Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splatoon Sells a Million

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Splatoon Sells a Million

Splatoon has cleared a million units sold worldwide in its opening month.

Nintendo of Japan tweeted out the announcement last night, thanking the players for their support of the game. A follow-up press release from Nintendo of America broke the sales down as follows:

North America: More than 476k (136k in the first two days in the United States according to NPD)
    Japan: More than 368k (approximately 310k on disc per Media Create figures through June 21)
    Europe: More than 230k
    Australia: 20k

The 1.086m units makes Splatoon the 10th Wii U game known to cross a million copies sold worldwide.
    Source: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...llion-splatted

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

So roughly one in ten people who own a Wii U own Splatoon. Not bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All things considered with the WiiU, no that's not bad at all, especially since it's not a major franchise title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    All things considered with the WiiU, no that's not bad at all, especially since it's not a major franchise title.
    Well it's going to be now. I'm already dreading the hopelessly gimped 3DS version you just know they're going to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh yeah it'll happen. I doubt it'll be gimped much if any though. The 3DS, especially New3DS isn't that weak. A lot of that overhead in a game like that are the HD visuals and textures, and the 3DS doesn't have to bother with it. So unless gimped means SD level graphics, it should be fine and with the portability factor and broader audience I'd think it would do very well. Nintendo seems to have some potential history to do this to make more copies sold looking at the upcoming Hyrule Warriors Legends for 3DS coming out and with all the expansions on the card already too WiiU owners have to pay for individually. Though I imagine we'll hear plenty of bitching how the c-stick sucks and it's harder to aim having to get used to it.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I think it is neat that there are ten different Wii U games which have sold over a million copies each. *thumbsup*

I for one would buy a 3DS version of Splatoon even if the number of simultaneous players allowed had to be reduced. I've been very excited for the game being that it looks fun, cartoony, light-hearted, and I love team-based, class-based shooters (I have sunk over 2000 hours into Team Fortress 2.) However, I don't have a Wii U, so a 3DS version would be a blessing. Heck, while we are wishing for things to happen, I wish Nintendo would port (Super) Mario Maker from Wii U to 3DS too. Once again, you'd probably have to scale things down, this time by reducing the number of simultaneous on-screen objects and the total number of objects in a level, but I've been really wanting Mario Maker since it was announced. With Mario Maker, though, you might not need to scale it down considering the game doesn't require much from today's hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game looks extremely boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The 3DS, especially New3DS isn't that weak. A lot of that overhead in a game like that are the HD visuals and textures, and the 3DS doesn't have to bother with it.
    Except it needs to render two pictures instead of one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    Game looks extremely boring.
    It's not, and despite what some people insist, you can in fact play it like a normal third person online shooter and "kills" do matter/contribute to the score either directly or indirectly.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Out of Nintendo's complete million seller list i wonder what number this would be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tough to be certain, but Wikipedia lists it at #9 with 1.09 million unit sales, superseding Hyrule Warriors at an even million.

But while there's no way that it's 8th or higher as of yet, it may not actually be past Hyrule Warriors. The announcement for Hyrule Warriors happened several months ago, and it stated that it had sold "over one million units worldwide".

So it only would've had to have moved somewhere under 90k units since then just to be even. The truth should be known when this quarter concludes on the 29th, and Nintendo updates this page to reflect both of these reaching the million mark.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sale...ware/wiiu.html

They don't list every million seller on hit systems like the Wii, cutting it off far well above that mark since there's so many successes. But I'm sure that they will list all ten million sellers here.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-27-2015 at 04:53 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

With selling 1 million copies, only 9 million copies to go before it breaks even in development costs. Assuming it's anything like other modern console developed games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice find on that list, kind of a shock (yet not with the 3DS) where Smash Bros sits. I had a feeling the 3DS game would cut some sales out since it goes for a 1/3 less in price and easier to access being portable. Kind of disappointing seeing a lame party game over Wind Waker. Looking at that, it reminds me (3ds list) the fun I had with that Animal Crossing, the most since the original. I'm not surprised to see Kirby not tracking as it's weird, I mean it's like fun yet boring at the same time, not sure that makes sense but it is. I'm surprised Luigi's Mansion 2 did that well though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Kirby kind of has a reputation of "good, not great" games and it seems to be terminal. Already they lowered the price of the Wii U Kirby game, though I don't know whose "smart" idea it was to make a spiritual sequel to probably the least successful, most controversial, and least popular Kirby game (Canvas Curse.) A problem with Kirby games is that they often start out starring other characters but if Nintendo doesn't think they'll do well enough as a franchise they just plop Kirby into it. It happened with Epic Yarn. I'm also surprised that the Xenoblade New 3DS XL remake didn't chart, as well as the 3DS DK game that was a port of Returns.

I'm curious what smaller franchises like Fossil Hunters and Yokai Watch will do like on the 3DS, in addition to the Chibi-Robo games. Chibi-Robo has much the same problems Kirby does: it is the dumping ground for ideas that don't work in other places. Still, I'm a fan of the first two games as well as some platforming so I'll give it a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Already they lowered the price of the Wii U Kirby game, though I don't know whose "smart" idea it was to make a spiritual sequel to probably the least successful, most controversial, and least popular Kirby game (Canvas Curse.)
    Plus, I don't see the logic in creating a game that has you always staring at a touch screen on a console.

Would've been more appropriate as a 3DS project.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ain't that the truth about Kirby, it's habitual too since you see stuff console side where it actually is fairly decent showing up as nearly the last game on a system (Dream Land 3, Adventure, Return to Dreamland on WiiU) which is kind of sad, and then you do get these odd or even dumb ideas, controversial even as you said, and they just tack him on there for good measure. I'm sure aside from that rotten DS canvas curse (and Wii U sequel I swore off the second I saw it was a drawing sequel) that Air Ride which is fairly good wasn't explicitly meant for him. Leo is right though, it should have been on 3DS but I think they're pulling what they can over to the WiiU to try and desperately sell some systems. There just was so much whining from Kirby fans not having a game on the GC it's like they just tossed something together and plopped him in there.

It is sad, I mean I do like that 3DS game, but I've had it since maybe a couple months after it came out, and I still have only maybe dropped 3 or 4 worlds of it and you can figure the plays are staggered probably 4-6mo apart on a one shot run as I just get bored. I mean it's fun I guess, but I get tired of bothering to clear stages after a bit, yet I can go back to better fleshed out Kirbys from the 8/16bit era and I have no issue (even kirby 64 was solid.) I guess it could be worse I did get rid of that Yoshi game that came out about the same time, that one I just couldn't enjoy at all.

I'm curious how bad did Xenoblade on 3DS do if it didn't beat out the DK port? That's just sad really as it's a solid game, but maybe it also backs up the overly visual minority of wii fans who bitched wanting it so bad and hating on the price gamestop and others jammed it up to. Demand outweighing actual value, and the fact far fewer people own the New3DS too.

I have to admit I'm curious too to see how Yokai Watch goes because of the franchise behind it because supposedly word was it would going to get spammed like hell in the US like Pokemon merchandise was. But really the physical release I'm hoping to see do nicely is the revamped style of where they're going with Chibi Robo, that looks fun and I'd buy that. Chibi does have the bad case of the Kirby's though. The DS walmart only game was mediocre, never finished it as it didn't feel laid out well. Then there were those lame games he was tossed into like that photo one which I didn't even bother with. The new one though seems like they're trying but who knows until it's out there.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've just recently purchased a Wii U and out of the three games I've played, Splatoon is the only one I like. I've only played online, haven't played single player, but the game is really good.... and by really good I mean bullshit.

You've got several variations of different weapon types. Pistols have either been quick fire weapons or slow firing close range explosive weapons that do area damage but very poor at inking the stage. Rifles can ink long straight areas, can be used as single shot weapons, or charged up to kill in a single shot. Machine guns can be better or worse at inking depending on the one that you choose, the earlier splattershot is the best one in inking, while another I've received later is good at inking but is also good at killing. Then the paint rollers are good at inking and good at killing at either short range or you can do do ink tosses to kill in a wide area at long range but needs to get precise.

You can turn into a squid and refill your ink, but you can also swim faster under the ink. So it can be used as a attack or defense mechanism. If you already have the ground painted, you can swim left or right to dodge while they're shooting at you, etc. The main objective is to have all the ground inked, but not being good at killing the opponent can mean that all your people die and they push you back into your base.

*edit*

Disregard the game is really good. When the bad parts about the game rear their ugly head on a consistent basis, that's when the game turns into fun whether you're winning or losing to literally rage inducing. Horrible development design in both gameplay and online.

When inviting friends, you can't guarantee you'll be on the same team, infact when playing with a friend today, 90% of the time we were on different teams. No voice chat so we still had to use the PS4 in order to do so. You're randomly thrown with any of the other seven players in the game, so despite that I was consistently getting first or second on almost every match, again 90% of the time I was on teams where the other players were getting half of my score, sometimes even a third of my score, being the very reason we lost the match.

As neat of a concept of the game is, there are people who just treat it like it's Call of Duty and camp, whether they're on your team or whether they're on the enemies team, again, rage inducing. On your team they camp as a squid and they don't actually paint, and who knows how many people will get suckered into getting killed in the same spot over again. If they're on the enemy team, obviously camping in itself will make you rage when you're killed by a camper. You can't see people when they're in the ink and not moving, even difficult to see them when they are moving. There are certain points in the game where a player can go up an area but not down an area, and there are a lot of people who will stay in squid form until you go down to the next area or turn back around to paint another side, then they'll immediately splat you in the back. Some areas in the game they'll stay in squid form to the side of a ramp where you can't hit them as soon as you come by, they'll go to the kid form and kill you. Unless you're Jesus your bullets aren't going around a corner.

All day today I got teamed with a bunch of really bad players and Japanese players who camps harder than your average CoD fanboy.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-28-2015 at 05:21 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Tough to be certain, but Wikipedia lists it at #9 with 1.09 million unit sales, superseding Hyrule Warriors at an even million.

But while there's no way that it's 8th or higher as of yet, it may not actually be past Hyrule Warriors. The announcement for Hyrule Warriors happened several months ago, and it stated that it had sold "over one million units worldwide".

So it only would've had to have moved somewhere under 90k units since then just to be even. The truth should be known when this quarter concludes on the 29th, and Nintendo updates this page to reflect both of these reaching the million mark.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sale...ware/wiiu.html

They don't list every million seller on hit systems like the Wii, cutting it off far well above that mark since there's so many successes. But I'm sure that they will list all ten million sellers here.
    oh I wasn't talking about wii u but the company as a whole since they started selling games of the video variety. and of course 1st party games made in house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good question, that would be a tough one to answer.

I bet that they've had close to 100 Nintendo published million sellers through the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So what other games did you get you don't like kupo because you sound mixed on splatoon thanks to the dumb behavior of others online despite the strong mechanics.