Thread: Retron 5 72 Pin Connector Repair

Insert Coin (Level 0) HyruleHero's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retron 5 72 Pin Connector Repair

Anyone know how to repair a 72 pin connector in a Retron 5, I love this console but it's very flimsy is it downfall. A pin appears bent , I tried bending it back but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

No advice, I'm afraid, but I can sympathize because I'm on my second one. My original was completely dead right out of the box. I love the console because it's HDMI, but I'm not sold on the built quality after getting a DOA one. I have HORRIBLE luck when it comes to new electronics though. I get more defective hardware out of the box than anyone I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

To be fair to the post above, the build quality isn't bad for the R5, it's bad for the launch (v1) versions of the R5. They went back over 6 months ago now and redid the pin connectors, board, the frame(top was push in easy flimsy), port connectors too, and other little things which raised the cost $20 but made it solid.

The only suggestion I can give is probably the only option aside from buying another. Use a safety pin or tiny tweezers and try and bend it back into place, but that won't be a long term repair as it's weakened because of that. Hell it could even break off doing it too maybe, it's a guess. Did you ever activate the warranty on it? They've been out just about a year now so it should still have one and they'd swap it for a new model style that's not flimsy.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

What kind of warranty do they have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One year against defects covers parts/labor but not shipping I don't believe, though you can strong arm them for it in a case like the first gen turds. Given they don't want to swap, you'll end up with a refurbished replacement of the new style or just a new one all together. Just be sure to inventory to them in email/phone call what all you're mailing and what you expect to get back or there can be issues.

I know my story last year is old, but they screwed up a few times, and in that I got sent a beat ass used system with no wiring I sent right back, another time it was a DOA before that, and the third one I kept was a black one (I had gray) so I had a mismatch, so they mailed me a new black controller I swapped out. Ever since that screw up and them being very apologetic from both offices over it, I've never had a problem and it has been like a rock parts wise. Obviously I screw around with beta firmware so that comes with issues. The latest at least in GBA mode using a SNES controller likes to not do the pad short cuts at all other than pull the menu up and even then remapped itself to start (I had select+direction on mine.)