Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Red Ash (Inafune's "Spiritual Successor" to Mega Men Legends)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Developers rarely have spare capital laying around for new games. That's why publishers exist. Publishers are the money men. So while you're making your current title, you're panhandling to publishers for funding your next. This is why exclusivity deals exist.

Its absolutely NO DIFFERENT then using Kickstarter again. Except that you, the public, get to see how the sausage is made.
    Well then he needs to get a publisher, the whole way he's panhandling this out before the first project it out is just dirty. I know most developers don't have the cash lying around and they need a publisher to bank their work. So the question remains, if he can't find a publisher, is his work all that good and worth having out there if there's no industry confidence in him enough he has to beg random gamers for cash? Clearly his scheme to get money on projects the industry itself has no interest in publishing is backfiring if kupo there is right and they don't be funded in time. He should have held off until Mighty 09 was out and had been played a couple of weeks to build the confidence needed from tight fisted gamers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The difference is, the publisher gets a cut and oversight of the project.

Kickstarter donators are just chumps that give money away.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I think if he wants to release a mega man legend type game he needs to work a deal to buy the rights to that game and release 3.

I don't imagine Capcom is going to do anything with it any way, probably get it cheap, relatively speaking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not likely, well to the cheap part, but they appear to have minimal to no interest in mega man games, just cool merchandise to poke a stick at the old fans like the upcoming badass helmet and blaster.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

...so did anyone here vote in the poll?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I voted for PS4 for the console port and the chick that looked like the Mega Man Legends mayor.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Hmm, I'm not liking this part:

UPDATE (July 17, 2015): TIER UPDATE! Now, when you pledge $79 or more, you will receive the main story of RED ASH ("The New Order Conspiracy", estimated at 12 hours) for free! This will be a digital copy on PC or console, and you will receive it in addition to your copy of "The KalKanon Incident".
    So in other words, pay $25 for the first 8 hours of the game, or pay $79 for the full 20 hours of the game. And if you want a physical copy, that'll be $10 extra. And physical copies will only be available for Windows. And it won't include the "The New Order Conspiracy" part on the discs, you'll have to download that. Oh, and if you want a _box_ to store your game in, a "stylish physical box" and t-shirt will cost you another $30. What, for $89 you can't provide a decent box for the game? What'll they be shipping them in at that price then - a paper slipcover?

And concerning the anime, it's $24 for the HD download. The duration of the anime was originally going to be 5 minutes, but because people were concerned about how short that is, they are going to add 7 more minutes to the beginning and 6 more minutes to the end. But from the sounds of it, the added content will be a beginning consisting of a bunch of pans over still images with some music and voice over to explain things and introduce the world, and an ending with "special" content and a full-length version of the ending theme song. My guess is that the "special content" will be footage of the director, animators, and other staff working and concept art showed pan and scan style. I know animation is expensive to produce even when digitally made, and making it HD costs even more, but for a goal of $150,000 to produce this show, I expect more than what this will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow it's like the grumbling in here of just being cheap and sleazy with this whole thing is playing out better(worse) than anyone could imagine. I hope some seek refunds/terming their pledges. Then again they'd need to be funded to tap any of it, and with 10 days left and that far behind, I think the message is delivered people aren't happy with their tactics. Hopefully they don't make an excuse up and learn from it.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$89 for a physical version and only on Windows is too steep a climb for me. I funded Mighty No. 9 at the $20 level and I'm still feeling a bit burned over how they handled the physical release of that. Oh well. I'm sure this one will come up with the necessary funding at the 11th hour but between Shenmue, Bloodstained, and a couple of other KS projects I put into, I'm tapped out.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

They've released a Red Ash "demo" although it's not really a demo at all. Also seems thrown together really quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZoQAVmmjq4
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if that's some kind of deserpate slap job plea for more money looking how much they need and 5 days to go I think this project is screwed. Maybe try again after their first game is out and hopefully rates and sells well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not a demo and wasn't advertised as such. It's a pre-alpha prototype. I thought it showcased the graphical style fairly well, and I'm hoping the game reaches its goal.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It definitely feels to me like the concept is played out, but no not until you brought pokemon into it I had thought of that, and now I can't get it out he probably ripped it off from there. As you said Ash was the hero in the anime, but in the game itself, RED was the main characters name on the red cart (blue on blue) in the US. Furthermore in the manga, the translated one, the dude's name is Red too.
    Except the character's name is Satoshi in Japan, and Inafune is from Japan, so... probably not. Chances are Inafune isn't even aware of the character's localized name in the US. It's pretty obvious where the title is coming from, seeing as the Mega Man Legends games are called Rockman Dash in Japan. They just took the "Dash" and then added the "Re" so that it has the double effect of suggesting doing Dash again and being able to split the title in the middle, producing two different words, making it not quite as blatant that "Dash" is in the title. I'm sure the Pokemon thing is purely coincidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welp, it's official. They found a publishing partner... for The KalKanon Incident, at least. So, at least an eight hour game is coming out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1308824

I donated a reasonable chunk of money, and I'm not sure how to feel about this.
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 07-29-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

What did you expect to happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Just.... Buy.... The...... Legends...... Rights!
    Stop dicking around with a rip off game.

Also if you found a publisher you don't need our money. Not going to pay for the game twice at this point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Just.... Buy.... The...... Legends...... Rights!
    Stop dicking around with a rip off game.

Also if you found a publisher you don't need our money. Not going to pay for the game twice at this point
    You can't buy something that isn't for sale.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I'm sure they would sell it. They aren't doing any thing with it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I'm sure they would sell it. They aren't doing any thing with it
    A) It would cost more to buy it then it would to just make an entire 'spiritual successor' game

B) Just because Capcom isn't using Mega Man now, doesn't mean Mega Man isn't still a valuable property for them.

There is no reason for Capcom to sell the Mega Man property, not at a price that a DEVELOPER could hope to match.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They still use Mega Man currently, just not as a new game. The 3DS is getting a Mega Man Legacy package which is MM1-6 with some extra junk all buttoned up into a thing later this year, and they also just started selling those wearable mega man helmets and hand cannons too. They still want to exploit the fans, just not please them with a new game.