Thread: Naughty Dog's next game needs to be open world.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Naughty Dog's next game needs to be open world.

If you've watched the Uncharted 4 demo at E3 2015, you'll have seen fully destructable environments and then a minute in Drake and Sully will jump in a Jeep that is fully controllable by the player for a several minute long chase sequence(which wasn't even the extended demo.) The amount of area covered in that one scene looks to be around half the size of GTA4. Who would want to see a open world game with the Uncharted covering mechanic further refined, the melee combat in Uncharted 3, and the weapon combat in The Last of Us. I know I would. Or how about an open world The Last of Us? I wouldn't mind seeing what they could make either with your standard open world game or a post apocalyptic game like The Last of Us.

Here's the video if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL46dpNEPPA
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess the last of us could work for it. I pray they would never make Uncharted open world, those games I truly dislike due to the size, time committment and general lack of direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Naughty Dog's next game needs to be open world.
    No, no it doesn't. Open world games aren't as conducive to story with cutscenes, action scenes can't be so tightly coordinated, and the moment you let the player go anywhere and do anything, you need to make everything far more complicated because you're adding in so many more variables with makes everything far more complex.

The last thing naughty dog needs is to go open world. That works for some games where there isn't such a strong narrative focus, but the whole idea is that naughty dog games are like playable action films. Imagine if Last of Us was open world, and instead of going into the ruined hotel, Joel and Ellie just waded through the water and went around. It would have ruined a good section of the game simply because the player chose to do that without knowing what they were missing.

Choice is only good when it makes sense for the game designers to give it.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Naughty Dog does best at scripted set piece action, which is the opposite of open world.

If Uncharted is to change, I'd rather see more emphasis on real puzzles and environmental navigation in levels like old school Tomb Raider and de-emphasis on Gears of War style wave based cover shooter game play.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Naughty Dog created Jak and Daxter which is open world. Just because a game is open world doesn't mean that they can't push the gameplay towards the direction that they want it to go. I'm sure they could create a real world open world style that they could force the player to go through areas they wanted them to experience seemlessly if they put some effort into it. It is Naughty Dog afterall.

Also why does it have to be seemless. Rockstar did fine with all the set pieces in their missions with GTA5. Naughty Dog could do the same. Or it could be purely based on survival, simlar to that one game on the 360/PC/Xbox One. Can't remember the name, but that looked like a good game. Requiring players to move from place to place and loot food, water, ammo, etc.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-29-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ogreatgames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultimately if Naughty Dog makes an another open world game it would probably be very successful, however, I think that Jak & Daxter The Precusor Legacy which Naughty Dog created was already an open world game.
    http://www.ogreatgames.com Hey check out Ogreatgames for video games and much more!