Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Ash (Inafune's "Spiritual Successor" to Mega Men Legends)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Exclamation Red Ash (Inafune's "Spiritual Successor" to Mega Men Legends)

Before Mighty No. 9 even releases, we have a new Kickstarter - no, a new PAIR of Kickstater projects - from Keiji Inafune. These are very obviously "inspired" by Mega Man Legends.

Red Ash - The Indelible Legend (Game)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...delible-legend

Red Ash - Magicicada (Anime)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...da-by-studio4c

Now look, I want another Mega Man Legends game more than the next guy, but this... isn't what I want. Yes, I like a lot of things which the MML series has which RA has, but what I most want is a continuation of the story and to spend more time with the characters of Mega Man Legends. These doppelgangers and their story just don't hold much interest for me. I do like the Cowboy Bebop vibe which Red Ash is imbued with, but that's not enough motivation for me to pay out money so that Inafune can make another game which obviously wants to be part of a different game series.

I mean, seriously: Mega Man Legends = Rockman Dash. Red Ash = ReDash. Then look at the character designs. How much more does he want to go, "Hint hint!"? Any more than this and he'd be hitting people over the head with a baseball bat. Good thing Japanese companies are so "shy" about lawsuits. If this was two American companies, there would be a high chance a lawsuit would result from all of this.

Does Comcept have a creative bone in its corporate body? First it had Kai-Oh: King of Pirates which wanted to be One Piece and which was ultimately cancelled. Then it had Mighty No. 9 which wants to be Mega Man classic with Mega Man Zero guest-starring as its Protoman. Then it (and Inti Creates) had Azure Striker Gunvolt which wants to be Mega Man Zero / ZX. Then it had Mighty Gunvolt which not only wants to be Mega Man classic, but its graphics, music, sound effects, and (embarrassing, intentionally mangled) translation all scream that it wants to be an 8-bit Mega Man game. And now it wants to make Red Ash, a blatant Mega Man Legends wannabe. Is Inafune just going to use carbon copy paper to produce dark copies of every project he ever worked upon at Capcom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In short (probably) Yes. I hate to sound like a downer on the guy, but it is his life's work and he's done it for so long it probably is all his mind has been locked into being as far as creativity (or lack of) goes. It's a shame if you wish to see more with what you know he can and could do, and others will just eat it up as a big F U to Capcom because they can still play those games rebranded since they showed no interest in supporting him anymore.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Aside from character design, nothing about Mega Man is Inafune's until later in the series. His name is constantly regarded as the creator of the series and named alongside legendary developers like Miyamoto, Sakaguchi, Matsuno, etc, etc, etc, when he is nothing of the sort.

This guy is using peoples misconceptions about him and creating a blatant ripoff to funnel money from consumers. Despite the almost four million that he's received in funding, on top of what the publisher handed over in funding, there's only 12 stages in Mighty Number 9. I'm going to assume some major disappointment from the people who funded paying $20 for a physical copy and $60 for a digital copy, and those of us who didn't pay a damn thing can go to the store and get it for $30. We can even get a signed physical copy that includes a digital PS3 and Vita copy for $50. I'm going to safely assume a lot of that money is lining the guys pockets and then he comes out with another kickstarter begging for more money to ripoff another game that he had no part of instead of funding the damn game himself or getting a publisher to help with the funding.

I think he's already received what he's deserved and it's greedy as hell that he's abusing the system to sucker fans out of more money.

*edit* Apparently he started helping develop Mega Man games starting with Mega Man 8 and Legends. Who knows how much really.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-06-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At this point, why does Comcept need another game kickstarted?

Could they not secure their own funding easily?

No, let's start asking for more money before delivering our first kickstarter...

This shit is getting old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hard to argue that. With all they made on Mighty 09 and then the next step going into real game production and sales on it too, to pan handle for another game seems shady. It's not like inti-creates is hard up for cash as they have a decent rep and people like their games and actually buy them, not just warez them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know, it just seems like a shitty thing to do. Let's focus on getting the first product out of the gate and not delaying it again, right?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I will not back this. I backed Mighty No.9 and feel like a lot of us who put our money and faith in the project got screwed over with the whole Deep Silver publishing deal. People that didn't back the project are able to buy physical copies of the game that are in some ways superior to what backers are getting, for less money. Fool me once...

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Inafune is largely a hack so it doesn't surprise me he's doing this.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

$89+ for a physical copy.
    Mr. Inafune, I invite you to go fuck yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bojay got a point there, anyone who paid up to his beggar amount to get a copy of the game got boned on the true physical release hitting 3DS and the rest. If he did it once you know it will happen again, which is probably why he's got that crap price on a physical release now. He's already dangled the bait and found the sucker fish once at a lower rate since classic Mega Man fans were physical media buyers, so you do it again for a higher cost. Not cool at all. Wait for a little stretch beyond the ship day, and if it gets even 1/2 the buzz of Mighty 09 did, you'll see this one hit real formats too and for the usual $20-30/$50-60 price on handheld/systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post

No, let's start asking for more money before delivering our first kickstarter...
    Its normal for a developer to secure funding for the next project near the end of their current project. Its not like they wait until they ship the current title, before starting on the latest. Its a continual process.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I'll save my complaint for when whoever deemed Mega Man X6 or Mega Man Network Transmission level layouts as ready to ship resurfaces.
    Lum fan.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'm personally done with funding Kickstarters for games which don't need one to be made.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

With all the money the sheeple put out for this sort of stuff the "developer" should just buy the rights to put out mega man legends 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Both good points. Not that I'd fund one anyway, but when you have a developer that could easily have or round up the funding for a project due to their own personal history (not even necessarily gaming based) they shouldn't be panhandling aggressively like this to get a game going, especially when things can shake out that'll just tick off the funding parties as it could be a sign of a screw you to early buyers into a project and a promise. This, Mighty 09, Iga's SOTN knockoff, they didn't need this. Aggressive media blitzing and classic sources of loans/funding from publishers or investors could have brought forth such games. I think it's fair one could argue as blown out as they were funded some of the additions probably wouldn't have happened, but the base game and much involved in it would have. Kickstarters should be set for the home project, the dude with a vision going out on their own who couldn't get the loan, the backing from another entity.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

As an idea Kickstarter was fucked over years ago. I'm waiting for Sony to start a Patreon or something next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

E beggars unite. No wonder a majority of Youtubers approve this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Both good points. Not that I'd fund one anyway, but when you have a developer that could easily have or round up the funding for a project due to their own personal history (not even necessarily gaming based) they shouldn't be panhandling aggressively like this to get a game going, especially when things can shake out that'll just tick off the funding parties as it could be a sign of a screw you to early buyers into a project and a promise. This, Mighty 09, Iga's SOTN knockoff, they didn't need this. Aggressive media blitzing and classic sources of loans/funding from publishers or investors could have brought forth such games. I think it's fair one could argue as blown out as they were funded some of the additions probably wouldn't have happened, but the base game and much involved in it would have. Kickstarters should be set for the home project, the dude with a vision going out on their own who couldn't get the loan, the backing from another entity.
    I'm not against funding a popular developer. I'm against the funding of a developer that clearly is in it for the money and the product isn't what the consumer has paid for. We really don't know how much in funds any of these popular developers happen to have.

With IGA, he's only really been popular to a niche following. It isn't quite Disgaea levels of niche, but Castlevania has never had a huge fanbase. Add to that around half of his games were pretty bad. There's SotN, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, and Dracula X Chronicles that are great games, Lament of Innocence, Harmony of Dissonance, and Portrait of Ruin are good, and then on the other end of the spectrum, there's Nano Breaker, Order of Ecclesia(yes, this is not a typo,) Order of Shadows, Judgment, Harmony of Despair, and Curse of Darkness which are just plain abysmal. Whether it was IGA that drove the series into the ground, whether it was lack of funding, whether it was being pushed by Konami to develop a game and he didn't have final say in many bad decisions, who knows. What we do know is that around half of his games are pretty bad.

So with IGA maybe he didn't have the funding and couldn't get the funding because of the above. The prices for the Kickstarter seemed reasonable and my hype was continuously through the roof with each major stretch goal that was unlocked. If you go to the Kickstarter and look, if only for amount of content and description of this content, this was something that was worth funding. If you've seen IGA's many reviews and seen him at events, you'll know he also has a lot of passion for his games. I hope with the amount of money we've funded and the additional funding he's receiving this will be one of the great games under his resume.

Here's a list of what's in Bloodstained btw.

Main game 25+ larger than his largest castle with three playable characters.
    Multiple difficulty modes with the addition of a nightmare difficulty, cheat codes, new game plus which was stated will include new ai.
    Boss Rush
    Speed Rush
    Co op, Versus, Challenge Versus, and asynchronous multiplayer.
    Classic mode. Stage based version of the game with six stages.
    Prequel mini game. Digital only game that those of us who backed will get one copy each physical and digital version we've purchased.
    Roguelike mode. Procedurally generated mini castles with a boss for infinite replay value, includes password system so you can replay a favorite or let a friend play a favorite.
    Boss Revenge mode. Play as several bosses within the game using their attacks and go through their own mode playing against newly developed hero bosses.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-07-2015 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Red Ash is getting a console port if it hits one million, but there's a catch. The people funding the project get to vote on which of the three consoles the game gets ported to after the kickstarter project ends. What a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow that is an unavoidable disaster having that. Fanboy jerks picking which only console gets a real version of the game so they can hold it over others heads. That is what that situation will cause right along with infuriating many donators when they see their money did not get the physical release they wanted. One could hope people spite pull out a lot of funding if that happens to them as revenge. You just dont bait and let fanboys pull the switch like that. They damn well know there are a lot of people out there who only wil buy physical games looking at the Mighty 09 rollout, you just cant do this without blowback. If I were fundnig, I know Id demand a refund if I didnt get it on the system I needed it on.