Thread: Red Ash (Inafune's "Spiritual Successor" to Mega Men Legends)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Exclamation Red Ash (Inafune's "Spiritual Successor" to Mega Men Legends)

Before Mighty No. 9 even releases, we have a new Kickstarter - no, a new PAIR of Kickstater projects - from Keiji Inafune. These are very obviously "inspired" by Mega Man Legends.

Red Ash - The Indelible Legend (Game)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...delible-legend

Red Ash - Magicicada (Anime)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...da-by-studio4c

Now look, I want another Mega Man Legends game more than the next guy, but this... isn't what I want. Yes, I like a lot of things which the MML series has which RA has, but what I most want is a continuation of the story and to spend more time with the characters of Mega Man Legends. These doppelgangers and their story just don't hold much interest for me. I do like the Cowboy Bebop vibe which Red Ash is imbued with, but that's not enough motivation for me to pay out money so that Inafune can make another game which obviously wants to be part of a different game series.

I mean, seriously: Mega Man Legends = Rockman Dash. Red Ash = ReDash. Then look at the character designs. How much more does he want to go, "Hint hint!"? Any more than this and he'd be hitting people over the head with a baseball bat. Good thing Japanese companies are so "shy" about lawsuits. If this was two American companies, there would be a high chance a lawsuit would result from all of this.

Does Comcept have a creative bone in its corporate body? First it had Kai-Oh: King of Pirates which wanted to be One Piece and which was ultimately cancelled. Then it had Mighty No. 9 which wants to be Mega Man classic with Mega Man Zero guest-starring as its Protoman. Then it (and Inti Creates) had Azure Striker Gunvolt which wants to be Mega Man Zero / ZX. Then it had Mighty Gunvolt which not only wants to be Mega Man classic, but its graphics, music, sound effects, and (embarrassing, intentionally mangled) translation all scream that it wants to be an 8-bit Mega Man game. And now it wants to make Red Ash, a blatant Mega Man Legends wannabe. Is Inafune just going to use carbon copy paper to produce dark copies of every project he ever worked upon at Capcom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In short (probably) Yes. I hate to sound like a downer on the guy, but it is his life's work and he's done it for so long it probably is all his mind has been locked into being as far as creativity (or lack of) goes. It's a shame if you wish to see more with what you know he can and could do, and others will just eat it up as a big F U to Capcom because they can still play those games rebranded since they showed no interest in supporting him anymore.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Aside from character design, nothing about Mega Man is Inafune's until later in the series. His name is constantly regarded as the creator of the series and named alongside legendary developers like Miyamoto, Sakaguchi, Matsuno, etc, etc, etc, when he is nothing of the sort.

This guy is using peoples misconceptions about him and creating a blatant ripoff to funnel money from consumers. Despite the almost four million that he's received in funding, on top of what the publisher handed over in funding, there's only 12 stages in Mighty Number 9. I'm going to assume some major disappointment from the people who funded paying $20 for a physical copy and $60 for a digital copy, and those of us who didn't pay a damn thing can go to the store and get it for $30. We can even get a signed physical copy that includes a digital PS3 and Vita copy for $50. I'm going to safely assume a lot of that money is lining the guys pockets and then he comes out with another kickstarter begging for more money to ripoff another game that he had no part of instead of funding the damn game himself or getting a publisher to help with the funding.

I think he's already received what he's deserved and it's greedy as hell that he's abusing the system to sucker fans out of more money.

*edit* Apparently he started helping develop Mega Man games starting with Mega Man 8 and Legends. Who knows how much really.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-06-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At this point, why does Comcept need another game kickstarted?

Could they not secure their own funding easily?

No, let's start asking for more money before delivering our first kickstarter...

This shit is getting old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hard to argue that. With all they made on Mighty 09 and then the next step going into real game production and sales on it too, to pan handle for another game seems shady. It's not like inti-creates is hard up for cash as they have a decent rep and people like their games and actually buy them, not just warez them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know, it just seems like a shitty thing to do. Let's focus on getting the first product out of the gate and not delaying it again, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post

No, let's start asking for more money before delivering our first kickstarter...
    Its normal for a developer to secure funding for the next project near the end of their current project. Its not like they wait until they ship the current title, before starting on the latest. Its a continual process.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'll save my complaint for when whoever deemed Mega Man X6 or Mega Man Network Transmission level layouts as ready to ship resurfaces.
    Lum fan.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Wouldn't it be interesting if it got developed and released anyway?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Wouldn't it be interesting if it got developed and released anyway?
    Would be weird for it not to be released after they found a publisher.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I find it most weird they're doing this panhandling now that they have the publishing secured. That's not in the spirit of kickstarter.