Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nintendo Allowing Homosexual Marriages in Fire Emblem: Fates... Even in North America

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think that some people are trying to make this a big deal. It's not.

More choices = good.

Developers, in general, weren't trying to limit homosexual choices in the past. They either didn't think of it, didn't have time to add it, or couldn't make it work when you selected a mate to have offspring with if the game featured such a thing.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 06-25-2015 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I have no right to tell someone how to feel or think. People will think and feel however they please. I can talk with them and try to get them to see my side of it and they can try the same to me as well. If Jerry Seinfeld thinks that colleges are becoming too PC I think we may have a communication problem from both sides.

Stories and gameplay are a creative endeavor. You can't please everyone all the time. At the end of the day though the developers are really beholden to publishers. They don't seem to like diversity in gaming at the moment. If the demand was there you bet your ass there would be more of them. Vote with your wallet. Unless everyone thinks making youtube videos off of kickstarter donations is going to change the world.
    I meant throwing words around like 'Social Justice Warrior' and 'Modern Feminist' like they mean something. When the people you haphazardly label with the terms coined by the ignorant and hateful only want the same thing you claim to stand force, the right to not be dictated to by others.

There is no such thing as 'PC', again it's based on the idea there is suppose to be some kind of baseline to ignorance and hate that is acceptable. It's a fallacy.

Edit: and youtubes off Kickstarter can change the world, by bringing the long hidden conversation out into the open where the masses can see it in all its ugly glory. You can't fight a problem if no one is talking about it.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    In my mind yeah I can hear it, but writing it still reads the same. It seems more like political and dillution of things to make a subset of people who care that much of a larger subset of people who don't really at all happy. Either way I just see it as pandering, and yes to make a public deal out of it instead of just being quiet and having it there (media whoring stories for hits included) it would be a non-issue as no one would notice or care really. The way I see it, if they're going down the road of people with mental conditions, perhaps they should invent the first mainstream video game where the lead has autism or something, they did this with a good series of manga books (With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child) which got well reviewed and released in english too. Another would be maybe to make a game after some different TLC/Discovery TV series hits like My 600lb Life where you can train your character into a better life?
    Careful, you're not allowed to be normal anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't get why tolerance can't go both ways. What about the people who still like tried and true tradition? Why can't LGBT defenders accept that people can have opinions and beliefs of their own? It's pretty silly if you think about it.

Come join us on Micro-64

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I like the dicks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been playing the sims games since their beginning around 2000 and IIRC you could always hook up or have a relationship with the same sex. Can't recall if you could marry but I would think probably you could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to partake. If you're offended that it's in the game at all, as several of you seem to be, than you're a bigot, period. And people don't have to respect your "beliefs". They have to ACKNOWLEDGE your "beliefs" and then they reserve the right to say you're a bigot if you are one.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone needs to look up the definition of bigot.

I can not support something or want it portrayed in my entertainment, without being a bigot. I'm a tolerant individual not out to persecute such people. I simply just don't offer my support, however little that actually matters, for their lifestyle choice. It's not my idea of what marriage, an important concept that is at the foundation of this country and our culture, should be about.

I enjoy the performances of a number of actors that have stated they are, or allegedly were, homesexuals. Monty Woolley, Rock Hudson, Richard Deacon, etc. How do you reconcile such a thing with me allegedly being a bigot just because I'm not marching in parades or voting based on who supports homosexual marriages? And if I ever have a child that decides that's for them, I wouldn't just stop loving them. I'd deal with it and support them as best as I could, since my feelings about it are my problem, not theirs.

When some people talk about tolerance, they really need to look up what that actually entails...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-25-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    When some people talk about tolerance, they really need to look up what that actually entails...

You are only tolerant if you believe what I believe.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Someone needs to look up the definition of bigot.

I can not support something or want it portrayed in my entertainment, without being a bigot. I'm a tolerant individual not out to persecute such people. I simply just don't offer my support, however little that actually matters, for their lifestyle choice. It's not my idea of what marriage, an important concept that is at the foundation of this country and our culture, should be about.

I enjoy the performances of a number of actors that have stated they are, or allegedly were, homesexuals. Monty Woolley, Rock Hudson, Richard Deacon, etc. How do you reconcile such a thing with me allegedly being a bigot just because I'm not marching in parades or voting based on who supports homosexual marriages? And if I ever have a child that decides that's for them, I wouldn't just stop loving them. I'd deal with it and support them as best as I could, since my feelings about it are my problem, not theirs.

All of that is fine, except that you are actively taking a position that would deny other people their fundamental human rights to partake of the same beautiful traditions and institutions that you believe are so foundational. It's no different than all of the people who wanted to perpetuate "Jim Crow" laws in the South claiming that to allow true equality somehow robbed the people who were not subject to those laws of historical and cultural institutions that made Southern life so wonderful. Somebody else getting married to someone of the same sex has zero impact on your ability to pursue what you or anyone else considers a "traditional" marriage just like adding these choices in a Nintendo game does nothing to impact your ability to play the game in any way you see fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    I have no right to tell someone how to feel or think. People will think and feel however they please. I can talk with them and try to get them to see my side of it and they can try the same to me as well. If Jerry Seinfeld thinks that colleges are becoming too PC I think we may have a communication problem from both sides.

Stories and gameplay are a creative endeavor. You can't please everyone all the time. At the end of the day though the developers are really beholden to publishers. They don't seem to like diversity in gaming at the moment. If the demand was there you bet your ass there would be more of them. Vote with your wallet. Unless everyone thinks making youtube videos off of kickstarter donations is going to change the world.
    Well The Adventurer there clearly doesn't agree as a social justice warrior who feels you, zthun and others must think and act how he sees fit or it's a problem. Maybe my wording wasn't the best last night making it look like it all hinged upon Fire Emblem, but it was a general comment which is why I tossed that last bit in about what's next, feminists bitching about a weak princess being saved by Mario. At some point you well enough have to leave it alone. You just can't force people to do whatever the hell you as a person wants because then everyone will want to stick their nose in it and nothing will get accomplished.

Leo, no doubt, being normal is the new bad thing apparently these days you must feel guilty about and go into hiding over unless you wish to attract verbal or physical violence. And thank you for that last post, that's right where I sit on the matter. To self righteous types social crusading and crushing anyone who doesn't agree entirely who would call you a bigot, it's just not the case. kai got it right, the non-stated but all too often social justice warrior mantra of you are only tolerant if you believe what I believe (because if you don't, it's on big time.)

and zthun, gender, sexual orientation, however you want to put a label on it, it's still a mental problem because normal behavior would attract the opposite genders to procreate and continue the species. Until I see some definitive scientific information otherwise that it's normal I rank it right in there with other brain issues that may or may not ultimately be treatable.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I'm not anti-gay (far from it), but when did games stop being about playing and having fun in a neutral in-game environment regardless of who you are?
    I'm guessing having opposite sex relationships only wouldn't seem like a "neutral" environment to someone who's not straight.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    and zthun, gender, sexual orientation, however you want to put a label on it, it's still a mental problem because normal behavior would attract the opposite genders to procreate and continue the species. Until I see some definitive scientific information otherwise that it's normal I rank it right in there with other brain issues that may or may not ultimately be treatable.
    If it was a mental disorder then all of those conversion camps would be working instead of failing and treatment options would be available. Just accept it that there are gay people and they are normal. It is not like being gay is something new. It was just a very undercover lifestyle. Now people can be out and accepted more than ever. Either way idk if you think it is I know what I know and you know what you know. Everyone should have the same rights as long as they are not hurting anyone there is nothing to fear except change.

I do feel like some SJW and the like come on a little strong to people who don't care one way or the other and may actually push them away from their cause. My $.02 of course.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I'm guessing having opposite sex relationships only wouldn't seem like a "neutral" environment to someone who's not straight.
    Exactly, which is why one of my original points was that I would prefer games to be without any kind of sexuality to them.

Anyway, I was going to write a longer post about the differences on this topic between Japanese culture and American culture, and how another of my original points was about how I found it noteworthy that Nintendo of America wasn't going to engage in censorship of this game like it had during its past in the 80's and 90's; but this discussion quickly deteriorated into something filled with negative emotions. Therefore, it is time to lock this thread.