how the "experts" that haven't played on one in years now think they all looked.
    Aah, yes, I forgot. That's what happens when you have 23 year olds making these games.

Another classic game comp made by people who don't give a shit about classic games. This is why my Xbox one collects dust. Every game I Buy on it manages to suck one way or another.

I'll give them sunset overdrive. But there's no excuse for it running at 30fps.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rather have 1 good new game from rare than 30 old ones.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I think I already own the games I actually care about in the set.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was skeptical but after playing around with it for a few hours I am pretty impressed. The N64 games have translated over very well. For $23 (Best Buy GCU) it was a great pick up. I am never going to pay the price for Conker BFD is going for now so at least now I can play it. It feels like one of those games that I remember as being amazing but just isn't. The jokes fall flat for me now. IDK maybe I just grew up a little bit. The platforming is still pretty tight but the camera can be a pain in the ass. Over all I recommend it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

There's already a thread about this in the modern gaming forum. You can read my thoughts there.

Spoiler alert: I think it's a pile of shit.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's already a thread about this in the modern gaming forum. You can read my thoughts there.

Spoiler alert: I think it's a pile of shit.

Yea, you are right. I should get a Sony PVM and RGB mod all my systems and then buy all these games individually. That would be easier and cheaper to stroke my nostalgia boner. This collection does exactly what it is supposed to and that is to let us relive some of the older games we enjoyed for a reasonable price. If Nintendo or Sony released something like this each game would cosst $4.99 or more. There is a ton of value here and if you already have most of these games then obviously there is nothing here for you.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Rare Replay. So what are your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Yea, you are right. I should get a Sony PVM and RGB mod all my systems and then buy all these games individually. That would be easier and cheaper to stroke my nostalgia boner. This collection does exactly what it is supposed to and that is to let us relive some of the older games we enjoyed for a reasonable price. If Nintendo or Sony released something like this each game would cosst $4.99 or more. There is a ton of value here and if you already have most of these games then obviously there is nothing here for you.
    You could get the same experience you get here free with name or nestopia, and use a better controller. It's not a nostalgia boner, it's about what you get for your money. I love the idea of the devs still getting paid for these games, but if you want me to pay $30 for it, you should at least do something with it that I can't get elsewhere.

It's a lost opportunity. Microsofts game room on the 360 does it right. There are tons of filtering and aspect ratio options that look pretty good. The best example of how this kind of thing should be done is final fight: double impact. You can set all sorts of filters and options to emulate a crt, including phosphor glow. AND it's online enabled.

It's nice to have a convenient way to play conkers I guess, but the other 360 games included in the bundle are all readily available elsewhere. I would imagine you could get a physical copy of kameo or perfect dark zero for less than $10 off eBay.

If you don't already have these games in physical form (none of which are difficult find or expensive, except for conkers) then you get a very convenient package, but not much else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Any chance of getting a merged topic? Doesn't make much sense to split this one in two.

You could get the same experience you get here free with name or nestopia, and use a better controller. It's not a nostalgia boner, it's about what you get for your money. I love the idea of the devs still getting paid for these games, but if you want me to pay $30 for it, you should at least do something with it that I can't get elsewhere.
    At least the 360 side is well done thanks to Microsoft. While I have Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, and Kameo in their native 360 disc format, this still won't run me any more than buying the XBLA titles and the missing retail releases that I've yet to add.

Other than the hub area in Nuts and Bolts that has significant slowdown, the 360 emulation handles the Rare titles well.

I'm glad to see this selling and reviewing well though, flaws and all. We needed something like this, even if it's less than perfect, to help jump start the classic gaming compilation concept on modern consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

I'm glad to see this selling and reviewing well though, flaws and all. We needed something like this, even if it's less than perfect, to help jump start the classic gaming compilation concept on modern consoles.
    I agree. Nintendo? Where's our vs system and coin-op comp? And whoever owns the rights to the irem stuff needs to let 'me loose on the world.

A lot of old arcade companies are sitting on huge backlogs of amazing games that have yet to resurface. A toaplan comp (done well) would have me salivating. Unfortunately I think they were 3rd party developers for other companies most of the time, so it would be tough legally to gather all those games up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone I know is having a peculiar issue with this.

He prefers to be offline and only connect to Xbox Live when he absolutely must, such as when he makes an uncommon purchase of a digital exclusive. Otherwise, he likes to remain offline as he's playing. He has installed Rare Replay and downloaded what needs to be downloaded off Xbox Luve (i.e., all the 360 game files for that half of the collection). But when he goes and plays one of the emulated 360 titles offline, it refuses to save his game afterwards.

Is this some strange Rare mandate that these games always had back on the 360? Or is it Microsoft's emulation setup that's responsible for refusing to allow him to save his 360 game on a XB1 while offline?

Is there anything that can be done for it such as disabling cloud saving? While I'm grasping for straws, that's the only remotely possible thing I can think of that might be causing an issue. Yet I don't know how you'd go about doing so or even why the inability to connect to the cloud to upload a save would cause the local HDD save to fail when offline.

Modern gaming...

I agree. Nintendo? Where's our vs system and coin-op comp? And whoever owns the rights to the irem stuff needs to let 'me loose on the world.

A lot of old arcade companies are sitting on huge backlogs of amazing games that have yet to resurface. A toaplan comp (done well) would have me salivating. Unfortunately I think they were 3rd party developers for other companies most of the time, so it would be tough legally to gather all those games up.
    Good posts like this one are why we need a like button around here.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-15-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm been enjoying what I've played so far. My one gripe was trying to get the multiplayer component to work on the Nes version of Battletoads. The arcade version of Battletoads worked fine in multiplayer though. I still have a lot of ground to cover as far as all the other 25 games I haven't touched yet.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I'm been enjoying what I've played so far. My one gripe was trying to get the multiplayer component to work on the Nes version of Battletoads. The arcade version of Battletoads worked fine in multiplayer though. I still have a lot of ground to cover as far as all the other 25 games I haven't touched yet.
    From what I remember of the nes game, you just push start on controller 2 at the title screen, like an sms game. Give that a try.