Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo NX to be released in 2016

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a big shame that Yakuza 1 & 2 HD did poorly, because had it been localized, it would have been a nice alternative to overpriced secondhand Yakuza 1 & 2.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sad but very true Kupo and it can be well backed and argued sadly even with the somewhat lacking US based NPD data (3 big stores won't report to them) along with Media create out of Japan. If you go back over the years and I'm thinking 2001 (GC) forward you'll find a nasty little correlation between system sales by the the month/year vs the games that sell and what moves and not. Nintendo and their fanboy base chase each other by the tail while wearing a pair of horse blinders so they can only see forward, not what's going on around them. Nintendo thinks things are ok because their games and those they advertise as they publish for someone else (like Bravely Default) or second party like Xenoblade they own anyway sell very well to amazing. Third parties see these millions of systems sold and a good attach rate in the Nintendo realm of things and at face value it looks like a duh moment where money can be made. Problem is the blinders of the Nintendo fanboy stick their nose up at a third party game and rarely buy it, and at times when they do those buys are only when they think it will get the more games (due to some hollow publisher promise) or speculation (see Resident Evil 4 sales on GC for example with the Capcom 5 promise that like most their stories for anyone is a lie.) Third parties basically get screwed. Sometimes they'll try again and see how it goes, like The Conduit 1 and then 2 on the Wii, but then the first sells ok enough to justify, then the second sells like crap so they cut and limit the run. You get the Nintendo fanboy whining there are no games from developers, then the developers say you didn't buy my crap, and the fanboy will say well your crap was crap and not good enough to my standards (which is code for NIntendo made quality standards.) Third parties then say F U, and go make games for anyone but Nintendo...see Wii U. Wii U was the straw that broke the camels back as that old saying goes. Sure there was some year old trolling ports at launch, but within that first year you had a good run of some mediocrity but some also ass kicking quality third party releases, even major junk like COD Ghosts, Assassins Creed Black Flag, and others. Did they sell.... NO. Given the percentages of a game that are expected to sell against total units moved, it was not even qualifying at laughable, it was pitable, groan worthy and not that they need any but apology and pity worthy to write a third party and say 'sorry they're idiots' to them if you were/are a Wii U owner who actually DO want those games (as I did.)

Nintendo NX if the rumors are to be even half true may solve the problem to a degree, but it will never truly fix the issue ever. Nintendo has buried themselves due to them blindly sucking up to their buy every game fanboys at the cost of future buys and future games as people get fed up and by a playstation or just get the stuff on PC. The NX being a handheld first and then a console that uses the same media second, they're positioning themselves as a cheaper alternative that can run all sorts of junk much like an Android micro console like the Shield or that Mad Catz box too. With DENA on board it looks even more likely to do that and also finally get their collective asses in gear having proper online capabilities too which will end up easily being cross compatible with the existing Android/iOS stuff they have planned going out a year from now. Pokemon Shuffle Mini benig the first, that one already allows transfers of data and special prize unlock codes between it and the 3DS game if you weren't aware, so there is a precedent there with that. I doubt I'd buy the home system, but if the NX end up being another closed Nintendo system that happens to easily run the junk mobile devices has (like that NST job posting asking for android/ios game developer experience) they could scratch their way back into a better spot. The one glowing end third parties still have for Nintendo are all those indie or sorta indie companies who do decent bank with the eShop game sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Eurogamer has a story today that the Wall Street Journal reports that Nintendo is now issuing developer kits for their upcoming NX console. They also state that the hardware will also have a "mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...er-kits-report

I hope their next-gen hardware includes the scrollable shoulder buttons that they recently filed a patent for. I think that's a good idea and can already envision some good uses for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    They also state that the hardware will also have a "mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use".
    That's the part that has me most intrigued. I also wonder if the system will "just be" on par with the Xbox One and PS4 or will they try and surpass those systems in power.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It'll surely be on par or a little better, they don't care to keep up anymore as they seem perfectly happy not having a $4-500 system to try and pander to the all ages group. They know they lost third parties with a stand alone console so now if this WSJ bit is verifiably correct it plays well into much of that rumor cycle about the handheld, the console, and scalable tech where they both run the same stuff (in a way like say the Nvidia Shield tablet vs the Console.) I see the 3DS being the end of the stand alone just as the WiiU is too(to their benefit.) They need to play to what strengths they have left, and that would be going more into the one system multiple directions micro-console like setup with good beefy weight behind it, but as a lower priced all inclusive machine that'll run all sorts of stuff and having an open eShop market people wantt o publish for. If the stories keep being more true than false rumor and Android had a hand in it, (Nintendo had been looking for awhile now for android and ios developers(clearly for what's out now/coming but perhaps more?) perhaps it will be a derivative of that so porting would be a snap. Think of it like another google play, ouya, amazon store front of sorts with controlled Nintendo games, and knowing their control freak fantasy no allowances for sideloading junk too. I'm now really intrigued as WSJ isn't in the childish rumor business, they're about real business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really looking forward what launch games will be released. I can't wait for next year. I hope they actually do an E3 since they will probably be the talk of E3. 2016 will surely be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm waiting with curiosity too. If there interest in Android has anything to do with this scalable system between handheld and console huge doors could open up again to them getting third party games, and not necessary from the stuck up pricks who have shunned them going on a decade now for one lame illogical reason or another from old era bad blood to being cool to ignore them to some legit budgetary reason. I'd rather see them have a console/handheld that gets a whole slew of new game makers than the usual trolls re-running the same shit every system, every year or two. Yet as the same time I don't want it to just be an Android me-too box against the Nvidia Shield and so on, it needs some happy middle ground between the microconsole and high priced console that's well priced and easy as pie to make games or port games up to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless of how the system's hardware turns out the key question will be can they once again get third party support on par with the other systems. They should already be working on deals and agreements in the background.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the other thing that people are ignoring about the NX is that the other 2 guys will have a very nice back catalog of games and maybe another price drop. They will also be pushing their VR headsets as well. I mean never say quit and all but I just don't see that many casual consumers choosing it over the other guys. It will have to be around the price of the other guys and offer something very unique or I just don't see it working out.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Regardless of how the system's hardware turns out the key question will be can they once again get third party support on par with the other systems. They should already be working on deals and agreements in the background.
    I think they can, just not the traditional ones as it's gone on long enough with the same laundry list of highly childish reasons to hate on the company and giving it B-team garbage or a total snub it would have to be the new generation of game makers and the more niche level guys who still do throw them quite a bit of love in the handheld circles (like Atlus.) I think you're more likely to see the notable guys who make quality Android and iOS games making Nintendo stuff than EA and Capcom to come crawling back. A few I think would do it who did still support them like Lucasgames (now Disney) and Activision who still gave Nintendo COD love all over the Wii and a few WiiU games too, but mostly it'll be the newer blood who don't have some arrogant chip and prejudice on their shoulders against Nintendo. The big fish console gamers know third parties going back to the 80s and 90s, they're just lost, they need to be blown, their balls tickled, and need to have console maker kiss their ass and meet every single demand in hardware to be graced with their presence and Nintendo clearly will not do that the last 2 systems and I doubt they will ever again.

Nintendo lost interest in that market and they lost interest in them too. The fanboys screwed NIntendo and NIntendo enabling them screwed themselves too right along side of the garbage game makers pulled too...a trifecta of failure. Nintendo I think only sees a future going different, getting into more of the micro-console like market where it's mass downloads of freemium and cheap games along side of full blown cheaper games on physical media+downloads side by side with a system having a capability of like the Nvidia Shield Consoel can pull off, maybe a bit more so it has room to survive more than 3 years. They won't be running out there with a $400+ dollar system and trying to match the other guys again as it will get them nowhere as that ship sailed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't really mean paying for third party exclusives as that practice has been dying out for a while. What I mean is are they talking to Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc to make sure that the NX will be powerful enough and the online network capable enough to get versions of their biggest games. Even if you don't want to play Call Of Duty, Star Wars: Battlefront and Assassin's Creed on an Nintendo system I would hope that Nintendo is doing everything they can to make sure that a third or more of the largest video game releases don't completely skip their next system as most titles seem to have done this generation on the Wii U. We all know that people still buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games(mostly) but having more options of what to play on the system definitely isn't a bad thing. But Nintendo really needs to be working on that stuff now.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The problem with that is the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

Only very recently have we really started to see those be left behind by 3rd parties, yet Wii U support evaporated years ago at a time when most major 3rd party projects supported those platforms and would be supporting them for several years yet.

Why would franchises like Call of Duty be coming back just because Nintendo created a more powerful console more in line with the specifications of the competition? It will undoubtedly help if this appears and 3rd parties don't have to go greatly out of their way to support it (Not only horsepower wise, but the general architecture, too).

But as seen by the Wii U and its technical capabilities that are in the ballpark of the PS3/360, the reasons for the lack of 3rd party support goes much deeper than the lack of power or being too different technically from the competition.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-24-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I didn't really mean paying for third party exclusives as that practice has been dying out for a while. What I mean is are they talking to Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc to make sure that the NX will be powerful enough and the online network capable enough to get versions of their biggest games. .
    Well I'd rather they did do it so I could try and go one system a generation again. But reality is Nintendo doesn't care anymore and have shown that with both Wii systems. They were given a chance this gen to get support and chose to go low and with a tablet instead and in turn got roughly dumped. I think this plays into their new routemof one internal group and not twos merging handheld and console and also their move into working with dena and the tablet is games.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

My guess is that the NX will be out in 2017. The commercial-advertisement hype train for it would already be rolling if it were going to launch in 2016. Would I like to get one? Yeah. But due to my situation, I typically lag many, many years behind on console acquisitions, so I don't foresee myself picking one up anytime before the 2020's. But that's OK. I've got about 2000 games to keep me company as is, and in another few years, I might pick up a Wii U. I've already got a list of games which I want to pick up for that, so I'm good to go when the time is right.

Speaking of the NX though, apparently Namco is very busy at work for the next Nintendo console.

A noted Japan-based analyst has hinted that Bandai Namco has several titles in development for the NX platform, including a Smash Bros game.

No specifics were given beyond what was contained in the Twitter post, but the hint is that the Smash Bros game would be available at launch. Given the short turnaround from the last Smash Bros title, it is more likely that the game would be a "Game of the Year Edition" style release rolling up all of the existing DLC, but an original Smash Bros game has launched close to a system with Super Smash Bros Melee in 2001.

Bandai Namco is currently developing several NX titles. Smash Bros is planned to be a launch title. I am not sure about the date - yet .
    — Dr. Serkan Toto (@serkantoto) January 28, 2016
    In a fast follow-up:
    To follow up on my last tweet: I haven't heard if it's a completely new (numbered) Smash Bros or not. Otherwise, source situation is solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If NX is a handheld instead of a console, they usually don't have such long lead times from unveiling to release.

And this isn't business as usual for Nintendo. I could see them not wanting to take away anything from the last Christmas for the Wii U and the New 3DS by taking the lid off things back last Fall. In a more routine Nintendo generation, they'd openly be willing to sacrifice some soon to be last-gen sales for the sake of publicity for their upcoming hardware launch.

But this is different and calls for different approaches all around. So a more condensed calendar that kept Christmas the domain of their products that were on store shelves while keeping the NX front and center every few weeks for 6-8 months prior to launching doesn't strike me as unlikely compared to well over a year with sometimes months between news of any substance like we've traditionally seen Nintendo do.

Works well for the competition at least...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-24-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I still think the NX might release this year or the first couple months next year, but unless it's the rumored hybrid, it's still too little too late to capture the mainstream market which already has 60 million already invested in the PS4 and Xbox One imo.

I honestly think the NX as a console is going to sell less than the Wii U did. Too many people were burnt on the Wii with it being such a fad, and then later on burnt on the Wii U with pretty much no third party support. I think they'll be reluctant to jump on the NX even if there are games that interest them because look what happened with the Wii U after launch. Between multiconsole owners and most Nintendo fans who don't purchcase anything outside of first party, third party publishers quickly dropped any and all support of the Wii U one after one.

I have a decent amount of expendable money and don't mind throwing it out on different games here and there. I bought a Wii U and about 10 games I was interested in and have been picking up the Wii and Wii U games since(never owned a Wii.) Even picking up games for both the Wii and the Wii U, I'm just baffled about how many games the system doesn't have. This is a system that's already four years into its life cycle and another entire generation behind it, and there's not a lot that actually impresses me on the console. I felt that with 10 games that I was immediately interested in, it was fine to pick it up and I'd for sure find a lot of other games, but I've barely doubled that amount. It's honestly the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a console. The NX sure as hell isn't getting my support until the end of the systems life, and if it doesn't have a minimum of 50 games that really interest me at that point then I won't bother. The Wii U was definitely a grass is greener on the other side for me type of thing because I was disappointed with the PS4 release but the Wii U was nothing more than a mirage of an oasis in a wide open desert.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hate to lean towards agreeing with that one statement in your piece, but I have to lean on the fact I think you may be onto them failing harder with NX than the WiiU, but I throw the caveat that it's them making yet another under powered stand alone console that isn't some Android (Shield TV) like device that could get a shit ton of stuff ported to it super cheap which would make it a no brainer for Android developers to consider it another way to make a few bucks.

I for one will NOT buy the NX if it is a stand alone console, they screwed me hard on the back end of the Wii's life and the WiiU is an unmitigated disaster as far as releases, even some of theirs blow which makes things even thinner, and I ended up selling it which sickened me, but only slightly less than holding onto it watching dust bunnies form. I had nothing to do and nothing but their wonky looking Starfox with forced touch play and Xenoblade which I knew I'd never get due to time problems (as I didn't get it on Wii but did on 3DS since it's portable.) See the pattern of reasoning, portable. If the NX is the hybrid pick your poison box as the hardware scales the shared media (like mid grade vs badass PC running the same game toned down) then I'll buy it because I feel I'd get the hours out of it and it would get the support.

Even if i did have the games I did on WiiU, I feel I didn't get my monies worth and I got taken by Nintendo to a point. The fact it came out with virtually no internal storage, a shit ton of bugs and horrid lag to navigate menus it took them 2 years to clean up which was pure lazy bullshit, that I won't forget right along with it collecting dust. I wasn't going to make myself buy a $60 game to see if I'd like it to show NIntendo I support them. That's what a NIntendo fanboy tool does, buys shit regardless to show there's an audience under the delusion it'll make more games magically appear from developers other than Nintendo or stuff they pay people off to release. I won't and can't afford to think that way, again more why the WiiU isn't next to my TV anymore. I'm not saying either the PS4 is all sunshine and bunnies, but at least it has games, variety, damn good now and coming first party games and they're #1 in third party support like NIntendo was a century (20th) ago. Also doesn't hurt having it play my blu-rays (damn them for no remote), a few dvds, and running Amazon Video, etc which WiiU damn well didn't. I don't need a swiss army knife box, but movies, come on...really?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

So...if the rumors are correct, and NX is a "platform," then they are effectively trying to re-create the success of Steam.

Good luck with that. Last numbers I saw indicated that Steam owns 25% of the entire PC gaming market. Which, if other reported numbers / studies are true, and this market is twice the size of the console space, means that Steam owns a market equal to half the entire console gaming market.

I have not even played and / or finished many of the games I have for the original Wii, so there was no way I was going to get the Wii U. Ditto for the Nintendo DS lite I have, although the hinge on it snapped, leaving me less apt to go out and buy a 3DS which might have similar quality issues (my original NES is still going pretty strong). I just don't see the benefit. There are so many great games on the PC platform, and they are so cheap (important when I already have a ton of unfinished games and more limited time), that I can't imagine going back to gaming on any console.

I am sure some Nintendo games are great, but so are many other games as well. I can live without it.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've seen rumors that the "handheld" part of the NX comes out this year while the "console" part of it comes out in 2017. If it's really Nintendo having a go at a Steam-style service then they're going to have a bad time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think it's the Steam angle, not sure why that was thought up but I'm sure someone did.

Of all the stuff they've chosen to either debunk or be oddly quiet but actually indiscretely vocal on in those Japanese stock holder/business notes bits you just have to wonder.
    - Killed the R&D divisions for console and handheld, merged into one to better develop into the future.
    - They talked up making scaleable software with the potential of games working across platforms (which does sound both Steam and PSN cross play like.)
    - They also wanted to nuke the 3DS and the WiiU around the same time while doing this mystery system(s) and their Quality of Life platform as well
    - While denying stock Android, they didn't deny a flavor of it either when asked
    - The DENA deal for both network and new games on a mobile front
    - They're again NOT going to make an expensive equal tier hardware box to fight Sony and MS with
    - Again they want affordability, all ages friendliness, and they want to try and gain more developer support

That really begs the question, what fits? Personally I know they can't afford to make another backwater machine that falls far behind. Wii taught them that. They found with WiiU people were impressed, but they blew it enough on their own along with day one third parties bailing on them, porting old crap adequately to ineptly usually very late (1+ year old stuff), or quitting with excuses a year later. The system could have very well been receiving the stuff the PS3/360 got as it can handle it, but it didn't.

Where's that leave you? They can't do another WiiU tier type box that kind of beats out the last gen and sits well with the one already half through to then look bad 2-3 years later. They can't do a backwater that's clearly old, both cases will get them no support. They're talking software that scales, merged their development divisions, got in bed with DENA for networking and game development, yet they want to still be affordable. The only thing I can see unless I'm just wrong and they're geniuses or certified morons doing the a wrong thing trifecta is effectively an NVIDIA SHIELD type device platform which isn't a Steam like service, but is a microconsole service that runs the same software across comparable platforms where you only have to develop a game once and it will play on anything on their version of some OS. For argument sake, let's say it's a modded Android OS like Amazon has on their platform. If you figure their new network platform and DENA doing their thing, it would almost make sense (also given their need to digitally release all their games strongly over even physical now) they'd be courting the hell out of any Android game maker who has an interest. Imagine eShop 2.0 that has free games, $1-5 games, 'premium' download $5-20 games (like Android/iOS SquareEnix/Bandai-Namco stuff), and then their downloads of physical media. Such physical media, almost surely on a high sized storage chip bigger than the 3DS but still as equally cost effective at the $40-50 range that woudl slot into a handheld (ie: shield tablet) or console (ie: shield tv console) device. You'd be able to own whatever is better for your lifestyle, not get excluded from any games, use it between either device, lose nothing doing so even if the handheld is a little less beefy, and can cross play or cross use your saves (like with Sony) like it was nothing special.

If Nintendo did something like that, and said FU console market and closed handheld market and dove into the microconsole market which does take physical stuff (like PS TV, a TV version of Vita), they could effectively be dominant again. And also if it were using a flavor of Android all those big game makers who used to make stuff would have a minimal effort involved to put their already developed cash cow games on yet another platform to make more cash. No funky development, no stupid issues with hard to code for hardware(WiiU), no backwater designs (Wii/WiiU), no out of date output (Wii), it would just fit. I think that could save them. They know smaller end stuff, they know handheld, and now they bought the knowing of bigger things to come and network sustainability through that DENA deal.