Steam
    Zthun

Original Mortal Kombat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    It's weird, but I'm actually having fun with Destiny.

I'm not into MMO's or multiplayer or anything like that, I'm actually playing the game, trying to pretend it's another Halo single player, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. The story is absolutely horrible ( if there even is a story ), but the gunplay is very, very solid, and Bungie has the best skyboxes in the business. I guess I have to admit that I've heard so many negative things about Destiny, that my expectations were about as low as you could get, so maybe it's a pleasant surprise because of that. I'm relatively early on in the game and I understand that there is a severe lack of content, but at least the minute to minute gameplay is good. I'm talking about the encounters with the enemies. It's just like any other Bungie made Halo game I've played, in terms of the enemy encounters, and Bungie has always excelled at that, and I think they continue that with this game as well.

The graphics look really amazing on my new 70 inch TV as well. It's literally one of the best looking games I've seen on this TV for whatever reason. That has me digging the game as well.

I do fear that soon I'll run out of any appreciable content and keep doing the same things over and over and over, but I haven't got there yet, so I'm happy at the moment..

I know there are much worse games than this...
    You know I did at first too and I detest MMOs. I think to be fair I think it would be best to give a why on that. It's the general poor design of the MMO aspect of the game. Who has ever heard of a modern MMO/Co-opRPG style game where you have no lobby? When I speak of that is a central hub/hubs to the game where there's an open area for people(adults usually) to text chat or even mic if available so people can make friends, talk with existing friends, set up raids, join a guild, manage a guild and so on? This game is as unfriendly as possible to try and get into a group let alone set up one. I never could get with anyone of value in a party for team stuff (non-combat zones, talking story/planets here) and never could we coordinate attacks or ideas how to stomp the enemy since you can't talk unless you add them to your PSN friends list which I think is super obtrusive if you don't know the dude/chick in the first place. Couple that with the various foul ups they did and PR screw ups too from the get go as I got it at launch and it just drove me off it after around putting 20hours or more on it. I got into Venus and Mars, didn't go further. It sickened me a group like Bungie who designed Halo could be so grossly inept in setting up communication lines with players to a point of crippling the enjoyment of the game. Had the game been with those lobbies and ability to chit chat with other players, much like a game like Guild Wars 1 or 2 on PC, Id still be playing it today, guaranteed, as I like space stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You know I did at first too and I detest MMOs. I think to be fair I think it would be best to give a why on that. It's the general poor design of the MMO aspect of the game. Who has ever heard of a modern MMO/Co-opRPG style game where you have no lobby? When I speak of that is a central hub/hubs to the game where there's an open area for people(adults usually) to text chat or even mic if available so people can make friends, talk with existing friends, set up raids, join a guild, manage a guild and so on? This game is as unfriendly as possible to try and get into a group let alone set up one. I never could get with anyone of value in a party for team stuff (non-combat zones, talking story/planets here) and never could we coordinate attacks or ideas how to stomp the enemy since you can't talk unless you add them to your PSN friends list which I think is super obtrusive if you don't know the dude/chick in the first place. Couple that with the various foul ups they did and PR screw ups too from the get go as I got it at launch and it just drove me off it after around putting 20hours or more on it. I got into Venus and Mars, didn't go further. It sickened me a group like Bungie who designed Halo could be so grossly inept in setting up communication lines with players to a point of crippling the enjoyment of the game. Had the game been with those lobbies and ability to chit chat with other players, much like a game like Guild Wars 1 or 2 on PC, Id still be playing it today, guaranteed, as I like space stuff.
    http://www.destinylfg.com/

The community kinda fixed that problem. It's not an in game lobby but it's there. Destiny was meant to be played with close friends, not pugs.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Shenmue.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ Seconded. I loved the atmosphere but never understood the hype for that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had that Shenmue game, bought it on a big sale being curious why people puffed it up so much. I mean I could get around, talk, see things and all that, but it felt like a tech showpiece and not a game. It was all atmosphere, models, but little else of value for the distance I went into it at least.

That is cool fed up people made their own external way to link up Destiny players, but it's very sad it had to come to that and not having Bungie patch something like that into the game. I don't hate Destiny, I found what I had done fun, but it just wore on my nerves with the omissions to the team up aspect. It gets nastier later into it where I was and being able to call in random people or friends through chit chat on a lobby, or joining a guild to do that would have made the difference of my continued ownership.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Halo. If there'd been anything worth playing at Xbox launch, this one would be forgotten as the generic junk that it is.

MGS, I really don't see what people see in the series. I get why the first one on the PSX got attention, but that doesn't make it actually good. Kojima is not worthy of your worship, people!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

KInd of have to really strongly agree with both those selections. Just as the first MGS was something special (as the GBC one was too considering the format) there's nothing awesome about it other than the awesome amounts of canned annoying stealth elements and poor camera/control issues up until recently. Halo is poor that's a definite and it would have been forgotten or just average level supported as another xbox random FPS title had it not been alone so long and puffed up so big to fill all that empty space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthbound. Its made out to be one of the greatest RPGs ever and although it isn't bad it isn't one of the top RPGs at least for me. The characters have no personality. Ness family had more and you only meet the mom for the first few minutes. The music sucks. The enemies were the only decent part of the game.

Shenmue as I agree what Tanooki said. I might of loved this game when it came out but when I played it in 2007 I was intrigued but not overly impressed. it got boring when you had to kill time to get to a certain point. Ryo was just boring as well.

Beyond Good and Evil another game highly praised I found boring. Although I didn't finish it, what I played I got bored. I'm still waiting for when the second one will come out as its been in production since 2009. Another The Last Guardian.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm sure some will be surprised by it, but I couldn't tolerate more than an hour or so of Shadow of the Colossus, and it raises some serious concerns with Last Guardian with me. I tried to re-do Ico which I loved on PS3 too and couldn't stand more than 1/2 of it as it aged badly even with the new coat of paint it received. Both those got raved about for years especially recently with the HD remasters. I also do agree with BG&E, cool characters and story element to it but boring as hell, I quit 1/2 into it, and never understood all the ranting and raving about it and wanting a sequel.

Totally off topic, but since Earthbound was brought up, I've always felt it mediocre but not bad, which is why I keep it around. But one thing I always wondered why all the rabid insane fanboys never did anything with it, but those trippy badass psychedelic backgrounds in all the enemy fights I would have loved to have had as an active background on my computer and further back in history as a screen saver. I'm surprised no one ever did it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy I: Weak story, grindy gameplay.

Final Fantasy III: Somewhat better, but changing classes was a pain. I'm trying to grind, don't make me suddenly powerless just because I HAVE to switch to a class that can cast the plot-required shrinky spell!

(Both were outdone by Final Fantasy V, even if that game doesn't take itself very seriously.)

Also, regarding Halo: **** y'all, that was a cinematic Masterchiefpiece, with in-person multiplayer and everything!!1! Seriously, though, it's much more fun than you're giving it credit for.
    I hate it when people write their initials on a game cart's label. Can't get it off without ruining part of the label!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

COD Advanced Warfare, or whatever the new one is called.

I really dug COD2, and was praying for a modernized COD with a good campaign. I got that with MW, and several successors. It's no RPG, but a decent story and pretty believable.

Then come Advance Warfare. We had a ton of games just like it. Futuristic suits, poor story, just crap.

I'm not a multiplayer guy.

Aside from that, Mario Galaxy. Either of them. I get sick playing them. My family loves them, however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    -Halo (the first one)
    Accessible console FPS that was playable without the mouse-driven reticule shooting common to its PC counterparts. However, aside from the flashy glitz and glamour (which was really only effective during its heyday) it is a really mundane FPS.
    Agreed, but it's worth noting that Halo features the worst level design of any AAA FPS (ever). Only the game's outdoor stages are bearable. Even the seminal FPS game, Wolfenstein 3D, features more compelling level design than the original Halo.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Etrian Odyssey. A lot of Atlus games that get praised are deserving of the praise, this series isn't one. It's a first person dungeon crawler RPG series and imo the most boring, slow paced, grindy series in the genre.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Ocarina of Time
    perhaps not bad, but surely boring and mundane.
    I can't get out of that village. Such a muddy, dull beginning.