Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea: Which versions to get?

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea: Which versions to get?

I have the option of getting the PS1 original on PSN or the PSP version. I know the PSN one can be played on both PSP and PS3, and that although the PSP version has an updated translation and new stuff, it has horrid load times. But is it worth it? Which one should I get? I'm into strategy games lately. Also, same question about the first Disgaea. There's a PSP port and the original on PSN. Let me know which I should get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    I have the option of getting the PS1 original on PSN or the PSP version. I know the PSN one can be played on both PSP and PS3, and that although the PSP version has an updated translation and new stuff, it has horrid load times. But is it worth it? Which one should I get? I'm into strategy games lately. Also, same question about the first Disgaea. There's a PSP port and the original on PSN. Let me know which I should get.
    I don't think you can play Disgaea 1 on PSP through the PSN purchase. It's not listed on the site at least. I bought it again on PSN and have it n my PS3. It plays fine enough that I didn't notice any major issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's also the DS port of Disgaea, but I hear some people didn't like how the sprites were scaled. Some comparative info here:
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nip...ipponichi2.htm

Also, it looks like Tactics just came out for Android:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....FFT_en2&hl=en

Apparently there's a really nice comprehensive patch for the PSX version that adds much of the nice features of the PSP version:
    http://ffhacktics.com/patches.php
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

With regards to Disgaea:
    -DS version includes all DLC from the PSP release in the physical game at (obviously) no extra charge plus an additional playable character and optional touchscreen controls. The minuses are that most of the voice acting is gone (which is a plus for some people), with what's left being battle cries (a mix of Japanese ones and English ones) and some story-based English voice acting at the beginning and end of chapters.
    -PSP version is missing the DS's extra content, and most but not all DLC must be purchased separately from the main game. However, like the DS version, it also includes the large, extra batch of content which is "Etna mode."
    -PS2 version has the least content of all, but it is made for the "big screen" so it feels better experienced on a TV and a stereo instead of a handheld console's small screen and tinny speakers. Playing the DS or PSP version on head/ear phones/buds can make up for the weak speakers on the handhelds, but hooking them up to a "proper" speaker setup is even better. Another plus to the PS2 version is that it is the only version of Disgaea to include the original English Etna's voice actress's voice acting.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The PSP version of FFTactics doesn't have horrible load times, it has horrible slow down. Whenever using any skill in the game, including items, the animation speed slows down to around 40% of its original speed. How they ever released the game in this condition beats me. You can however download a patch that will allow the game to be playable at normal speed.

Which version of Disgaea to get? Easy. You don't. The Disgaea series is garbage and gets worse with each iteration.

FFTactics is one of the best TRPGs you can get, but if you want others, here are some recommendations of good games. For PSX there's Brigandine, Brigandine Grand Edition(JPN import or JPN PSN,) Tactics Ogre, Kartia the Word of Fate, Vandal Hearts, and Arc the Lad Collection(specifically Arc the Lad 2. For PS2 I'd say Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits and Growlanser 2(strategy RPG.) PSP there's Yggdra Union(also on GBA,) Wild ARMs XF(even despite its one major flaw,) and Tactics Ogre.

I listed the PSP version of Tactics Ogre because on paper it's better than the amazing PSX/Super Famicom game, but then there's the flaws it has like armor and weapons equippable only by level, every class in the game is locked at level one when you first acquire, requiring you to have that party member to wait in the corner so they're not ohko'd. Just got the holy knights, Vice, and Kachua on your party and ready to use them? Just make sure to grind the classes levels from 1-15+ so they're even with the others or they're gone. I've beaten the original Tactics Ogre five or six times but just couldn't push my way through this one. But if you can get through this major annoyance, you should be able to enjoy the game as it seems like it could be the better game. Maybe you can max out all the classes and then use the world card to warp to the beginning of the game. If the enemies outside of Hell's Gate can scale to max level, then you've actually balanced the game so long as you don't have Hell's Gate weapons equipped.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.